The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2014, 06:25 PM   #51
skizzums

i save a ton on 9x19 and 38/357, but 223 i dont see a huge savings, the upside is i get better ammunition for the 223 for the same cost as fmj at the store

9x19
5c for brass(should be free if your diligent)
2c for powder
3c for primer
6c for lead bullet 9c for plated
about 10c a round w/o brass if buying lead

8c brass
11c powder
4c primer
10c for fmj 15c for hunting etc
35c - 40c a round-ish, i could proly save more if i could find bulk powder
Old February 20, 2014, 07:34 PM   #52
jcwit

Without a doubt, 45 ACP & 30 cal. Carbine. These are the 2 I shoot the most out of 40 some calibers I reload for.
Old February 20, 2014, 07:44 PM   #53
RaySendero

What calibers do you save the most reloading?

Once you get set-up, You save on most (if not all) of your reloads.

For me the biggest saving are:
458 WM, 9.3x62 Mauser and my wife's 30-06 reduced loads.
Old February 21, 2014, 12:55 AM   #54
Lost Sheep

Calculating specific savings

When I first started reloading for .357 Mag, I could load for a nickle a shot. Of course, retail commercial ammo was only 20-25 cents a shot back then. The 1:4 ratio still probably holds, but there are many neat calculators on the web that will run the numbers for you, such as this one:

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

or just do an internet search on the phrase "Cost of reloading" or "reloading cost" or phrases like that. There is even one that has a downloadable EXCEL spreadsheet you can use offline.

Strictly speaking, Consumables are: Primers, powder and the bullet (lead, copper plated or jacketed). The brass cartridges are sort of consumable. They can be re-used any number of times. Straight-walled handgun cases seem to last forever (or until they get lost-common occurrence with semi-autos). 5 to 20 times for bottlenecked rifle cartridges is typical, depending on the stresses to which they get subjected.

The more popular calibers seem to have the slimmest savings. but the more esoteric you go the greater the savings seem to get. Some of the savings may be infinite if you shoot a caliber that is no longer manufactured.

Lost Sheep
Old February 21, 2014, 11:05 PM   #55
futz

Of the calibers I reload at present (.45 Colt, .45 ACP, .357 Magnum and 9mm and a little 38 Special), I save the most on .45 Colt and .357 Magnum, followed by .45 ACP and then 9mm.

As others have said, I definitely do shoot more and I don't have to worry about what it's costing me. I just have fun at the range. I generally take more ammo than I even want to shoot. If I had to buy premade ammo that definitely would not be the case.
Old February 24, 2014, 06:19 PM   #56
1reloader

I load 30-06 and .308 both cartridges normally cost about $1 a round. I load them for about 47 cents a shell so that's a good deal. I get them so cheap because I buy bullets at ghostbrass.weebly.com they are $13 per hundred for cast bullets lubed and with gas checks. Those normally cost $22 per hundred
Old February 24, 2014, 10:08 PM   #57
Crashbox

For me I would say it's the .405 Winchester. Average factory round costs $2.25 each, I can buy cases for about $1 each plus the components add up to about $1.70 for the first firing. After that, the cost amounts to about one-third ($0.75/round) or so.

And worth every penny.