The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 25, 2013, 03:50 PM   #26
Duzell

the slip on is what i seem to use on my boyds stock, on the original i picked up a replacement pad, that swaps out with metal plate and gives some extra cushion, but this may make the rifle longer than the slip on one. you have
Old June 25, 2013, 05:09 PM   #27
Erno86

Smith Sights...sells fully adjustable front sights for the Mosin Nagant carbine or rifle. I own three M91-30's...including a 1943 Izzy sniper, but not with the original scope.
The two main danger's with the M91-30 and M-44, is an over-polished trigger group and racking the bolt forward when the live round does not enter the chamber --- but has the front of the round stuck against the top of the magwell. With any forward force of the bolt in this condition...has the possibility of a premature discharge; with the bullet exiting the bottom of the forearm.

I've had a malfunction of this sort in one of my Mosin's but without the premature discharge --- though one of the former RSO's at our range had such a premature discharge with his Mosin --- with the bullet exiting thru his support hand.

--- George Orwell
Old June 26, 2013, 08:20 AM   #28
Duzell

could that have been a firing bin gaping issue? i know some rounds are not built to the specs of the surplus rounds, and the bolt can penetrate hard, or extrude when cocking into firing position enough to fire a round, gaping the pin to be lower has helped with that issue on a few mosins i know had that issue.

and if your looking for parts i can recommend an assortment here or just view my mosin project, i and others have posted numerous addon/additional parts for the mosin
Old June 26, 2013, 03:32 PM   #29
Erno86

Duzell - If you're talking about my post...I don't think the premature discharge on the malfunction, is caused by a extended firing pin gap. It might be some part on the face edge of the bolt that hits the primer after a force is applied. I'm not about to experiment with such a malfunction.

--- George Orwell
Old June 26, 2013, 05:21 PM   #30
Duzell

if that face part is indeed causing a firing hazard, i would recommend buying a replacement part to swap out. buymilsurplus.com does sell the bits and pieces of the mosin nagant rifles, and could be the solution to the problem.

i know some mosins front face can be misshapen and have been known to cause issues, i just wanted to rule out the first case i knew.