The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2015, 01:30 PM   #1
haymaker

WSF Powder

Finding pistol powder is a nightmare. I live 50 miles from the nearest store that sells powder and they usually don't have pistol powder in stock because it flies off the shelves as soon as they get it. The next closest store is 75 miles away.

Instead of buying the powder I want I buy what's available and then try to find loads that fit. I picked up 4 lbs. of Winchester WSF yesterday. I can find load data for .45acp but not for .45 Colt. I've noticed that the burn rate and load data for WSF is very similar to Unique. I KNOW YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO SUBSTITUTE POWDERS but is there a time when you can use WSF instead of Unique?

Fortunately, I have a lot of .45acp to reload but I was wondering if there is any data available for WSF is .45 Colt.
Old February 17, 2015, 01:52 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

There is never a time to simply "plug in" a different powder than one that is listed in published data. Doing so is nothing short of dangerous.

I wish I had some 45 Colt / WSF data for you, but I have no experience with either.

Hopefully, somebody will chime in with a decent starting point for you. It would be helpful to specify your purpose (target, range shooters, self defense, etc.) and which bullet you intend to use.
Old February 17, 2015, 02:11 PM   #3
WCWV

I understand what you're going through with powder going off the shelf. I had that problem also, so I asked the gun shop if I could prepay for some and they could hold it for me, they said sure but I didn't have to pay first. They took my name and number and when they get it in they set it aside and call me. We've done this a few times now and everything works great. I have some 7828, tite group and some primers on order now. Might be something you do with your shop. I wish you luck
Old February 17, 2015, 02:24 PM   #4
Armed_Chicagoan

Could be that in such a big case WSF won't ignite reliably and that's why there's no data for it.
Old February 17, 2015, 03:07 PM   #5
Idaho Spud

Considering there are loads from Clays to 2400 it's hard to understand no WSF data for 45 Colt's cavernous case. I did a search on the web and found people who have used it safely in the past. Not recommending this by any means, but let's face it, wildcatting would never have happend in pistol or rifle if listed loads were deemed to be required. And a few adherents died of natural causes. Still, it's nice to have known data.

Last edited by Idaho Spud; February 17, 2015 at 03:18 PM. Reason: coupla typos
Old February 17, 2015, 03:14 PM   #6
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
Could be that in such a big case WSF won't ignite reliably and that's why there's no data for it.
Bingo!

WSF is great for 9mm,40, and good in 45 but not for powder puff loads. It needs to be loaded closer to max to get good burn and even then it is dirty as a cranked up diesel truck! Actually dirtier FME. But it performs well as far as velocity goes. Also noticed accuracy is horrible on the low end. Fair when loaded up but touchy and have to work with it to get most accurate load. YMMV

Actually 10mm and 38 super +p are the only longer cases I have ever seen data for. None for regular 38 super. Just seems it does well/better in shorter case pistol rounds or when the case can be filled up more!
Old February 17, 2015, 03:32 PM   #7
Idaho Spud

To be honest I've only used WSF to load 40 Smith defense loads with 180 gr. bullets. You think there would at least be some data for 45 Colt "Ruger only" loads with the heavier bullets.
Old February 17, 2015, 04:59 PM   #8
Emerson Biggies

I get on Wideners web site every day and check their powder. Two days ago they got some H110 in. I e-mailed my buddy about the fact and told him it would be gone tomorrow.
It was gone the next day.
You need to beat the keyboard every day and behold the powder will be there briefly. Act quickly.
Good luck
Old March 2, 2015, 03:37 PM   #9
olddrum1

Are you loading 45ACP which data can be found I Believe or 45 Colt. Talking about this with the good folks at Hodgdon today. They said that Winchester was not big on working up loads and their contract with them did not require them to work up loads. Could not find anything in my library on this.