The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 22, 2015, 08:34 PM   #1
Lurch37

Pet loads for the .375 winchester

I recently acquired a like new Winchester 94XTR in .375 Winchester that I would like to shoot some. I have hopes of finding some brass, bullets, and other components and doing some cartridge making of my own, thus saving maybe a couple dollars a round over factory ammunition. In that vein, I was wondering if anyone has a favorite load that has worked well for them? Thank you.
Old August 22, 2015, 11:23 PM   #2
condor bravo

This wouldn't exactly be everyone's pet load, but in mine I use what is called a max load of Trail Boss powder and a 255 gr moly coated lead bullet. I just happen to have a local source of moly coated bullets available which is why I use quite a variety of them for lever action calibers. I seem to have a good supply of Winchester brass so cases were apparently not a problem. I could look up some sources for you if you are having trouble finding some. I found my .375 Win at a gun show and considered it to be an excellent purchase, all in all in excellent condition. Remember that when using lead bullets it will be necessary to flare the case necks to keep from collapsing the cases or shearing the bullets. As I recall the die set from RCBS comes with a neck flaring die. If not, get a .375 caliber Lyman neck expander M die for flaring. Another one of those fun guns that everyone doesn't have.

Last edited by condor bravo; August 22, 2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old August 23, 2015, 08:27 AM   #3
Lurch37

Condor, thank you for your suggestions. I have been comparing dies from RCBS and Hornady trying to figure out the differences. Brass seems to be the most costly and hardest to find item as they sell for almost $4.00 a piece on G.B., so maybe it would be wiser to buy factory ammo at $5.00 to $6.00 a round and then you would have the brass.
Those prices are from some G.B. auctions I have followed as factory loaded ammo is scarce and what is called seasonal, which means they, Winchester, only load it once a year or every other year.
Old August 23, 2015, 08:44 AM   #4
condor bravo

Western Bullet Company in Montana shows .375 Win brass available at $14.70 per new box of 20. I have bought some lead .375s from Western intended for .375 H&H but they were not gas checked and were slightly
undersized and not accurate so cannot recommend them but have not tried them in the .375 Win. Western has otherwise been an excellent source of lead rifle bullets with good delivery time. Should also mention that the straight walled .375 Win case should also be flared if using jacketed bullets.

When ordering through Western, $30 is minimum order amount and payment must be made via Pay Pal with any credit card, which seems to be no problem, but you don't have to set up a Pay Pal account. I'm almost receiving bullets continually from Western. When I see that an order has been shipped, I usually immediately order another.

Last edited by condor bravo; August 23, 2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old August 28, 2015, 06:12 AM   #5
zeke

Usual cautions apply when getting loads off internet. Win Brass, Fed 210 primer, Lee size dies and hard LFC. From 20 in Marlin.

200 gn Sierra fn
40.0 grains 1680 for 2365 fps, vg accuracy
37.8 grains RL7 for 2170 fps, vg accuracy , compressed

220 gn Hdy
37.0 grains 1680 for 2200 fps, vg accuracy
35.5 grains RL7 for 2030 fps, vg accuracy

Win factory 200 grains got 2018 fps

255 gn Barnes original
30.0 grains 1680 for 1850 fps
32.0 grains RL7 for 1860 fps

Started with RCBS dies, but they sized the cases way too far. With a case s stout as the 375 win, excessive sizing and trimming is a pain.

Last edited by zeke; August 28, 2015 at 02:12 PM.