The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 22, 2008, 07:28 AM   #1
gedenke

Primer Pockets...what do YOU clean 'em with?

Let's face it, cleaning the primer pockets is probably my least favorite part of reloading. So, let's hear all of your different methods and tricks on cleaning them quickly and efficiently. What works well for you?

I've been using a little hand-held rechargeable dremel tool w/ a small, flat-tipped wire brush attachment, along with that stupid little Lee tool. It works OK, but sometimes it leaves some chunks in the pocket and I have to repeat. I'll post a pic later.
Old September 22, 2008, 07:48 AM   #2
Sturmgewehre

About as quick and easy as I've found.
Old September 22, 2008, 07:54 AM   #3
wncchester

"I've been using a little hand-held rechargeable dremel tool w/ a small, flat-tipped wire brush attachment, along with that stupid little Lee tool. It works OK, but sometimes it leaves some chunks in the pocket and I have to repeat. I'll post a pic later."

Your current method is good. Perhaps too much so?

I mean, if you trying to remove every spec of primer residue you are going further than neccessary. Getting most if it out is, or should be, enough for our purposes. That carbon deposit is brittle and very thin so it can't interfer with either seating nor firing if a little is left behind.
Old September 22, 2008, 10:13 AM   #4
brickeyee

the solid carbide primer pocket uniformer from Sinclair can also be used to clean with no chance of altering the pocket.

It has a built in depth stop that rides on the case head.
Old September 22, 2008, 10:24 AM   #5
Smaug

I use the $3 Lee tool, chucked in a cordless drill. Works great.

I agree that one doesn't need to get every speck out, just enough so that the new primer will seat deeply enough and to visually confirm that the flash hole is clear.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old September 22, 2008, 10:30 AM   #6
Smokey Joe

Well, to be honest, I usually don't...

But when it seems necessary, Lyman puts out a "Power Deburr Accessory Set," p/n 7999050, the several parts of which drop into my power screwdriver w/no problem. Set includes a large and small primer pocket scraper, both of which work like gangbusters.

Set also includes an inside and an outside neck chamfer tool, and several neck brushes, all of which also work slick. Got the set originally from Midway some years back.

BTW, I've seen no discernible difference in accuracy between when I reload after cleaning the primer pocket, and reload w/o cleaning primer pocket. So (since I detest doing unnecessary maintenance in all its forms) I only ream when the primer-pocket-crud seems to have built up to the point where the primer might have trouble being seated properly.

The primer-pocket-crud is friable enough that most of it usually drops out with the primer, on depriming.

This seems a rather cavalier attitude, I know, but practicing thus has resulted in zero misfires/hangfires, and as I said, no discernible degradation of accuracy. I'm not a serious benchrest competitor, but DO value accuracy highly and would notice any but the smallest deviation.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; September 22, 2008 at 10:33 AM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
Old September 22, 2008, 11:29 AM   #7
floydster

I don't clean primer pockets, I did at one time but I don't notice any difference.
Old September 22, 2008, 11:38 AM   #8
NAKing

I use the inexpensive Lee pocket cleaner. Give it a few turns, tap the brass against the table and it's perfectly clean.
Old September 22, 2008, 03:16 PM   #9
DEDON45

I don't clean 'em, except for my .300 Wby ... given it about beats a man to death (no Muzzle brake, synthetic stock Vanguard), I feel like maybe I'll scrub the pocket out real quick (I know, it makes no sense)... I use the Hornady hand tool. My other calibers don't get any such treatment, and all shoot consistently and well, and no problems with primer seating.
Old September 22, 2008, 03:46 PM   #10
putteral

I second the the Lee primier tool in a cordless drill. Makes cleaning a snap
Old September 22, 2008, 06:51 PM   #11
gedenke

Hmmm, good to know. I guess I'll have to curb my perfectionist attitude and not fuss so much if the pocket isn't completely clean.
Old September 22, 2008, 07:20 PM   #12
Wayfarin'Stranger

I use the lee hand tool.

It kills time and excercises my hand.
Old September 22, 2008, 07:32 PM   #13
crowbeaner

I just chuck the RCBS primer brush in my B&D 3/8" drill and give them a short burst.
Old September 22, 2008, 09:20 PM   #14
JAYBIRD78

C4 and blasting cord......

I use the lee tool by hand or by drill on rifle.

Any handgun brass gets NO such treatment.
Old September 23, 2008, 07:13 AM   #15
Sevens

I flat out refuse to do it on any handgun calibers.

I use the Lee tool chucked in to a drill to do rifle rounds.

I'm considering buying the RCBS brush heads (large and small) as a better alternative to the Lee tool... but I get furious when I see what RCBS wants for these micro-sized tools.

I'll tell you what doesn't work worth a damn whatsoever, and that's decapping and running them through the tumbler. Doesn't make a bit of difference, and gets media stuck in the flash holes.
Old September 23, 2008, 11:02 AM   #16
gedenke

I tried my Lee tool in a cordless drill, works much better than by hand. Thanks guys!

While we're talking primer pockets, have any of you noticed any more or less carbon with different primers. Right now I'm using Federal primers and so far, I see no need to change.
Old September 23, 2008, 11:18 AM   #17
zippy13

I don't clean them anymore, I just keep an adequate supply of brand new primer pockets stirred into the tumbler's medium.
Old September 23, 2008, 05:01 PM   #18
RidgwayCO

In the past I've used a Sinclair primer pocket uniformer mounted to an electric screwdriver with a keyless chuck.

Now I'm finding that a primer pocket uniformer on the RCBS Case Prep Center is getting all the work. It's just too easy not to do it, and my primers seat right to the bottom of the primer pocket.
Old September 23, 2008, 05:53 PM   #19
lll Otto lll

I simply put the brass in the tumbler and turn it on.
The interior of the cases come out sparkling as well.

Old September 23, 2008, 08:28 PM   #20
Atticus Thraxx

Quote:
I'll tell you what doesn't work worth a damn whatsoever, and that's decapping and running them through the tumbler. Doesn't make a bit of difference, and gets media stuck in the flash holes.
Sevens, I moved to using crushed English Walnut. Sometimes called Lizard Litter. Can find at pet stores and it's cheaper then purpose-made medias. Give it a try, it works great and very rarely sticks in flash hole.

Looking for K98 bolt #5954 and K98 bolt #31942 for trade. DM me if you have a match. Prizes will be awarded!
Old September 23, 2008, 08:48 PM   #21
Hawg

I don't clean primer pockets and I'm sure as heck not going to run dirty brass through a sizing/depriming die.
Old September 24, 2008, 03:10 AM   #22
Nnobby45

I shoot to much pistol ammo to clean primer pockets. Ammo works just fine.

For rifle hunting ammo, I use a pocket uniformer, which both cleans and keeps pocket cut to proper dimension.
Old September 24, 2008, 11:53 AM   #23
ryalred

I don't clean primer pockets. I can't tell any difference in ammo that has the primer pockets cleaned and that that doesn't.
reloading -- addicted
Old September 24, 2008, 05:34 PM   #24
zippy13

||| Otto |||
Quote:
I simply put the brass in the tumbler and turn it on. The interior of the cases come out sparkling as well.
Your pic makes it look very easy; but in my experience, the primer pockets just get loaded with media, making matters worse. I'm curious, what are you using and does it work for small as well as large primer pockets?