The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 31, 2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Munkster

Advice on cheap hiking gun

The title basically sums up my question, i need a cheap gun to carry when i go into the swamps hiking, i dont want to spend more than 400 bucks and i am open for new or old. Just to help you guys help me i dont care about brands, nor do i care about asthetics or how the gun feels in hand i also dont get hung up on round count as long as it is atleast 5rnds, these are things i can get over or used too easily. The gun wont see thousands of rounds , more tha likely i would put about 500 through w.e gun i decide to make sure she is reliable and i am less worried about two legged critters than i am about gators and other beasties. Also if you guys can recommend any shops down in south florida that arent selling at absurd prices that would be great im having trouble finding any decent shops. Thanks guys all in advance.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:14 PM   #2
edfrompa

Reliability should be your number one concern. That being said Brands do matter. Some brand name guns are more reliable then others. For you and what you want to use it for, if it were me, I would go for a used 357 Ruger or a used 357 Smith and Wesson revolver. That is my recommendation . These are very reliable firearms.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:24 PM   #3
Hansam

Hi-Point. No joke!

For a cheap handgun that will go bang every time and be reasonably accurate out to 15-20 yards a Hi-Point is a darned good buy at around $150-$200 new.

The Hi-Points I've handled would shoot anything you fed them and were reasonably accurate (2-4" groupings). Good enough to take down 4 legged and 2 legged critters you might meet in the woods unless its a bear... then you're up a creek.

The best thing is if you're in a swamp and you do somehow manage to drop your gun in the water its not such a loss as if you went and spent more money on another gun. Heck for that price you could have 2 (or more if you did some good shopping) for the $400 budget you're on!

I might add though that they're ugly as sin and heavy to boot but Hi-Point's CS is top notch (lifetime no questions asked warranty) and the price point really can't be beat for the combination of reliability and CS. Sure its all MIM with pot metal but they're so heavily engineered I have yet to see one fail and I've seen some that were pretty badly abused.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Munkster

What i meant by brand is that i am willing to consider any particular brand if they make a particularly good gun. Im not looking for a gun that can go a million rounds with out cleaning, just something that if i clean and oil with light shooting will serve its purpose. I havent seen any cheap or used ruger revolvers down here in florida but if i see one i will keep it in mind, and the smiths that i have seen here are absurdy expensive. Thanks a lot for your reply
Old January 31, 2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Rifleman1952

A 357 magnum is a good versatile choice, whether your concerns are two or four legged predators in the swamps of the southern USA. If you plan on using it for hunting, make sure you check with your states hunting regulations on minimum barrel length for hunting. In my state the minimum is 5 inches. Taurus revolvers, will get the job done. I owned the Taurus model 608. It holds 8 rounds, and was accurate and reliable for me. You should be able to find a used one of these in your price range. May be a tad heavy for hiking, but with the right holster, it shouldn't be a problem.

If your concern is more with the two legged variety of predator, the Taurus model 617 is smaller 7 shot 357 magnum, that again you should be able to pick up pre-owned, in your price range.

Last edited by Rifleman1952; January 31, 2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old January 31, 2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Munkster

im going to be honest i have considered both a hi-point and a taurus despite the horrible things people say. I figure that like anything you should always inspect and test what you buy, i also dont think i will feel too bad if i lost either incomparison to a ruger or a smith. Since you brought up taurus revolvers how does rossi compare to them?
Old January 31, 2013, 10:16 PM   #7
bigghoss

For your situation I'd suggest a used ruger GP100 or the SP101 as a close second. They're stout revolvers so you can get heavy 180 or 200 grain bullets from specialty ammo makers like buffalo bore. That would probably penetrate deep into a thick-skinned gator and hopefully do enough damage on the way through to stop it. (I'm not too familiar with gators so I don't know for sure.)

Even a used one might run you a little more than $400 but it would be well worth it. There are no cheaper revolvers on the market that I would recommend, especially for heavy buffalo bore ammo or similar heavy loads.

Quote:
im going to be honest i have considered both a hi-point and a taurus despite the horrible things people say. I figure that like anything you should always inspect and test what you buy, i also dont think i will feel too bad if i lost either in comparison to a ruger or a smith. Since you brought up taurus revolvers how does rossi compare to them?
Taurus is a crap shoot and Rossi is Taurus' budget brand. I wouldn't buy either. I had a Taurus and it was junk and I had a buddy that got a Rossi for $50 (that should tell you something right there) and it made the Taurus look good by comparison.
Old January 31, 2013, 10:26 PM   #8
Munkster

Bigg thanks for the input, i went ahead and looked at the 617 and stopped when i saw it was ported. Ive always heard good things about the GP guns, if i decided to go the route of a revolver what should i look for when buying used? I know a tight lock up is important but is there anything else that i should be worried about? also if a revolver seizes can it be repaired? i ask because its the swamps and it will only be a matter of time before i get it all gunked up. I apologize for all the bad questions but i really have no clue on revolvers
Old January 31, 2013, 10:45 PM   #9
wayneinFL

For guns that are going to get wet, I like Glocks. Used Glocks can be under $400 if you shop around. They can stay wet a while without damage. Also, easy to clean out salt or mud. You can field strip it in the swamp if you want, or if it's real bad, detail strip it in a few minutes when you get it home.
Old January 31, 2013, 10:48 PM   #10
Redhawk5.5+P+

If you lived in Vegas, I could sell you a 99% new Rossi 461 for the low price of $400.

Last edited by Redhawk5.5+P+; February 1, 2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old January 31, 2013, 10:52 PM   #11
jabraun98

Used smith and Wesson 686 .357 magnum revolver. Great gun
Jabraun
Old January 31, 2013, 11:23 PM   #12
Munkster

Ive had couple glocks , im going to see if i can find one cheap down here in florida, can you recomend and good shops or pawnshops wayne? What i purchase i guess will depend on what i find, shops down here are ripping people off
Old January 31, 2013, 11:43 PM   #13
EFMAN2K3

Munkster, What part of Florida are you at?
Old February 1, 2013, 01:07 AM   #14
Munkster

EFMAN2k3 i live in near homestead but i frequent up to broward county, any shops you could reccomend would be great
Old February 1, 2013, 01:23 AM   #15
JimmyR

First, a revolver is a great weapon, and very reliable.

If capacity is a concern, I'd look at a Ruger P series, either 9mm or 45 ACP. the p series guns are durable as all get out, and can easily be had for 300-400 bucks.
Old February 1, 2013, 02:00 AM   #16
EFMAN2K3

Munkster, Sorry I am on the Tampa side. Perhaps there will be someone on the forum familiar with your area. Best of luck.
Old February 1, 2013, 03:53 AM   #17
bigghoss

Quote:
Ive always heard good things about the GP guns, if i decided to go the route of a revolver what should i look for when buying used? I know a tight lock up is important but is there anything else that i should be worried about?
Over in the revolver subforum there's a sticky about inspecting used wheel guns. I have a used GP100 and a new SP101 and they're great. A little heavy for what they are but that weight is a result of their strength.

Quote:
also if a revolver seizes can it be repaired? i ask because its the swamps and it will only be a matter of time before i get it all gunked up. I apologize for all the bad questions but i really have no clue on revolvers
That's a bit like asking how much it's going to cost to fix your car if it ever needs repair. It'll depend on what's wrong with it. If you're in swampy areas I'd suggest a shoulder holster just to keep it out of the mud and water that much more. If it does take a swim check for barrel obstructions and when you get home take it apart and clean it really well.
Old February 1, 2013, 04:17 AM   #18
Glenn Dee

Hey Munkster

I also live in South Florida... And I do a bit of hiking... My preference is a .357 revolver. IMO the .357 out of a 4" barrel is probably good for anything that bothers ya in the state of Florida.

My personal recomendation would be a 4" stainless Smith, or Ruger revolver. For your price range I'd find a decent used one, most gun store's have a used display case.

As it happens this is probably the worst time to try and buy a gun. People are still in panic buying mode... and they are buying everything. Most people selling their guns are trying to get ten times reality. This includes revolvers...

Please see the P/M I sent you...
Old February 1, 2013, 08:10 AM   #19
treg

Rossi makes a nice light .357. It's a smaller frame than most .357 / .38 pistols, just right for packing. Never shot one, but the ones I've seen seem well made and solid.

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-deta...umbseries=R357
Old February 1, 2013, 01:17 PM   #20
GeauxTide

For the price, a 4.62" barreled .357 Blackhawk is a great value.
Old February 1, 2013, 01:29 PM   #21
L_Killkenny

I'm a revolver guy all the way but for a shoot little, carry a lot in dirty, nasty places the tupperwear semi's excel. When things go bad they are easier to get the crap out of hands down. The P-series Rugers listed above and their newer SR line (just above your $400) is a great place to start. Revolvers, for all the love I give em, have more than their share of nooks and crannies making cleaning mud and sand outta em a pain.
Old February 1, 2013, 01:39 PM   #22
K1500

Ruger P-Series or maybe a Sigma (if you can stand it). I would go used Glock over the above two if I had the option.
Old February 1, 2013, 03:03 PM   #23
jib

I love my Bersa BP9cc. It's small, light, dependable and as accurate as a short barrel 9mm should be.
Old February 1, 2013, 05:28 PM   #24
chris in va

Glock 26. Leave it unchambered if you're concerned about the trigger safety when hiking. Light, corrosion resistant, plenty of firepower, completely reliable.

I had a Ruger SP101, it was bigger than you'd think and pretty heavy, and only had five rounds on board.
Old February 1, 2013, 06:34 PM   #25
osbornk

I agree with Hansam. I would get a Hi-Point C9. Mine was cheap ($125 used-could have bought new for $169) and it is accurate and dependable. You don't have to worry about it and if something happens to it, you have plenty of money left for another. Best warranty in the business.