The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 7, 2011, 01:00 PM   #1
spacecoast

Finally cracked the 750 barrier this morning -twice

This morning I used my old S&W K-22 and K-38 revolvers (Models 17-5 and 14-1 to be exact) at our local 900 point NRA bullseye match (there's a second centerfire match the first Saturday of the month) and scored 762 and 750 points, respectively. My previous bests were 742 with the K-22 and 703 with the K-38, both on single match days, so I was very happy to set new highs with both guns (and new all-time highs for me with any gun) in a 2-match session. The 750 with the .38 was a 100-point improvement over the last time I used it in a double match 2 months ago.

My 50-yard slow fire continues to improve slowly (75.7 avg. with the .22 and 69.3 with the .38 this morning), but I'm improving more at timed and rapid fire, averaging 89.2 with the .22 and 90.3 with the .38. As expected, timed fire was 2-3 points better than rapid fire on average. I have both guns set up pretty much the same sight-wise so the only difference is the recoil of the .38, which doesn't seem to hurt me at all in TF and RF, all of which I shoot DA.

I attribute the improvement to practice, naturally. I'm not going to the range more often, but I am dry firing more, and have also been practicing the last couple of weeks shooting pellets into a one-inch circle from 25 feet with a Crosman air pistol.

I started shooting bullseye late last September, and my goal is to break 800 at least once by this September. Maybe unrealistic, but I've still got almost 5 months to get there.

Last edited by spacecoast; May 7, 2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old May 7, 2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Good shooting and the air pistol is excellent practice. You broke the barrier and now it gets tough, every 5 point gain is that much harder than the previous 10 points were but you can do it.

I used to compete with former Olympic shooters and they didn't always hit it either but when they were on they were like machines and the targets unbelievable. Don't get discouraged when you have an off day, they just figured it was a day in the fresh air shooting guns and that was what they liked to do.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--