The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 28, 2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Gunscribe

Why Glock 34?

I own an HK P30L and a Beretta 92fs. I would like to start shooting IDPA, but competitors in the IDPA favor the Glock 34.

Why would the P30L and the 92fs be inferior to the Glock 34 for IDPA shooting?
Is it because they are DA/SA and the Glock is striker-fired DAO? Does it have something to do with the magazine release?

I am wondering whether I would be better off eventually getting the Glock 34 for IDPA, or whether there are any mods I could get for the 92fs or the P30L that would make them equally suited to for IDPA shooting.
Old February 28, 2009, 10:51 AM   #2
Axel357

P30L would make a wonderful IDPA gun. Assuming you don't have the LEM trigger on it, you'd just need to practice transiting from your first DA pull to the subsequent SA pulls. Not hard with some range time. I assure you that you don't need a new gun to be competitive, just put in the practice time and you'll be good to go.

-George Washington
Old February 28, 2009, 11:01 AM   #3
Sam06

I shoot 3 gun and IPSC and there is guy in my club that shoots a 92SF. He does good with it but he practices a lot. The transition is the tough thing to get over and if you practice at it it would be fine. I am not that much of a HK fan but I am sure they are nice guns. I just don't like paying so much for magazines.

The G34 has a large following at the 3 clubs I shoot at. They are good guns and the Glock does have a consistent trigger once you get used to it. I shoot a 1911 in Single stack/Heavy Iron and a G21 as my pistol in 3 gun.
Old February 28, 2009, 11:02 AM   #4
Gunscribe

Axel, why would the LEM trigger be a problem?

"Assuming you don't have the LEM trigger on it"
Old February 28, 2009, 01:15 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

conceptual

The entire concept of IDPA is to shoot the guns you own; no point buying a gun just for IDPA competition.

Shoot the gun you like best. Have fun.
Old February 28, 2009, 01:18 PM   #6
Greg with a Glock®

The G34/35.

Light trigger, 8.5 in length, good front/rear adjustable sight distances on slide, extended magazine catch/slide stop lever and balance.

I shoot a G35 in GSSF competition only and works for me.

Bottomline: Go shoot one.
Old February 28, 2009, 01:58 PM   #7
Gunscribe

mag release

Greg, does the extended mag release on the 34/35 allow you to change magazines without adjusting grip? I find that on both my 92fs and P30L, I have to angle the gun to reach the magazine release.
Old February 28, 2009, 02:34 PM   #8
Greg with a Glock®

No need to change your grip, since the mag catch really sticks out of the frame therefore you don't need to adjust too much:

Go to your local shop and try one out. If you were local I'd let you shoot mine.
Old February 28, 2009, 02:58 PM   #9
Greg with a Glock®

Took some pictures of my long slide's extended magazine catch.

Compared to the standard magazine catch, G27:

Old February 28, 2009, 05:53 PM   #10
Gunscribe

excellent pics

Those are really instructive pics. Thanks for posting.

Clearly the extended mag release would be an advantage.
Old February 28, 2009, 09:38 PM   #11
allenomics

Isn't the G34's trigger pull about 3.5 lbs? That's probably part of the reason.
Old February 28, 2009, 11:16 PM   #12
FLJim

Quote:
allenomics wrote:
Isn't the G34's trigger pull about 3.5 lbs? That's probably part of the reason.
Yes. Tho now they call it a 4.5 lb. connector, because, if I understand correctly, that's closer to the actual trigger pull weight with what they (used to?) call the 3.5 lb. connector?

I've twice had the opportunity to play with a close friend's G34 recently: First on a pin shoot (1st time ever for me) and, today, shooting paper. The trigger is no finely-tuned 1911 trigger, but it's pretty nice. I shot pins "ok," for a first-timer and not having had any handgun practice for over six months. Again, today, shooting paper at 7 yards, free-hand, slow-fire, I made one big hole, save a couple fliers (which weren't all that far off) with 15 rounds. And I wasn't even trying all that hard. Again: Hadn't had any pistol practice in months.

I can see how, with a bit of practice, I could become pretty wickedly good with that pistol in pretty short order. Never been a big fan of Glocks, tho I've always felt they were good guns, but I have to admit: I can't help but be impressed with the G34--at least in my hands.

To the OP: Suggest you rent a G17 (that would be the closest thing to a G34 I imagine you're likely to find for rent), or, if possible, and better yet, a friend's G34, to see if it suits you.
Old March 1, 2009, 11:33 AM   #13
Wasabi

I've been thinking about picking up a G34 myself. Does anyone have any experience with the trigger kits offered here:
http://www.vanekcustom.com/3.html

Worth the money? Is it better to stick with the stock trigger setup for carry/HD and just get used to it for IDPA?

Thanks.
Old March 1, 2009, 10:11 PM   #14
Socrates

I just shot a tricked out G 35 today. I will say that I"ve NEVER had a glock with a 2 lb or less trigger, super short reset, and hyperaccurate. I'd expect to have 3-4 grand in such a gun, and, he had about 1500.

Bad group, last session, rapid fire on a freezing, raining day at the range:

To answer your question: Getting 'used' to the stock trigger is not going to make you shoot well. There is a huge difference between the stock glocks, and a Race glock, and, you will NEVER shoot the stock trigger as well as this 'race' trigger setup.
Old March 1, 2009, 10:43 PM   #15
Gunscribe

accurized

Socrates, does this 35 have a match barrel?

With the mods on it, can it be shot in stock competition?
Old March 1, 2009, 11:11 PM   #16
Socrates

Sorry, can't answer that. Guy next to me, shot REALLY well with it...
Old March 2, 2009, 06:36 PM   #17
Axel357

Gunscribe - I didn't mean to imply that having the LEM trigger would be a problem. I meant "assuming you don't have the LEM trigger" only reference to the fact that you'd have a regular DA/SA instead and would therefor need to practice that DA to SA transition.

-George Washington

Tags
beretta 92 , glock , hk p30l , idpa