The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 3, 2005, 10:13 PM   #51
shep854

Interacting with dogs can be as complex as people. In my work, I "deal" with dogs daily. For the most part, they will respond to your action. If you are freindly and non-threatening, they will be friendly right back. If you are fearful, they will pick up on it and start showing aggressiveness. Many dogs, in fact will "test" you, as a form of pack dominance, I guess.

Many times, their "aggressive" behavior is actually a bluff, and they are acting out of fear. If you leave them alone, they will back off. I am thinking of one that I saw today. When I first went onto its yard, it barked and snarled like I was lunch. From expereince, I sensed that it was a fear reaction, so I didn't respond in kind. Slowly, he accepted me. Today, when I opened the door of my truck, he walked up for his back scratch.

I DO respect a strange dog, though. I'm not so confident in reading dogs that I will get careless around the questionable ones. If necessary, I will kill them for protection.
Old May 4, 2005, 04:27 PM   #52
Bullrock

SBrocker8

Did you get a license to transport that Maine Coon Cat across state lines??? Hhuuum? You may have violated the Mann act!
Old May 5, 2005, 12:05 PM   #53
Bosshoff

Always shoot the lead dog (alpha male). Fido in a pack of his pears is a completely different animal, with a whole other set of rules. Usually if the alpha male changes behavior, the other members will follow suit. So if you shoot the lead dog, and he drops, the other dogs should break off the attack.
Old May 5, 2005, 02:56 PM   #54
ADBF

"Always shoot the lead dog..."

Good point. If you get the Alpha Dog you probably won't need to shoot any followers.
Old May 5, 2005, 03:49 PM   #55
techbrute

My Dad got charged by a navy security dog who was released into the secured area too early. He became aware of the dog because the handler was running behind him yelling at the dog. The dog (a German Shepard) jumped at him and Dad stuck his hand out. He grabbed the dog by the jaw and broke his neck. The handler then proceeded to threaten him for killing the dog. This happened a while back, but he still has a scar on the web of his hand from the dog biting down right before he twisted.
Old May 5, 2005, 04:17 PM   #56
stephen426

I have been in situations where a medium sized dogs came running at me and barking. I have never pulled a gun but I have pulled my folding knife just in case. Thank God I have never had to do anything as I am also a dog lover.

I was told from a very young age not to run since that will just make them want to chase you more (prey drive). I have also learned not to make eye contact as this is seen as a challenge to agressive dogs. This may not work in all circumstances but it beats shooting every dog that runs at you.

If the dog was a more agressive breed and it looked like it was charging me, I would have the knife ready but I would try to kick the crap out of it first. I have had a few years of martial arts training so I hope I might stand a chance. If not, fido is going to get skinned.

Some of you guys are saying that agression is trained and not bred. I do not agree 100% with that as genetics does play a role in agression and dominance. I have an 80 lb. Akita and she is pretty nice around people. She will not tolerate ANY agression from ANY dog. That is just her nature. She almost ate a little Yorkie when she scaled my fence a while back. The Yorkie was probably barking its little head off defending its property but my dog just chomped it. She has been obediance trained and off leash trained but I sure as heck don't trust her 100% off leash with other dogs around.
Old May 6, 2005, 10:42 PM   #57
Topthis

Techbrute,

I had a friend travel to Japan and train (martial arts) in a School that is notorious for its brutality, toughness and having a reputation for training Yakuza bodyguards. One technique he had observed was that of killing dogs by allowing the dog to jump up to attack and the defender putting up his forearm, as the dog jumps up and bites down on the forearm, the defender quickly, then locks his other forearm behind the dogs neck and then pushes his arm with the dogs jaw latched onto it back to break its neck. He told me that it was a truley disgusting sight, not only because of the senseless killing of the dogs, but also because the ones testing the technique were also all bloody...especially the ones that did not execute the technique quickly enough, the dogs tore the crap outta their arms. One thing that he said really stood out was the very visible audience of japanese men wearing dark suits and dark sunglasses...some even had missing pinkies.
Old May 6, 2005, 10:50 PM   #58
techbrute

Topthis,

To my knowledge, my dad never had any asian martial arts training. Based on his tone while relating the event to me, I'm sure he'd be surprised to find that people practiced it.
Old May 7, 2005, 03:13 AM   #59
IZHUMINTER

My boss' brother is a cop and former animal control officer for one of the larger departments in the Twin Cities. His advice when attacked by a single dog and unarmed is to ball up one hand into a fist and try to shove it as far in the dog's mouth as possible. It will be too big to swallow, and hands are both fairly tough and fairly free of exposed arteries. The other hand is then free to grab the dog's throat and lift it off the ground, or choke it or body slam the critter. Most dogs weigh less than half what an adult human does...we have mass on our side.

Now for three dogs...he said "You'd better have a gun."
Old May 7, 2005, 12:52 PM   #60
stephen426

One thing you guys should not forget is how fast dogs can be. Their reaction time is incredible so all of this "I'm going to stick my hand down its throat and choke it" tak is a bunch of crap. As for picking up a dog and body slamming it, any dog you could pick up like that probably isn't a credible threat.

I will now back up what I just stated. I have an 80 lb. akita female. I can throw a ball at her at a very fast speed and she can catch it almost everytime. She will pick up on any tiny movement and react in the blink of an eye. Humans have crappy reaction times compared to most animals.

With that stated, I still think you should try to kick or punch the dog as you can still do damage for the entire arc or swing of the blow. If there is more than one dog, that will be a lot more difficult. I would say try to jump up on a car or seperate yourself. If there are a pack of mean looking dogs, I might fire a warning shot and start popping them if they don't turn right away.