The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 5, 2013, 01:17 PM   #1
7n6

nikon scopes

Im looking at Nikon scopes for a Remington 700 chambered in 270 win. that Im about to get, and I came across the prostaff 4-12x40 for $180. It sounds like a good deal and I looked up some reviews everyone seems to think its pretty good but there was plenty of people suggesting spending a little more and get a monarch or buckmaster series by nikon.
I looked it up and theres a buckmaster 3-9x40 for $200 .

My question is , is the buckmaster series really that much better and if so what makes it better. I assume either of these would be good for a 270 win. but if any of you have any other suggestions I would appreciate all feed back.
Old April 5, 2013, 06:25 PM   #2
jmr40

The Buckmaster is well worth the small price difference. There is usually a bit more difference between the 2.

At the $200 price range there are a lot of options, the Buckmaster is one, but I'd rate the Redfield Revolution, Vorex Diamondback, Burris FF-II or Leupold VX-1 as better scopes at the same price point.

The Monarch is another step up and where I'd put my money if buying a Nikon. But in the $300 price range you won't beat a Leupold VX-2. In fact that is the most scope I'll ever need. I have $1,000 Zeiss scopes on some rifles that I purchased used at bargain prices. Even if I had the money, a $300 VX-2 is the most scope I'll ever buy again.
Old April 5, 2013, 07:52 PM   #3
rebs

I jhave the Nikon Prostaff 3-9 x 40 and think it is a very very good scope. I also have a Leupold VX2 and it is a step up from the Nikon.
Old April 5, 2013, 08:06 PM   #4
BoogieMan

I have the Redfield 4-12 on my 30-06. Great scope except it has a narrow field of view. My buddy has a Prostaff Nikon on his Ruger American 30-06. So far it has been excellent. Nice FOV, holds 0,0, light is good and its crystal clear. If your using your 270 for hunting you may want to consider the lower power 3-9 versions. For the most part they have a much larger FOV
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 5, 2013, 08:10 PM   #5
swcc22

Re: nikon scopes

I dont know I only have night force and trijacon optics but Nikon make great cameras u would think there glass is good quality.
Old April 5, 2013, 08:46 PM   #6
Mausermolt

the Prostaff scopes are great scopes. i have a 4-12 on my 6mm and its great for chuck hunting. the only gripe i have with it is that the field of view seems much smaller than similar scopes. +1 on the Leuopold. ive got a VX-II on my 300wsm, and that is one scope that will never leave that rifle.
Old April 5, 2013, 08:58 PM   #7
silvrjeepr

nikon scopes

Catch one of the zeiss 3 - 9 conquests on sale for $299 and you'll never look back. It's a MUCH better scope, and you'll only cry once.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:39 PM   #8
joshobrien77

Re: nikon scopes

I have a prostaff and the glass is great. I also have a leup VX3 on my big game gun. My opinion is that the pro staff has clearer glass but the vx3 has amazing depth of field.

You won't hate the pro staff.
Old April 6, 2013, 01:38 AM   #9
Pond, James Pond

I have a Prostaff.

It was the first of the two scopes I have bought. It sits on my .22 rifle and is a 3-9x50.

It is clear, solid and hassle free. It is also basic. I don't need anything more from my scope. At .22 distances I can make all my range adjustments with the BDC reticle. I could do the same at CF distances except that I find it hard to judge longer distances.

Would you be happy with it? Yes, I believe so.
Are there better scopes for you out there? Yes, I believe so.

In other words, only you can decide if it is the best for you. In terms of build it is good quality. In terms of features, only you can decide.
Old April 6, 2013, 09:43 AM   #10
7n6

Thanks for all the responses! Ive been researching and looking at scopes non stop, I think I might go crazy if I keep looking. I finally came across a nikon buckmaster 4.5-14x40 for around 300 , I think im gana go ahead and pull the trigger on it.
Old April 6, 2013, 08:52 PM   #11
Mauser8mm

Vortex!

Skip Nikon and go with the Vortex Crossfire or Diamondback. They are extremely great scopes, and they have an unlimited lifetime warranty!

It's better to be silent and called a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
Old April 11, 2013, 02:36 PM   #12
WallaceB

I really like the Minox 3-9 x 50 I picked up for $299.00, great European glass