The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 20, 2008, 03:29 PM   #1
DaveInPA

Need holster recommendations

Hi everyone. I just picked up my new Taurus 24/7 PRO yesterday in .45 ACP. I need advice regarding a holster for concealed carry. I normally wear jeans, a t shirt, and a jacket. So I would assume a small of the back or shoulder holster would work well.

I know a smaller firearm would be better for concealed carry, but I've always been a fan of larger frame guns, because I have rather massive hands.
Old January 20, 2008, 04:00 PM   #2
birdshot

i use a holster called a beltster. it looks like the gun is stuffed in the belt but is much more secure. in summer i wear loose, untucked shirts.
Old January 20, 2008, 04:17 PM   #3
Hard Ball

Try High Noon Holsters.
Old January 20, 2008, 06:27 PM   #4
CraigJS

Skip the SOB and shoulder holster. Get a good IWB.
Old January 20, 2008, 07:43 PM   #5
DaveInPA

Can you recommend a good IWB for something as large as the 24/7? I would love to go out and try some but there really aren't any good selections in any stores around here, so I'll have to order online based on recommendations from fellow shooters and keep my fingers crossed.
Old January 20, 2008, 08:05 PM   #6
oldbillthundercheif

For IWB you may want to check out the Bianchi M100 (http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...TxtModelID=100).

It does a heck of a job concealing Hi-Powers and 1911s so I bet they make one that would hold your big Taurus just as well. It's a simple design but it holds the gun in nice and close to your torso and it's the most comfortable IWB holster I have ever used. It's also made to last a lifetime, the craftsmanship is outstanding. I like it a lot.
Old January 20, 2008, 08:08 PM   #7
DaveInPA

Thanks bill that looks really nice
Old January 20, 2008, 08:09 PM   #8
benny27

Try out Ace holsters..http://acecase.com/
Old January 20, 2008, 08:46 PM   #9
Perldog007

Tough game, holsters are very individual. Those of us in the game for while always have "the box". Said box is usually a pretty good sized container of holsters which just did not work out.

Trying different styles in cheap models doesn't always help either. Sometimes a better holster really does make all the difference.

For under coat carry I have had great luck with Glaco Fed paddleback holsters and fobus holsters.

Since I am also fond of service sized pistols the fanny pack is my friend. Carried over the shoulder like a man purse it draws little or no attention.
Old January 21, 2008, 03:45 PM   #10
Covert Mission

Forget small of back...weapon can be snatched easily, prints more readily when you bend forward, and if you get knocked on your keister/back, that pistol there could do some serious lumbar damage.

IWB is best, imo. But, sometimes less comfortable than OWB hi-ride. BladeTech and some others (recommendations?) make excellent IWBs in kydex, and there are leather ones too (kydex is thinner generally, and a better sweat barrier).

http://www.blade-tech.com/home.php
Old January 21, 2008, 07:57 PM   #11
tsix

I agree with Covert, forget small of back.
I have two versions from Comp-Tac (Gladiator and MTAC) and I love them. By the way, their customer service is the best.

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=28
Old January 22, 2008, 01:43 PM   #12
chris in va

I can't stand IWB. Very uncomfortable. I prefer a good OWB that has a flat inner face so no pressure points will dig into my side. The Galco Fletch is an example, but has a thumbsnap.

I'm also a big fan of the Blackhawk SERPA kydex...extremely fast draw and secure, but sticks out more.
Old January 24, 2008, 05:55 PM   #13
TacticalDefense1911

Check out Brommeland Gunleather...very nice holsters. I've got one for my 1911. http://www.brommelandgunleather.com/

Last edited by TacticalDefense1911; January 25, 2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old January 24, 2008, 06:14 PM   #14
TXHunter

I would take the recommendation for Brommeland Leather only after much consideration and GOOGLE SEARCHING.

'nuff said.
M
Old January 24, 2008, 06:51 PM   #15
mo_hunter

IWB - Check out a comp tac M-TAC
Old January 24, 2008, 09:53 PM   #16
Tanzer

Obviously, it's a personal thing. If you haven't decided on a mode of carry yet, don't spend big bucks on a holster. Personally, I'd hate SOB, but that's me. I'd go IWB or OWB. Pick up cheap Uncle Mike's or something & try it out for a while. When you decide where you want to carry, you can think of what holster does you best.
I have two Galco's. An IWB and an OWB. Different needs for different days. That's why Batman had such a cool belt, he needed a do-it-all. You don't.
Old January 24, 2008, 10:19 PM   #17
orionengnr

Quote:
Tough game, holsters are very individual. Those of us in the game for while always have "the box". Said box is usually a pretty good sized container of holsters which just did not work out.
Just as an aside, I have emptied my "box" by selling my unused/unuseable holsters on forums such as this one.

What you have may work for someone else, and there are always people willing to try something new, especially if they can buy at a cut rate.
Old January 24, 2008, 10:35 PM   #18
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

I have a Taurus Millennium in .45 that is my regular carry gun. I carry in a Comp-Tac Pro Undercover, similar to the one mo-hunter recommended. I usually carry crossdraw and it works out fine. Holds the pistol against my body firmly but without being uncomfortable.

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/prod...products_id=44
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=68450

Another option for when I'm wearing a shirt tucked in is my High Noon Hidden Ally. My PT145 just disappears under either a flannel or a dress shirt if you just blouse it out at the waist a little bit.

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...dden_ally.html

I also have a deSantis "Tuck this" that I like to wear in the summertime. It, too, is a tuckable holster for occasions when you can't pull a t-shirt over your belt. I use the Comp Tac year-round and switch between the High Noon and the DeSantis depending on seasonal temperatures ( I don't like leather when it's hot)

http://www.desantisholster.com/n91.html
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old January 24, 2008, 10:37 PM   #19
TripIII

+1 on Comp-Tac. Excellent product and service. Always been a 1 week delivery. I have a C-tac for everything from K-9 to Full size 1911. I must admit IWB is not the most comfortable, but I am most comfortable knowing that my side arm is concealed.
Old January 25, 2008, 12:21 PM   #20
TacticalDefense1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHunter
I would take the recommendation for Brommeland Leather only after much consideration and GOOGLE SEARCHING.
Links fixed.

Last edited by Capt. Charlie; January 25, 2008 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Low road comment deleted.
Old January 25, 2008, 10:24 PM   #21
AdamSean

Try looking for a high ride belt slide holster. I like these for all size guns. Much more comfortable than an IWB.