The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 14, 2010, 05:54 PM   #1
TheNatureBoy

Douglas Rifle Barrels

Is the opinion of Douglas rifle barrels still as favorable today as they were in the past? I don't hear/read anything about them anymore. Any of you still use them?
Old August 14, 2010, 06:03 PM   #2
Bud Helms

Let's take this to the Smithy ...

It's been a few years since I was barrel shopping, but when I was building my own, Douglas air-gauged were always at or near the top of my list.

Brownell's still stocks them: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5...PREMIUM_BARREL :
Quote:
* XX Grade; Hand-Selected For Uniformity To Within .0001"

Every barrel is precision, instrument-inspected for absolute straightness and, air gauged for maximum uniformity to yield the greatest accuracy possible. Land and groove tolerance from breech to muzzle can vary only .0001". Only a barrel that meets these demanding criteria wears the XX Premium stamp.
Old August 15, 2010, 03:24 AM   #3
Scorch

Douglas makes a good barrel. It's just that they make about the same quality of barrel they made 40 years ago, and everyone else has gotten so much better.
Old August 15, 2010, 07:55 AM   #4
mapsjanhere

It's a question of price, at $325 a barrel they are competing against the best of Shilen, Lilja and Walter. And, as you said, it's been quiet around them lately, so it's hard to justify the expense without proof they're still among the best in the business.
Barrels in this class are so hard to compare because you can't just go and pop 4 different barrels in a gun to test, you need to do load development for each, and the one that shoots 10 mm groups wins over the one that only does 12 mm at it's best.
Old August 15, 2010, 08:42 AM   #5
kraigwy

I've built a few target rifles in the past. I use Douglas Prem. barrels. I've found them to be accurate. I've tried a few others but don't see an advantage that would warrant the extra cost.

If you do any shooting at all, you are gonna shoot out barrels which need to be replaced. It's cheaper to keep a gun w/Douglas barrels going.

Gene Barnett used Douglas barrels for his M14/M1A barrels, I talked with him quite a bit when he was running the Pistol Armor's van at the Wilson matches. He thought their quality was a good if not better then others.

Of course a lot of it has to do with the shooter, since shooting is 90% mental, so if you think your barrel is a shooter, it will be, if you think it's a dud, it will be.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 15, 2010, 07:50 PM   #6
geetarman

My Remington 700 was retubed with a Douglas stainless steel tube and it has turned into a real shooter. My best to date has been a .43 for 5 shots at 100 yards using 52 gr. Sierra Match Kings and 38 gr. H380.

I am more than just a little happy with it.

Geetarman
Old August 16, 2010, 01:55 AM   #7
HiBC

There may be some Douglas barrels that cost $320 but I was just on their website a few days ago and I think if you will go there you will find their standard XX bbl in hunting contours for substantially less.
I will say if you get the bbl from Brownells and such,you will likely get a bbl that is of the chosen contour,but it will be rough turned.
Myself,I suggest going the finish turned and polished.
I have had very good results with them and would not hesitate to use a Douglas.They shoot better than I do.
Now,I must confess it has been at least 15 years since I have used a Douglas,but its not their fault.
Old August 16, 2010, 07:46 AM   #8
rickdavis81

I have a douglas on a savage I built. It shoots great(for my abilities) and I would not hesitate to use another one. I looked over them all when choosing and it is hard to pick, so many choices, they can all turn out hummers or lemons.