The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 28, 2005, 04:43 AM   #1
Nnobby45

Double Feed Mulfunction

I should know this, but I don't: Why can you easily clear a double feed from a Glock, Para Ordnance, or HK USP very quickly while the same malfunction in other pistols like a SIG take much longer?

With the former, why wouldn't you also need to lock back the slide, rip out the magazine, work the action, insert new mag., rack and load?

Reference material is from Louis Auwerbuck's "Tactical Reality".
Old March 28, 2005, 10:03 AM   #2
Handy

No reason I can think of. Those pistols are more alike than different.
Old March 29, 2005, 01:10 AM   #3
fastforty

The method that you describe (lock, strip, rack, insert, rack) is generally accepted as the sure method- under stress, in darkness, etc that works on nearly every semiauto pistol nearly every time.

Sidenote: The most common cause of a type 3 malfunction is an improperly cleared type 2 malfunction. The other cause is a broken extractor, & yer in big trouble with that if yer in the middle of a gunfight.
Old March 30, 2005, 12:56 AM   #4
Nnobby45

Louis Awerbuck pointed out that a double feed in the guns I mentioned could be cleared in about 1.5 secs. I'm not sure why, unless it's because their magazines would be easier to rip out without locking the slide back, or perhaps because you wouldn't have to remove the magazine all the way (I'm guessing).

Since I normally carry a SIG, I'm familiar with the techniqe I described, but still don't know what's different about the Glocks, Paras, and the HK's that would enable the double feed to be cleared so quickly.
Old March 30, 2005, 01:01 AM   #5
Handy

I think Louis has some splainin' to do.