The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2012, 07:23 PM   #1
Pottermountainman

Nosler ballistic silvertip bullets

Iv heard a lot of differing opinions on just how hard these ballistic silvertip bullets are on a rifles bore. Any thoughts or experiences guys?
Old March 6, 2012, 08:44 PM   #2
sserdlihc

Never used the NBST. I primarily use ballistic tips in my 7mag and my 30-06. What have you heard?
Old March 6, 2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Pottermountainman

Same here. I'm a big fan of the ballistic tip hunters, I was told that the coating and makeup of the ballistic silvertips really score and foul a bore. I've never used them so I'm not sure. I'm a notorious load builder when I'm off work. I'm always trying something different just to see what happens. But I'm half scared to send them silvertips down my bore. Thought I would ask here first before I buy any.
Old March 6, 2012, 09:34 PM   #4
howlnmad

I can't be of any help either. Nosler is the only bullet I use for 7 mag, 264 mag, 30-06 and 270 but I only use the poly tip. Never had a reason to change.
Old March 6, 2012, 09:41 PM   #5
arch308

I've never used the Silvertip but I can't imagine Nosler bullets "ruining" a barrel. Seems preposterous to me as the tip never touches the bore.
Old March 6, 2012, 09:49 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

I've used quite a few in .270 Winchester Supreme ammo. The Lubalox coating is supposed to actually be easier on the bore than conventional jacketed bullets. From what I've experienced, I have no reason to dispute that.

Where did you hear they were hard on a rifle bore?
Old March 6, 2012, 10:07 PM   #7
Pottermountainman

Thanks for the input guys! I can assure you the things I heard were not in document form. Ill just say you know how it is at the local gun shop when opinions start flyin. That's why I listen and then bring my questions here. As mal h said I would tend to think the lubalox would promote barrel life. And not to mention they are a cool looking bullet. How do they perform on game such as white tail? And once more I can't say enough how much I apreciate you guys taking the time to share your thoughts with me.
Old March 6, 2012, 10:15 PM   #8
mrawesome22

It is just a NBT with lubalox and the tip color is grey.

Same innards.
Old March 6, 2012, 10:19 PM   #9
Mal H
Staff

I'll bet the guys saying that at the local gun shop are thinking they are coated with moly - they aren't, even though they do look like it. Not that moly coating is bad, it does tend to be harder to cleanup after than non-coated bullets.
Old March 8, 2012, 07:49 PM   #10
g20gunny

Ive shot half the bore life of my 7 mag with them and it is still sub moa. All I can say is stick with them or dont use them at all. Mixing with plain jacketed bullets makes cleaning the bore hell! But shooting just nbt will keep things simple... just clean regularly and youll be fine.
On the performance end they are my second choice for good ballistic coificient relative to price. They are a little thin for elk or moose but I'm sure there are people who would dissagree with me. They dump energy well with some shed weight. I dont know if it is true but I heard that nosler puts thicker jackets on the 180gr .308 dia and up bullets but better research that before taking on big game.
Old March 8, 2012, 08:37 PM   #11
Hunter20

They work great for me, never had any issues with them from a fouling standpoint, my only critique is they are too damaging on deer at velocities over 2800 fps at impact, jacket separation , large exit wounds etc. (.30 caliber 150 gr).
Why I use them is the excellent accuracy in both rifles. (300 WSM and 06').
Old March 10, 2012, 09:25 AM   #12
Uncle Buck

Quote:
Ill just say you know how it is at the local gun shop when opinions start flyin

And you know what opinions are like....

I had used them for my .243 and can not say that I have ever had a problem with them. They expand like advertised and, although expensive for use as a paper puncher, seemed to stop the deer and coyotes.

I do not think I had any more or less trouble cleaning my rifle afterwards. If I happen across a good deal on them again, I will use them.

Also consider, if they were really that bad, why is the gun store still selling them and why haven't we heard more chatter about how bad they are?
Old March 10, 2012, 10:56 AM   #13
10 Spot Terminator

Having fired a couple hundred of the silver tips as well as other copper jackets in one particular .243 I can definitely say I was able to fire well over twice as many rounds in a given shot string with the silver tips without groups starting to open up and took less time and effort to clean the bore. I guess that means they work as advertised for me. Great YOTIE bullet .

10 Spot
Old March 10, 2012, 11:00 PM   #14
joneb

Quote:
As far as I know Nosler makes polymer tipped bullets with different colored tips including gray, but Silvertip is a trademark of Winchester.
Old March 10, 2012, 11:01 PM   #15
awbrock

Quote:
How do they perform on game such as white tail?
Devastating.. I bought some from wally-world for half price a few years back the Winchester factory loads for 30-06 (black box). They were a little cheaper than the Rem Cor-loks, bought all they had.

I have taken several deer with them from 30 yrds to 280 yrds all dropped where they stood. They aren't magical, shot placement is always the deciding factor.

Had no trouble cleaning my bore. They do look kool especially in a nickel case.

Bought some of 40gr Combined Technology for my 22-250 they don't make the 40 gr anymore. . They were very accurate as well.
Old March 11, 2012, 12:01 AM   #16
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibjab
As far as I know Nosler makes polymer tipped bullets with different colored tips including gray, but Silvertip is a trademark of Winchester.
Not totally true. Several years ago Winchester and Nosler cooperated on the design of the Ballistic Silvertip and came up with the "Combined Technology" group of ammo. "Ballistic Silvertip" is a joint trademark of both Winchester and Nosler equally. All other "Ballistic Tip" bullets and ammo are trademarked by Nosler only.
Old March 11, 2012, 12:45 AM   #17
aushunter

Personally I have found that they dont group as tightly as the Ballistic tip but not by that much, as far as fouling goes I'd rather clean my rifle more than have a round thats not quite on the money!
Old March 11, 2012, 01:59 AM   #18
joneb

Thanks Mal H,
I'm at the Shooter's Pro Shop here in Bend on a regular basis buying up factory seconds I would think I should have known that
Old March 11, 2012, 08:20 AM   #19
Rifleman1776

What the gun shop said indicates to me they have an overstock of something else and are trying to sell you those.
I can't imagine Nosler putting out a product that would harm a bore.
IMHO, Nosler is the standard by which others are judged. I am a fan of Ballistic Tips and Partitions. Can't go wrong with either.
Old March 11, 2012, 09:14 PM   #20
firinglineman

I put a box of the 140 grainers through my NEF in .280 Remington. They grouped nice and tight. I'll be getting some more. Havn't taken a deer with them yet, as I'm still using up my 150gr Ballistic Tip reloads. They did seem to help with the copper fouling.
Old March 11, 2012, 11:08 PM   #21
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
just how hard these ballistic silvertip bullets are on a rifles bore.
Probably not any harder on a barrels bore than any other jacketed bullet found in the market place.
Old March 12, 2012, 10:28 AM   #22
Clark

Quote:
awesome22

It is just a NBT with lubalox and the tip color is grey.

Same innards.
I like to buy Nosler Ballistic Tips and moly coat them.

The long range performance on deer is remarkable.
In 2010 I tried Berger VLD hunting, but in 2011 I was back with NBT.

I am primarily a lung shooter. I want a big hole and I want it out there at 500 yards.

The NBT turn the lungs into liquid. The animal falls down or staggers 50 feet.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?