The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 14, 2001, 08:52 PM   #1
Popsicle

8mm mauser feeding problem

Hi everybody! I just picked up an unissued yugo m24/47 in 8mm ( of course) I also picked up a box of Remington 170 grain softpoint ammo. After thoroughly degreasing the rifle and stock, I ran a magazine full of these rounds through the gun to check function. The bullet has a short roundnose profile (and really anemic ballistics, I might add) and unless I forcefully closed the bolt, the rounds on the left side of the magazine, as you are looking down at the rifle, would hang up between the boltface and what appears to ce the chamber. After un;oading the gun and examining the rounds, I noticed a little lead was shaved from the tip of the bullet. What I'm curious of, is this problem being caused by ammunition that is quite a bit shorter in overall length than the surplus ammunition I have seen? Would it help if I stuck to pointed bullets, even in the softpoint hunting loads? Any advise on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Pat Brophy
Old August 15, 2001, 06:14 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Pat, the length has everything to do with it. You can open up the left side feed rail a little to allow the round to straighten out sooner. If you decide to do this I'd recommend you let a smith handle it. You can do it yourself with a file, but go very slowly and check it often as you go. Relieve only enough to allow it to feed. George