The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 10, 1999, 07:20 PM   #1
Bennett Richards

Just wondering if Brenneke 3" rifled slugs are a good choice in a slug round?

Ben
Old November 10, 1999, 07:46 PM   #2
B Shipley

I'd stay away from 3" loads unless it was a grizzly I was aiming for. Try www.gunspot.com for some insights into Brenneke slugs. You'll have to search, but I remember reading positive comments.
Old November 10, 1999, 10:36 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A smoothbore,unchoked 870 here puts the 2 3/4" Brenneke into 2 1/2" at 50 yards with a peep sight. Effect on deer is awesome. I doubt they'll drop any faster with the 3 inch.
Old November 11, 1999, 04:18 AM   #4
oberkommando

Cape buff have fallen to the brenneke. I have tested on Iron sink (Tougher than most game) the rott outperformed all the other major brands 3" slugs, plus rott is heaviest at 600 grains, these things kick ass. If you want max penetration this german bad boy is the one. I have well over 100 rounds of this slug and its a real "kick" to shoot them rapid fire in benelli. Hey, I only do this when I hear the voices!

LAPD should of had a some in the North Hollywood shootout, but them agin this would have interfered with the new kinder and gentler training the cops do with shotguns these days.

Bennett we still havent partied.
Old November 11, 1999, 11:51 AM   #5
Bennett Richards

oberkommando,
OK I'm game... I live in San Diego... Where abouts in CA are you unlucky enough to reside? Like to go shooting sometime.

Ben
Old November 11, 1999, 10:22 PM   #6
oberkommando

Bennett I sent you at least one (sorry if more) email(s) my connection kept disconecting. If you don't get I'll just post here let me know, and what did ya want to shoot shotgun, rile, pistol? My buddy with truck is member hkg3 on this forum but he dont post too much and unfortuantly his Hk91 is in washington state where it is very leagal, but we have access to at least one vang comp and maybe either of mine if they get done anytime soon, and the usual bolt gun, 1911's, M1A'S, mini's, couple of long colts, Bar 300mag, let me know what ya like and maybe I have one you want to shoot. And if ya got a 50bmg I'd love to shoot it and if not maybe we can get Gale to join us.hehehe
Old November 12, 1999, 05:54 PM   #7
TJ

I'll just second the other good things being said about the Brenneke slugs. IMHO the 3" 600g Rothweil is one of the best around. My smooth bore 870 prefers them to all the others, and they are fairly cheap (for Fairbanks). At close to medium ranges, they group just as well through my rifled barrel as sabots do.

I always carry two in the magazine when I am out in the bush. Damn fine slug.

Safe shooting,
TJ