The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 27, 2002, 06:16 PM   #1
12-34hom

Hunting clothing & outdoor gear.

Speaking of threads...

Are there particular types of clothing do you use while hunting differing game animals?

I remember when i first started duck hunting just about anything that i considered warm would do. IE... Army feild jacket, cheap long underwear, bluejeans... etc. Sure i froze my a$$ off, but i figured it was all just part of the game. As i grew older i got smarter [just a little] and got more specific about outdoor wear.

Now it seem like there are so many different types and specific articles of hunting gear that the possibilities are endless.

I buy most of mine at a local sporting goods store, but have spent my share of dollars on catolog items.

One specific question, what are the best cold weather boots you've ever worn? I need a new pair and suggestions are welcome.

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old November 27, 2002, 06:37 PM   #2
H&H,hunter

12-34,

The very best cold weather boots in my opinon are made by Schnees of montana. Very warm pack type boots that are very good hiking boots as well and have great soles. And they will all fit in a stirrup. The Schnees hunter is the ticket.

This is what I wear in the snow if there is no snow I wear Danner trophies in the cold weather.

WWW.Schnees.com
Old November 27, 2002, 07:00 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Most of my hunting is walking hunting in dry country. I'll go sit somewhere until a half-hour or so after sunup, and then wander across country until late afternoon. Then, again, sit until dark.

The daily temperature range is typically 28F to 80F.

Sitting, I usually have on almost everything I own, to keep warm. By an hour after sunup and with the exercise of walking, Bermuda Shorts and Tee-shirt usually seem appropriate. So, layers. Down jacket over a wool shirt over a Tee-shirt. "Quilties" under my khakis. I wear an old wool watch-cap while sitting, and trade it for a Gimme cap for walking. And a little day pack to carry stuff as I peel layers.

Art
Old November 27, 2002, 07:40 PM   #4
Peetmoss

For real cold weather I wear my Sorel Pack boots 10F or lower. For anything above I wear my Rocky boots that are 1000 gram thinsulate and Gortex lined.
Old November 29, 2002, 12:31 PM   #5
Mannlicher

Hunting in Florida, I do not get to experience bitter cold weather. I find that lighter weight clothing works for me.

The best hunting shoes I have found are the 8 inch LL Bean Boots, with the GoreTex and Thinsulate. For pants, I prefer Goretex brush style pants. I hunt a lot in heavy cover, and in the early morning, the vegetation is covered with dew. A thermal long sleeve tee shirt, and a wool shirt over that, topped with a Gore Tex windbreaker or a canvas Barn Coat is usually enough to keep me warm here.

If it gets below freezing, I wear a goose down vest over the wool shirt. An old wool muffler is handy to have also. I like an Outdoor Research dark green GoreTex hat.

I do not wear camo. Dark greens and browns seem to work as well as camo for me.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old November 29, 2002, 09:36 PM   #6
HerrJaegermeister

Cold weather layers

I grew up in Minnesota doing a lot of cross country skiing, snowshoeing, hunting and winter camping. I am a big fan of layers of high-tech materials and even good old low-tech wool.

My retired parents live about 10 miles from an outlet mall in Medford, Minn., on I-35 that has a Columbia store. I get lots of things there in the off season. I always pick up hunting gear in the spring there at great prices.

Layering is the best way to go. The more active you are, the less insulation under the wind and water shell. Sitting while deer hunting means a lot more layers: mil-spec long underwear, a wool Cabela's British commando sweater and polar fleece under Real Tree coveralls and an orange waterproof Columbia shell that is waterproof, windproof and silent.

Cold weather boots mean LaCrosse Ice Mans, a triple insulated pack boot that is terrible to walk in. These are made for ice fishing.

Medium weight Red Ball packs are better for stop-and-move deer hunting. Lots of walking means Danner High Country insulated leather boots.

Blue jeans are the last thing to wear while hunting. When wet, they offer no insulating value. Wool pants are better in the cold. A nylon or Gore-Tex shell over the wool means even more warmth. Again, think layers.
Old November 29, 2002, 10:04 PM   #7
ENC

In my opinion Wolverine boots are some of the best out there.

I really like my Timberlands as well.

Also if it doesn't have Gore-Tex I won't be wearing them on my feet.

When it comes to boots any good quality comfortable pair should do well, no matter what you cannot skimp on the socks. I used to wear normal cotton socks in my 1000 gm Wolverines and could still get cold feet. Bought some actual wool socks and wow what a difference my feet feel warm all the time.