The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2007, 07:14 AM   #51
ShootingNut

Sarge

From your post, I disagree because obviously if you can shoot more (with the same cash), you have more rounds. More rounds, divided into "the same cash" equates to less cost per round by reloading.
Am I missing something here?
Personally, I wouldn't have 3 thousand rounds always on my shelf, if I had to go out and buy them retail.
Old December 19, 2007, 06:31 PM   #52
jamaica

Is reloading still paying off? Yes!

I figure I can reload my ammo for about half the cost of decent off the shelf ammo. Either rifle or handgun ammo. Sometimes less, depending on the buy I get on bullets.

Now if you went for the RCBS Rockchuker kit, I think they are about $260. Dies and a shell holder maybe another $35-40. So for around $300 you can set up in good style. With the cost of large caliber hand gun ammo, at close to $20 per 50 these days, it doesn't take long to pay off the setup.

Be warned though, if the reloading bug bites you, you will never save any money. You will shoot more. You will enjoy reloading as much as the shooting. You will always want some new equipment, and most of us reloaders, I am sure, end up with dies for a dozen or more calibers. The need for that comes after buying another new gun.

Is there ever enough guns?
Old December 19, 2007, 06:57 PM   #53
crowbeaner

I still save money when I reload, but the $50 a bag shot is really making it hard to justify not spending $5 a box for new Federal shotshells at Wally World. That's $0.20 per shot and the cost of shot is cutting that awful close. I loaded 300 rounds of 1 1/8 oz. #6 in a heavy trap load last fall with a bag of shot I bought 5 years ago. The next ones will be double the investment because of the shot. Primers are about 1 1/2 times what I paid for them the last time I bought 1000, and wads have gone up about a penny each. If you buy everything but the shot in quantity you can still shave costs, but you have to compare local prices with shipping and hazmat ripoff. .22 shells are still about 2 or 2 1/2 cents if you get the bulk boxes at WM, but I saw target grade .22s for $10 a brick at the gunshow last fall. They aren't easily reloadable though, so I shoot the elcheapos and save the good stuff for longer ranges and small targets. Mr. .222 is about to eat some cast bullet loads and hopefully I will come up with an accurate load or two to replace the 22 magnum. Buy your bullets now because there is no end in sight, and they are only going to cost more the next time. CB.
Old December 19, 2007, 08:37 PM   #54
williamd

Not much savings ... especially if you deal with places like Wally-Mexi-World-Mart. But, it is fun and I build the loads my guns digest best!
Old December 23, 2007, 07:08 AM   #55
wiking

To quote my friendly, local gun dealer when asked if reloading is cost effective.

".45 ACP factory ammo costs about 4 Norwegian Krone per round, reloading it works out to an average of 90 Øre to 1 NOK per round" (1 Norwegian Krone = 100 Øre =18 Cents, give or take a few decimals)
Old December 23, 2007, 11:53 AM   #56
billindenver

Quote:
.45 ACP factory ammo costs about 4 Norwegian Krone per round, reloading it works out to an average of 90 Øre to 1 NOK per round" (1 Norwegian Krone = 100 Øre =18 Cents, give or take a few decimals)
Or in English...yes
Old December 23, 2007, 11:21 PM   #57
kgpcr

Reloading for my handgun with cast bullets is alot cheaper but with jacketed bullets the price savings narrows. I still enjoy realoading!
Smith M&P 40