The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 8, 2010, 03:43 PM   #26
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

therealdeal, if you can legally shoot at all on your own property, I doubt that a deer's location on that property matter at all. I know of more than one deer that's been shot from a farmer's/rancher's window.

SFAIK, the only controls for you would be license, season and legal hours for taking game.
Old November 8, 2010, 04:46 PM   #27
grubbylabs

I have taken deer and other critters on private land like that, its all up to you and your state hunting regulations.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old November 8, 2010, 05:30 PM   #28
markj

Quote:
But as a hunting population we are in the minority at about 7% of the population.
Sorry but in Iowa almost all are hunters and we as a whole wish for less deer so hunt often and show it off.

On I 80 I see lots of trucks and such have dead elk and so on in the back.
Old November 9, 2010, 12:22 AM   #29
therealdeal

ok thanx guyz. that should definately work then. I do need to check the laws to be sure of everything since I don't even know if its legal to fire weapons on the property. we do it, everybody else does it near here, so we think its ok- just never officially checked. sounds bad but it really isn't that much of an issue here but Definately needs to be checked out more thoroughly for the future. I did read the virginia laws a while back and after skimming a long while I am pretty confident the private property shooting isn't an issue legally

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old November 9, 2010, 08:45 AM   #30
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Shooting is rarely restricted outside of city limits, unless a state has enabled some regulation of small tracts. Such regulation is commonly for tracts of ten acres or less.
Old November 9, 2010, 09:53 AM   #31
langenc

As noted there are way more deer than in the 40s...all because of hunters.

A bambi lover never helped any deer and there money goes??I suppose it stays in their pocket.

There used to be Fund for Animals, Cleveland Amory etc.. Where have they all gone? Most donations to thjose groups went for a Lincoln for the 'director' and those kinds of things.
Old November 9, 2010, 04:51 PM   #32
markj

Quote:
A bambi lover never helped any deer
Aint that the truth, years ago in Fla there was some flooding, islands were disappearing. A group of hunters wanted to thin the deer herd so they could survive. But no, peta lobbied got the hunt stopped, went out in boats and traps, got all them deer off them islands but the deer died from trapping and the ride in. I belive this was in the 80s. Let the hunters do their thing and them deer or some of them would still be around now.
Old November 9, 2010, 06:26 PM   #33
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

markj, that was a Cleveland Amory deal. The wildlife folks got pushed into netting and transporting via helicopter. What didn't make the newspapers much and certainly was not repeated by Amory was that the cost was $1,500 per deer, and the mortality rate from injury and stress was around 80%.

I still say that the worst enemies of rational wildlife management were Felix Salter (author of "Bambi") and Walt Disney/Marlin Perkins with the Disney shtick and "Wild Kingdom".
Old November 9, 2010, 06:58 PM   #34
Slopemeno

...aw c'mon. I LIKED watching Jim wrestle the alligator.
Old November 9, 2010, 07:45 PM   #35
shortwave

Quote:
...aw c'mon. I LIKED watching Jim wrestle the alligator.
And then Marlin sitting back and saying something like " that alligator put up a good fight but WE got him didn't WE Jim".
Old November 11, 2010, 04:11 PM   #36
markj

Quote:
I LIKED watching Jim wrestle the alligator.
Disdnt he take on an anaconda once in the water?