The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 3, 2015, 12:52 PM   #1
zanemoseley

Inconsistent sizing on my Hornady LNL...

Got my new LNL set up for .45 and like it a lot. One of the issues I am having is it seems that maybe 1 of 10-20 rounds isn't sized right. The rest will drop in my case gauge no problem, the rest won't push in far enough like the base either isn't sized down or is bulged. This will cause it to not lock into battery correctly.

Is this usually due to the sizing die being either too high or low or due to inconsistent motion on my part with the reloader? The brass is deprimed then S/S pin tumbled and lubed with Dillon case lube. Depriming is never done on the LNL.
Old March 3, 2015, 01:11 PM   #2
caz223

If you're using a brand or sizing die that's set up for a progressive press, and you're running brass that's been 'glocked' or shot in a gun with a relatively relieved chamber at 6 o'clock you could get the glock smilie blues.

Just using dillon dies as an example, they are trumpet shaped for easy alignment and maximum throughput, but standard Lee size a bit lower down the case.

I don't just decap and wet tumble, I decap/resize first on a Lee loadmaster with standard Lee dies, and that seems to take care of it. Then I use my ultrasonic to clean my brass.
That also makes it very easy to operate because the resize operation isn't there to muddy the feel of the press.
Old March 3, 2015, 01:11 PM   #3
Snyper

Quote:
inconsistent motion on my part
There's the most likely answer
Old March 3, 2015, 05:09 PM   #4
schmellba99

If your sizing die is set up right (double check this one), then odds are it's inconsistent or lack of a full range of motion. The key with any progressive is to be very repetitive with the pull of the handle - it has to be the same every time so you get the same range of motion on the ram.

I use my LnL to deprime - love the fact that all i have to do is load brass on to the plate and let the press do the rest. I use a Lee universal decapping die and deprime everything, then wet tumble with SSTL, lube and then load with the sizing die not actually depriming anymore, but still sizing the brass on Step 1.

I would also suggest a taper crimp die at the last station - Hornady, Lee and I'm sure RCBS and others make one. I like having it to ensure that the rounds are in spec before they pop off the press.
Old March 3, 2015, 05:58 PM   #5
PA-Joe

Also check to see if this is happening on the first or last round. If you don't have cases in all of he stations the shellplate may be bending slightly.
Old March 3, 2015, 07:23 PM   #6
BigJimP

Your issue may be case mfg related....like Amerc as an example / for some reason is very difficult to resize properly...I suspect there is something different in the brass alloy they are using..

so when I clean and sort my cases...I dump all of the AMERC cases ( and S&B, and any "NT" or non toxic cases...or any case that has non typical markings on the head ) into a bin that goes to the brass recycler... / I seem to be sweeping up more and more odd ball cases off the range floor ( cheap cases from guys buying reloads or old junk ammo from gun shows in my area, is my hunch )....

Keep the rejected cases in a plastic cup...see if there is a trend you can spot...or glock dents, or whatever..../ but I suspect it is not related to your press.
Old March 3, 2015, 07:42 PM   #7
zanemoseley

I'm using Dillon dies. Now that you mention it the shell plate did get scary loose one time even though I put a lock washer on the bolt. Perhaps the improperly sized rounds were the result before I fixed the bolt.

Its definitely got to be something because the ones that are sized right drop right in and the ones that are messed up are like night and day. I'll load some more and keep any eye on the bolt tightness as well as try to perfect my stroke. I'm left handed so its a learning experience using my right hand. Both my other presses, a Rock Chucker and MEC Grabber allow me to use my left hand.
Old March 3, 2015, 08:16 PM   #8
condor bravo

Is the die screwed down to the point where the cases are sized all the way to or even slightly passed the point where the inward extractor groove begins? If not there could be a slight bulge remaining at that point. Unless the die is already in solid contact with the shell plate, try screwing the die down slightly farther.

Last edited by condor bravo; March 3, 2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old March 3, 2015, 09:37 PM   #9
IMtheNRA

Are you putting loaded rounds into the gauge? If so, check your taper crimp measurement at the case mouth. I had a similar problem once and it turned out, the crimping die got loose. The case mouth was only about .002 bigger than spec, but that was enough to fail both the gauge and the "plunk test" in the barrel's chamber.
Old March 3, 2015, 11:32 PM   #10
GJSchulze

There can be several reasons why some won't fit into the case gauge. A single piece of powder can do it, so blow out the gauge. A slight burr on the case can do it. Run some fine grained sandpaper around the base of the case. I suggest sorting by headstamp because some HS just don't behave well in a press. I finally bought a Lee Factory Crimp die and now rarely have a problem You don't say how bad the fit is, though. If it goes almost all the way in then it's something small. If it leaves 1/8" or more showing, then check your crimp.
Old March 3, 2015, 11:58 PM   #11
KEYBEAR

It is so easy to short stroke a press when you are loading 200 hundred at a time .