The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 23, 2013, 11:32 PM   #1451
Hundy

Hello TFL, back into Firearms

Hello, Just wanted to introduce myself. Approx 20 years ago I owned 7 firearms and reloaded. Living in a small apartment with my wife and young kids I decided to sell my reloading equipment and my firearms. I sold them all but 1. I keep my Ruger P90 45ACP.
At the time I sold them, I felt I was doing the right thing. We both worked, our kids were getting old enough to expore and open things. I could not afford to get a safe. I did not have time to really go shot or hunt.
Last year, I decided to get back into firearms. My children are all adults now, we live in a nice house, make better money and have more time. First one I bought was a 12gauge shotgun. Second one I bought was a S&W 686 357mag 6".
I got a RCBS Rock Chucker reloading kit.
Figures once I get back into firearms, everything seems to have gone wrong, and I cannot buy ammo or reloading supplies anymore.
I still plan on buying some more firearms, and to start reloading.
I plan on getting a Colt 45 Single action, Henery Big Boy 44mag and a 45-70.
I hope to use this site to learn and gain knowledge from those who know, and maybe share anything I know to those who ask.

Thank you

Jay S.
Rancho Cucamonga CA.
Old February 24, 2013, 01:26 PM   #1452
shawn32671

introduction

My name is Shawn, I'm 42 years old and am from north central Iowa. I'm interested in building an AK-47 from a parts kit and learning what I can and interested in firearms in general...I currently have a couple black powder single action revolvers, a WW2 M1 Garand, a Ugo SKS, and a little Leinad .45lc/.410 derringer I built from a kit purchased through Excalibur of Ducktown Tn. and plan on building the over under version in .22lr/.45lc/.410 and the add on kit to my original derringer to change it over to a .410 shotgun with folding stock also from Excalibur....I'm interested in World War 2 history and hope to assemble a collection of artifacts in the future including a full uniform and accessories/arms for a German infantry and American infantry soldiers.
Old February 27, 2013, 09:25 PM   #1453
9rudy9

Hello

Hello, my name is Roy Thompson. I am from the Sandpoint Idaho area. I purchased an RCBS kit 15 years ago but with 3 kids couldn't find enough focus time to get going. My Speer manual warned to have no distractions so I took that to heart and have been using factory ammo. The nest is empty now so here I go. I have been coming to this site as a visitor for some time to find information so thanks for that. I mostly shoot Marlin lever .22, Ruger p345 45, and a Ruger m77 30-06. If I can get the 06 worked up correctly I plan on moving to loads for my pre 64 W 30-30, then to the .45, then my W 32-20's.
Right off the bat I have a question. As I was inspecting some factory Winchester brass, fired once. I noticed some slight? Damage around the case mouths. I am wondering if my rifle, or my sons newer MKII M77 Ruger 06 has a problem.
Where would I post this type of question?
Thanks in advance and I appreciate all the information that can be found here.
Thanks for having me, Roy.
Old March 1, 2013, 11:01 AM   #1454
wooly booger

Hello
My name is Eric. I have been hunting, fishing, and shooting since I was 6 years old. I grew up in KY. Have lived, hunted, and worked all over the world. I presently live in Montana and work as a Construction Consultant as well as hunting, rafting, and fly fishing guide on the Smith, Missouri, and Blackfoot Rivers.

My main firearms are Glock 20, Ruger single actions in a few flavors, Savage abd Ruger rifles.
Old March 1, 2013, 05:47 PM   #1455
hnusz

hello my name is harold new here somewhat new to handguns got 2 a S&W model 410 40. cal dont laugh a hi point .45acp several shotguns and rifles and a few older military rifles
Old March 1, 2013, 05:52 PM   #1456
Gray2Hairs

Howdy from Gray2Hairs

I'm a city boy who aged into a mountain man. We live off-grid about 2 miles past the end of the road and love it. I was a liberal (OK, I was stupid) and learned about guns after my wife inherited her father's guns.

Now I am a gun nut and flat love to shoot, re-load and generally have fun. Here in Washington State we can open carry and I do often. Concealed is always in process as well.

So far visits here have been valuable and I continue to learn. Thanks for a great information filled forum.
Old March 1, 2013, 06:29 PM   #1457
ModernGunner

Greetings from a Hoosier

No one appears to know the actual history as to how "Hoosier" came to refer to folks from Indiana. And, I've certainly been able to add an incredible amount of nothingness to that explanation.

I was fortunate enough to have a Father (and his buddies) that started me shooting at 6 years old. Been shooting ever since, and have carried a sidearm either professionally or as a civilian since reaching adulthood.

I'm here to learn what I can, and add where I can, and hopefully find some new friends in like-minded thinkers. We already have enough whackos out there that truly believe an inanimate object capable of launching a projectile must, somehow, be inherently 'evil', and I've chosen not to add myself to that group most commonly known as 'stupid people'. If I wanted to do that, I'd probably need to live in D.C., LOL.

See ya on the forums!

J.B.
Old March 1, 2013, 06:50 PM   #1458
Mac 1

Hello Folks, I live in Southwest Louisiana and enjoy making bullet holes in paper as accurately as I can. I started out with rifles and now I am into the pistols big time. I enjoy reading about different topics, be it weapons, ammo, other people's experiences, questions, answers, opinions, etc. Thanks to the people who maintain the forum.
Old March 1, 2013, 07:12 PM   #1459
Live45

Hello, my names Ed. I'm 63 and now live in sunny Central Florida. Originally from just outside of Pittsburgh where I worked in a machine shop and had a very small gun shop that I ran from my home. Dropped the FFL when we moved to FL back in 87. Haven't done much reloading since we moved here but decided to get back into it since ammo is now so hard to find. Latest purchase was a Springfield Armory XD in .45 and that's the components that I'm currently looking for. I've got enough primers/powder for now but I'm short on brass and bullets. Yes, I'm an NRA member and NO I DON'T SUPPORT ANY OF OBAMAS POLICYS.
Old March 2, 2013, 09:34 PM   #1460
basilisk4

Hey, my name is Marty. I was born and raised north of Atlanta although my parents are both from Chicago. My dad taught me how to shoot and then gave me a few of his guns -- Colt Government Pocketlite .380, Ruger Super Redhawk .44 (magnaported), and Marlin Camp 9MM. In the last few years I've acquired a few of my own: Remington 870 Wingmaster shotgun; Colt Sporter II AR-15 A2; S&W 5903TSW 9MM; Tisas Classic 1911-A1 .45ACP; Beretta PX4 Storm Type F .45; KelTec PF9 9MM; and a S&W Model Model 36 Chief's Special .38.

I've been reading the forums on and off for a few years but have never really posted before now. Looking forward to learning from some of the knowledgeable folks around here!
Old March 3, 2013, 08:57 PM   #1461
Texascoonhunter

Just Saying Howdy to All

As you can tell by my User name, I live in Texas. Yes "TEXAS" is a great state. We believe in the 2nd Amend stronger than most states and our Representatives know that ! Anyway, I have hunter and fish all of my life. When a young boy at home, my dad and I would hunt squirrel for the table, not just for fun, even tho it was. I enjoy hunting deer,wild hogs, coyotes and yes squirrels. I have been reloading for several years now and enjoy it. I spent several years working in the manfucturing of munitions for the gov't. Want elebrate on that. I enjoy reading the posts and maybe I can offer some usable advice from time to time. Hats off to all. God Bless

When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:23 PM   #1462
kdemers58

bullseye shooter hi

Hi i am a newbe to this sight i am 54 years old man from mi u p I have been reloading for 30 plus years i reload for every gun i own hand gun,rifle,&shotgun and love it nice to be here!! Love Bullseye shooting & 5 stand
Old March 6, 2013, 07:09 PM   #1463
tburden

I'm a retired naval officer, but haven't had any recent experience with handguns. Used to shoot .22s competitively a long time ago. Otherwise my only experience has been with weapons that are tough to conceal

Just lost a friend to an armed mugger and after a lot of thought have decided to exercise my 2nd Amendment right and go with concealed carry in Virginia.

I've pretty well decided on S&W 9mm Shield but finding ANY handguns for sale is next to impossible. None of the local dealers have any stock.

Any thoughts are welcomed.
Old March 6, 2013, 09:19 PM   #1464
crossfireltd

Re: New members - please introduce yourselves here

Greetings all I'm new to this forum and would like to introduce myself. Originally from Smith Point, LI but have lived in the free Commonwealth of Virginia for the last 7 years. I am a disabled/retired survivor of the attacks on the World Trade Center on 9/11. I have always had a love of firearms and since moving to Richmond I can now freely exercise my 2A rights. I have since amassed a small arsenal/collection of various rifles and hand guns.

Last edited by crossfireltd; March 7, 2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old March 7, 2013, 06:40 PM   #1465
REDBULL600

Hello yall. New to the forum and new to firearms.

I have a Beretta Nano as my current and primary firearm. This was/is my first handgun. I bought it with the intent to CC, which will be become reality on Saturday ( get my picture taken for the ID card), having never touched a handgun before the day I bought this gun.

I completed a Basic Combat pistol course this weekend and hope/plan on doing more. It was a blast to being something other then shooting paper static targets.

Last edited by REDBULL600; March 8, 2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old March 7, 2013, 11:10 PM   #1466
justplainpossum

Hello! My name is Aimee. I live on a ranch in Texas.

I bought my first gun about twenty-five years ago. I had run away from a potentially dangerous boyfriend. I was living in Wyoming, and I asked the sheriff if I needed help, could he get there in time to save me. He thought about it for a few seconds, and replied, "well, we could get there in time to notify your parents." I took my first gun lesson from him the next day.

I own a Ruger .357 magnum for home defense, a little .32 for backup, and just last week I bought my first semi-auto, a Springfield XDM .45, for feral hog defense.

I'm enjoying coming here and am learning a lot.
Old March 8, 2013, 10:16 AM   #1467
biggreenegg

New from austin

been lurking here a while and wanted to introduce myself.

lived in austin for 10+ years and love it here. hunt a little, target shoot more, and bbq a lot. life is good.

thanks to everyone on this forum for contributing to a great source of info. can't wait to start contributing.
Old March 8, 2013, 11:14 AM   #1468
Cesure

Hello TFL

I've been shooting handguns since just after the LA riots, but now I live in the sticks in Michigan. No more range fees. Yay!
Old March 8, 2013, 11:24 AM   #1469
bc454308

I live in Northern Eastern Idaho on a ranch. I enjoying hunting, fishing, and camping in the high country. Guns have always been apart of my family. I have several pistols in auto mag to revolvers and several rifles.
Old March 8, 2013, 05:52 PM   #1470
Lucas McCain

Kicking and Screamining into the 21st century

Hello, i'm new here, I've been lurking i the shadows for a couple years and reading various threads and I decided to register. I am have found this forum very interesting and hope it continues that way. So long, see you around.
Old March 10, 2013, 10:31 PM   #1471
zTimbo

New members - please introduce yourselves here

Hi all,
Been viewing as a guest for a little while now. You all have a nice forum here. I'm not new to shooting but am new to keeping up to date with everything. As of late I've been doing more shooting than what I should be doing with the shortage and all the panic buying still going on. Anyways, hi all and I hope to be able to contribute in some way.
-Timbo
Old March 11, 2013, 10:58 AM   #1472
spars12

new here

heard abought this place at the springfield gun show.... been casting and reloading for a long time .....
Old March 11, 2013, 01:56 PM   #1473
southallatoona

Howdy! New member, and life long resident, of the great state of Georgia. More of a reader than a poster, but I'm trying to get better! Looking forward to talking with you.
Old March 11, 2013, 05:02 PM   #1474
KCampbell

New from Tn

Checking in from East Tennessee,looking to mooch as much info and knowledge as possible and find folks to shoot & train with and contribute where I can.Glad to be here.
Old March 11, 2013, 05:02 PM   #1475
camoman621

Hey all. Just joined today. 52M, hunter, shooter, NRA lifer.

Tags
ar15 , cerakote , custom ar , introduction , laser engraving , new agent