The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 30, 2013, 11:04 AM   #1
precision_shooter

300 AAC Blackout

For those of you that load for this round, I have a few questions.

I don't personally load for it, but my good friend is starting to and having some issues.

Loading with 150gr SP's, using IMR 4227 as that's all he can find at the moment.

Hodgdon/IMR does not list load data for 150gr, but the latest Hornady manual does. From previous experiences, it seems the Hornady manual is a little on the conservative side with it's max pressure data compared to other manuals.

He is using the Lee FCD, and thinks he may be crimping too heavily as well.

Now, on to the questions.

1) Can anyone please look at this cartridge/powder/bullet weight combo in the manuals you have and tell me the max charge weight?
2) Can you tell me the max charge weight for H110 and Lilgun as well?
2) Any tips on how to properly set up the Lee FCD to give enough crimp to prevent set back in an AR, but not so much that it causes an initial pressure spike when fired?

Thanks for any help you can give. Hoping to get an average max for each powder and reduce 5-8% and load/test...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old September 30, 2013, 01:17 PM   #2
oldpapps

precision,

I would suggest you check out the information at '300BlkTalk' http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=141

As for some of your questions:
"1) Can anyone please look at this cartridge/powder/bullet weight combo in the manuals you have and tell me the max charge weight?
2) Can you tell me the max charge weight for H110 and Lilgun as well?
2) Any tips on how to properly set up the Lee FCD"

1) I don't have any printed manuals. I understand some of the newer ones have some data. I don't know which ones.
2) Max will depend upon several things, including: gas system (gas port size, length, buffer) and what I have found more sensitive in the 300 - OAL.
2) {the second two} I just screwed mine into the press like any other.

Now wasn't that helpful, not!

I find listings for IMR 4227 with 115 grain Rem bullets and 125 grain Speer TNT HPs, 17.4 and 16.9 grains respectively. These are NOT my loads or data and I don't know anything more about them.

Lil'Gun and H110/296, here I can speak (with a keyboard) with some knowledge.
I load, most of the time, on the wimpy side, caution rules.
My standards loadings, my components, my weapon, my way of putting it all together.
Always use loading data from known and trusted sources - you don't know me - use this only as reference information.

Hornady V-Max 110 Grain - Lil'Gun, 18.3 grains - OAL, 2.010 inch - 2204.5 FPS average

Hornady V-Max 110 Grain - H110/296, 19.0 grains - OAL, 2.000 inch - 2302.0 FPS average

GI Pulls 147 Gr FMJBT - Lil'Gun, 15.0 grains - OAL, 2.160 inch - 1902.0 FPA average

GI Pulls 147 Gr FMJBT - H110/296, 16.6 grains - OAL, 2.065 inch - 1945.0 FPS average

Again, only use this as general reference material. I may think it safe in my weapon and be crazy.

The .300 AAC Blackout is a fun toy with great possibilities.

Enjoy,

OSOK
Old September 30, 2013, 01:36 PM   #3
precision_shooter

Thanks for the info and link! Much appreciated
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old November 4, 2013, 04:13 PM   #4
Sharkbite

Overcrimped??

I just bought some 300 blackout ammo on line. When it arrived i saw the case mouths had a SERIOUS crimp in them. I pulled one apart and the crimp is so deep it actually compressed the bullet at that point

Im new to reloading but that seems like it would make pressures go up???

Anybody have info on crimp vs pressure??

Thanks
Old November 4, 2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Valornor

Yes a crimp does affect the pressure. Will it over pressure a round? If your loads are riding the edge of maximum maybe.

I know a crimp can, in some instances even out velocities since it takes slightly more pressure to get the bullet out of case...but I dot think I've personally witnessed that in any of the times I've tried to compare, crimp vs no crimp.

Looking for a new blog dealing with firearms and reloading, check out http://theheadstamp.com/
Old November 4, 2013, 09:53 PM   #6
SVO

Is your buddy developing sub-sonic or supersonic loads. The 300 Blkout is one of those calibers where you can go either way.
Old November 4, 2013, 10:34 PM   #7
precision_shooter

Both sub and super but having issues with the super with lighter bullets.
Since my original post, he has played with his equipment some, got a little more neck tension on the bullets and it's shooting better. 1/2" - 3/4" at 50yds.