The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 31, 2009, 01:58 PM   #26
Field

nvm the 124g bullet is a bit longer. but ok i have bullseye powder and in my book it DOES NOT specify bullseye as one of the powders you can use with 124g bullets.....

theoretically if i seat the bullet to the same depth and used the same powder charge thats been working great with the 115g bullets or maybe a bit larger the 124g bullet should shoot fine shouldnt it?
Old July 31, 2009, 02:02 PM   #27
FlyFish

Quote:
what is the physical difference between a 115g bullet and a 124g bullet? they look identical.
There's only 9 gr of difference (note that's 9 grains, abbreviated "gr" - not 9 grams, which would be abbreviated "g"). In general, at least in this country, all reloading measurements of weight are in grains rather than grams.

There are 7,000 grains in a pound, so 9 grains isn't very much lead and it's not surprising that there's no obvious difference apparent between your two bullets. That's good reason to be an organized and careful reloader, and keep things properly labeled. You might get away with inadvertently using a 124 gr bullet in a maximum load intended for a 115 gr, but then again you might not.
Old July 31, 2009, 02:07 PM   #28
FlyFish

Quote:
theoretically if i seat the bullet to the same depth and used the same powder charge thats been working great with the 115g bullets or maybe a bit larger the 124g bullet should shoot fine shouldnt it?
It might be OK, but you really shouldn't assume that. Unless you really, really, know what you're doing (and maybe not even then) you shouldn't be using any load you can't find in a reputable reloading manual.

In virtually all cases, a heavier bullet will use less, not the same and certainly not more, of the same powder than a lighter bullet, and if a particular reloading manual shows a particular powder with a lighter bullet but not with a heavier bullet, you have to assume they have a good reason for that. They may have simply not gotten around to testing the heavier bullet with the particular powder, but you can't assume that to be the case.
Old August 2, 2009, 01:38 AM   #29
Field

yeah im NOT going to do anything goofy im going to stick with the book but just for my information when you are talking about 9mm cartidges are they all going to be the same overall length? because they DO need to be a given length in order to feed and operate properly in your gun right?
Old August 2, 2009, 08:14 AM   #30
FlyFish

Yes, COL (cartridge overall length) for autos is important and shouldn't vary (much) regardless of the bullet you're using. The COL for a particular bullet is usually given in the manual that shows that brand and type bullet.
Old August 2, 2009, 09:50 AM   #31
exbowhunter

almost the correct answer

I would say DrStrangelove had almost the best answer to all of the questions
when he said (Until you get some experience under your belt, don't fire cartridges that "don't look right". ) forget the first part for safety dont fire
cartridges that "dont look right.. Now I have a question for all of you
how to reduce recoil in 9mm for target shooting.the older I get the more
i want to reduce it. been reloading for 3 years but if it isnt in the book, I dont do it.