The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 11, 2009, 08:05 PM   #1
protectedbyglock

Stevens Model 70 "Visible Loader" .22 Rifle Help

Hello all. I think this is the appropriate place to put this. Hopefully some of you smiths can help me out.
My buddy at work bought this .22 pump at an auction because he thought it was a neat (which it is). I don't think he really expected it to even function and fire, but it does. It actually works pretty good for the most part. The only problem is that when a new round is pushed up into the (holder? lol), it not only pushes out the old spent case, but it also wants to extract the live round. It doesn't do it every time, but it wants to, especially if you pump it fast at all. It looks to me that the shell lifter is coming up too high. I looked at the patent briefly, but that only tells you so much. Is there a way to adjust the travel on the pump somehow? The lifter is pushing the live round halfway past the extractors, so I'm almost 100% sure this is the problem.
I'm not gonna take this thing apart because just looking at it I can tell that it would be a complete PITA to put back together.
Any ideas? I adjusted he extractors in an out, and actually found a spot that works a little better, but I'm convinced that the lifter is traveling too high. Any way to change this other than just grinding it down, because that's about where I am with it...
Miserable loader makes so much sense at the moment!
Thanks in advance.
Old March 12, 2009, 09:14 AM   #2
gunn308

Look up front by the slide and see if there some adjustment between the grip and the receiver if my old memory serves me right there is a threaded nut on the end of the feed tube or action slide. Nut might not be the right term it's more like a sleeve this might give you something to check on. Hope this helps don't start filing yet they are pretty simple to work on even carnies used to fix them at the shooting galleries at the fair.
Old March 12, 2009, 12:03 PM   #3
protectedbyglock

Thanks, gunn, I'll look into that.
Now I wish I had brought the gun to work, so I could look at it. It's killing me not being able to figure this out. I must have played with this thing for 2hrs last night.

Carnies? Really? Now I feel pretty stupid. So much for a college education.
Old March 12, 2009, 05:23 PM   #4
protectedbyglock

Gunn, I checked it out when I got home, and I can't find any sort of sleeve for adjustment. The slide appears to be one solid piece where it enters the reciever. Are you able to see this sleeve when the gun is fully assembled?

Any other ideas?
Old March 12, 2009, 08:26 PM   #5
PetahW

Now you know why us "old guys" refer to those as the Stevens Miserable Loaders.
Old March 12, 2009, 09:44 PM   #6
protectedbyglock

PatahW, yep, miserable does fit it nicely.
Neat little gun, though, for a conversation piece.

Unless I can figure this out, it's gonna get the dremel. I don't like doing that to any gun, but....
I'm wondering if something internal is just worn so bad it's allowing a little extra play.

Come on people, somebody has to have some other ideas. I know I do. However, they all end in absolute destruction, usually involving fire at some point in the process. The only other idea is to use it as a cool pimp cane.

Functioning would be cool too, though....
Old March 13, 2009, 12:52 AM   #7
gunn308

Hi sorry to leave you hanging but mine is up to camp and my memory banks are filled with a lot of useful stuff and plenty of non useful baggage. Garbage in no garbage out! At the bottom of the magazine tube there is a nut that is four sided in which one side has a 3/8" approx. round key hole slot in which sits an action bar that operates the breech when the slide is pulled. Keep adjusting that nut until you get the results that you want but in order to do that I think you will have to unscrew and remove the outer mag tube then you can drop the the forearm slide. Maybe it's the slide that fits in the key hole. Sorry for the terminology but the last time I had it apart was when I was a teenager and that was 40 plus years ago. Wish for your sake I had mine here, don't start grinding yet. I'm going ice fishing up there this week end and I'll have to bring it back with me. If parts are worn Numrich or Bobs has some parts.
Old March 13, 2009, 11:52 AM   #8
protectedbyglock

Thank you much, gunn. I'll look into this. I'm surprised you can remember this at all after so long! I hope I'm able to figure something out.
So I can't see this nut without taking off the mag tube?
I tried to take the screws out of the forearm yesterday to see if I could see something more. I couldn't get the forearm off, so I put the screws back in so I could start the disassembly in the correct order. Well, then the action wouldn't work. lol.
Took the screws back out, and realigned everything and the action works good again.
I'm gonna hold off on the grinding for now...
BTW, I see you're from maine. Beautiful place. I rode up there about 10yrs ago in a beanbag chair in the back of a dodge dakota (with a cap...I'm not that crazy). Mind you, we left from northern MD. Something like a 16hr ride if I remember correctly. Good times.
Old March 13, 2009, 06:51 PM   #9
protectedbyglock

Gunn,
OK, well, I removed the forearm and the mag tube. I know that you're saying about the adjustable "nut". However, the flat of the nut won't clear the barrel, so I can't turn it. I can only spin it 45 degrees.
It looks like I'll have to remove the barrel. Do you know how I should go about this?
If I can get the barrel off, I'm pretty sure I can do this.
Thanks!
Old March 13, 2009, 09:18 PM   #10
gunn308

try this link:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...archid=1899497
the next to the last thread has a sequence to put these back together and one of the threads has a collector that might be able help you out. I don't remember removing the barrel but I do remember that that sleeve did move down enough to rotate the nut. I think the barrel is held in place with a tapered pin which needs to be drifted out, but I think once you remove the stock then the mainspring things will start to loosen up. This was the second gun I tore into, the first was a Stevens Little Scout drop block, I watched a gunsmith by the name of Bill Morrison make and install a new firing pin for my Visible it took him about 30 min. total.
Old March 13, 2009, 10:13 PM   #11
protectedbyglock

gunn, I tried your link and it makes me register for that forum. So I did, and the link doesn't work. It says that nothing is found.

Here are a couple of pics of what I'm dealing with. They might jog your memory....

This is a pic of the "nut" I think you're talking about. It is threaded to the slide, and can be run in or out. If run in, it would limit the action. The mag tube is threaded directly into this "nut" on one end, slide on the other. Notice the barrel in the way...

Here's another pic:

Old March 13, 2009, 10:19 PM   #12
gunn308

Yeah your right sorry the link was supposed to be for the info in the Savage forum then I did a search for stevens visible loader.
Old March 20, 2009, 10:15 AM   #13
TEDDY

repairs

for gods sake the last thing you want to do is grind some thing.it was made to work with out ginding.you sit and think not grab an axe and chop its head off.there is always a correct solution to a problem.and dont use hi speed ammo as it was not made for it.you would not have your grandfather race you down the road,and that gun is older.
Old December 14, 2011, 11:08 PM   #14
rx44675

Im new to this forum but ill try to help. I bought one of these guns at an auction one month ago and it did not work . i,ve taken it completely apart about 10 times now . You have to take the barrel of in order to adjust that nut .Its not hard to do, take out the taperd pin the barrel will then come out. It will be tight the first time you take it out ,then clean it up and oil it and it will come out easier the next time . DONT grind anything .
Old December 15, 2011, 02:29 PM   #15
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Sometimes it'll take 2 days to get a gun completely apart ! Sometimes you need to sleep on it , and relax . If I start to get frustrated , I just walk away and do something else for a while . Sometimes I'll be letting a problem lie , and the soloution will come to me when I'm watching TV or whatever . Without even seeing your gun , I know removing metal isn't the soloution , because it hasn't grown any since it was new . You have an adjustment issue , the lifter has some type of stop associated with it . That stop is either worn ( probably ) or out of adjustment ( maybe ) , patience is the key when working with little interconnected parts ! I picked up a visable loader a couple of years ago and had to replace both extractors . Got it all fixed up and gave it to the grandson of the guy that used to own it . The grandson is not a kid , and he was tickled to death to get his granddads .22 , 30 years after he died .