The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 13, 2009, 09:27 PM   #1
indybrad

Edward Maynard carbine?

Have an Edward Maynard 50 cal carbine. Can anyone give me some info on this Gun. I assume it's from the civil war era. It says Edward Maynard patentee on one side of the frame, and Mass Arms on the other. Thanks
Old January 14, 2009, 12:41 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Maynard was, believe it or not, a dentist in Baltimore (I think) and a very prolific arms designer from the 1840s through the 1870s.

He designed a number of cartridges to go with his firearms, most being externally primed with a percussion cap on a nipple (the same manner as the Burnsides carbine).

His most famous invention was probably the Maynard tape primer system, which used priming caps enclosed in a paper roll, not unlike modern children's caps. The system was used on the Model 1855 Springfield rifled musket and also the 1855 pistol, but British experience in the Crimea showed that it was not durable enough for use under wartime conditions and it was dropped from production.

Maynard contracted with the Massachusetts Arms Company to make rifles of his design. Some thousands of rifles of his design were used by both sides during the Civil War and were well regarded.

After the war the design was reworked into a centerfire primed cartridge rifle and was produced almost until the 20th century.
Old January 14, 2009, 07:19 AM   #3
indybrad

Thanks Mike. Does anyone know if they're worth much?
Old January 14, 2009, 09:13 AM   #4
indybrad

Well, I guess they are worth something. Found a couple for sale. Didn't know they where going for that much.
Old January 14, 2009, 09:37 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Sorry, no clue what they're going for.

Is yours one of the percussion models, or is it one of the later centerfire models?
Old January 14, 2009, 01:46 PM   #6
indybrad

percussion. Found a couple that where going for around 2,000.00 to 2,500.00. Guess I need to do a little more research.