The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 23, 2007, 12:13 PM   #1
sne7777

Trim Mate Case Prep

I'm looking into getting one of these machines. I have all of the manual tools and just need to know if this "all in one" tool will speed things up a bit.
I'd like to know all of the pros and cons to this gizmo.

Thanks
Old December 23, 2007, 12:50 PM   #2
snuffy

Like this?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...099&t=11082005

I have one, it works as advertised. I find the name a bit miss-leading. It does not trim. It does all the other case prep jobs like inside/outside chamfering, primer pocket cleaning and flash hole uniforming. You could mount any cleaning brush that has the standard thread on it, IIRC 8-32? This could be used for cleaning the inside of the necks. Also a nylon brush could be used to inside lube the necks.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 23, 2007, 01:08 PM   #3
sne7777

That is the one in question. I think i'll get it. We just added some more shelving for our re-loads and componets, the bench has room for it now. I'm putting the X-mas money to good use.

Thanks
Old December 23, 2007, 02:06 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

I've got one also. It will make case prep for a large number of cases much easier to handle. You can chamfer, deburr, and clean the primer pockets on 100 rifle cases in the same time it takes to manually do 20 of them.

I agree with snuffy that the name "Trim Mate" is a little misleading. I think they meant for it to imply that it is a good mate for use when trimming, not that it actually does the trimming.
Old December 23, 2007, 07:33 PM   #5
T/C Hunter

Trim Mate

Got one this week. Early Christmas Present from my {got to love her} : Girl Friend. Saves lots of time. Wish I got it a long time ago. A real time saver. Makes reloading even more enjoyable , I would recommend this one for sure. I also got a flash hole Deburring Tool. and a Primer Pocket Uniformer Large and small. I'm all set for now. Next might be Digital scales. Bottom line ; Great Unit !
Old December 24, 2007, 07:18 AM   #6
nodlenor

Trim Mate

I bought one not too long ago and I really like it. I too think the name is misleading because it doesn't trim. I sent an e-mail to RCBS and recommended that they make something simular to Lee's hand trimmer that would work with the trim mate. Maybe if more users would suggest the same it would prompt them to do so. It is a handy machine and would be even better with this addition.
Old December 24, 2007, 07:00 PM   #7
JoeHatley

My wife bought me one for Christmas a few years ago. I love it. A real time saver.

Joe