The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 28, 2009, 08:27 AM   #1
pinetree

Wow - Model 19 - Sweet! Grip?

I posted that I was thinking about a Model 19. I got it for a little over $400. 6" barrel, target sights and hammer. What a sweet trigger. I had a 629 and its trigger was a beast. It is a -5 so no recessed cylinder and no pinned barrel but I could see no excess wear on the top strap of forcing cone. Only problem - Hogue rubber grips. I have them on my SP101, but this classic blued baby needs something else. Magna style imitation ivory or classic wood from S&W or other? What do you guys think?

I am very impressed by the over package, a light solid 357. I checked my 357 mag inventory - all 125s. Time to order some 158 Hornady XTP's or Speer Gold Dots for the reloader.
Old October 28, 2009, 09:22 AM   #2
FlyFish

Personally, I'd go with S&W target grips. That's what I have on my 19 - I use the gun exclusively at the range and they just feel better in my hand than the magnas. Of course, if you're planning to carry it you'll want something different, but I'd still recommend keeping a classic gun looking like a classic as much as possible.

If you're a perfectionist, you can do the research and determine which grips are of the correct period for your 19, or you can just go with any K-frame grips. They're generally available on Ebay or in the classifieds over on the S&W Forum. The price for good sets has been creeping up steadily over the years, but you should be able to find a good-looking pair of targets for perhaps $60 or so - magnas should run a bit less.
Old October 28, 2009, 09:30 AM   #3
Ricky

Grips

When I bought my model 19 back in 1980 I took it to the range and shot it with the stock grips just once. Honestly they hurt my hand a little when shooting magnum loads. I quickly purchased some Pachmeyer Presentation grips. I still have the original grips. I might be willing to sell them.
Old October 28, 2009, 09:37 AM   #4
MrBorland

What would look the best, or what would function the best? If the latter, as you likely know, grips are highly personal and it takes a lot of experimenting to find your best grip.

If the former, I think the S&W target grips look good on a blued k-frame. Ahrends offers a grips that's stylistically based on the S&W grips. My personal favorite wood would be cocobolo.

You could also try to combine aesthetics and function by going with a set of custom grips from Herrett. Since Bill Jordan was the father of the M19, what could be better than a set of Jordan Troopers*? My personal choice would be the Shooting Stars, though.

http://ahrendsgripsusa.com/retro.htm

http://www.herrett-stocks.com/album.htm

*I understand, though, that the Jordan Troopers are only loosely based on Jordan's design. Also, it's been oft noted that Bill Jordan had some seriously huge paws, so anything based on his design may very likely be too big for me.
Old October 28, 2009, 10:03 AM   #5
CWPinSC

S&W Target Grips. Big, nicely checked, easy to hold on to.
Old October 28, 2009, 10:06 AM   #6
saltydog452

My 19 has the skinny 'service' grip panels and a Tyler grip adapter. The Tyler keeps the back of the trigger guard from dinging my knuckle.

In the past, I've paid talented craftsmen to fabricate grip panels from real pretty wood. More that one or two have cracked along the grain.

The latest was a 'Secret Service' model for the 3", round butt, heavy barrel, 357 Mdl 13. It seemed appropriate for the M13. It was pretty, looked good, and felt good 'till about the third reload when the right panel cracked.

Stuff happens and I rec'd a refund. I'm just not as impressed with pretty wood with lots of grain.

salty
Old October 28, 2009, 04:11 PM   #7
Webleymkv

IMHO, the best compromise between look and function is a nice set of wood Houges. My preference is for Smooth Rosewood or Cocobolo, but everyone has slightly different tastes.

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?...h=22_36_88_250
Old October 28, 2009, 06:10 PM   #8
smee78

What about a nice set of stag?
Old October 28, 2009, 06:15 PM   #9
Tom2

Wood for show, rubber for go. IF you are gonna have an extended range session with mag loads, might switch off. Otherwise exotic woods, stag horn, ivory etc. look sweet and are commonly available for K frames, it all depends if you can swallow the price for some of them. Look on ebay with a search of "k frame grips" not that you have to buy on there, but just to see alot in one place for lookin and wishin.
Old October 29, 2009, 08:55 AM   #10
pinetree

Thanks for all the input. I had a S&W 44mag and for me I prefered smooth wood to rubber grips. The rubber would rub blisters in my palm.
Old October 29, 2009, 02:09 PM   #11
FlyFish

Quote:
I had a S&W 44mag and for me I prefered smooth wood to rubber grips.
Then by all means try to track down a pair of the S&W smooth target grips - they're not nearly as common as the checkered ones and because of that will likely cost a bit more, but they're great to shoot.
Old October 29, 2009, 02:24 PM   #12
GeauxTide

I had Herrett's make some open back Jordan Troopers. Outstanding and beautiful.