The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 23, 2009, 08:47 PM   #1
Christchild

Is This Safe?

I own a Remington 870 Express SuperMag. It'll eat any 12 gauge shell, 2 3/4", 3" and 3 1/2". It's my "Turkey" gun, covered in Advantage Camo, and sports a Turkey Super Full Choke.

I'll hunt Turkey, Duck, Squirrel and Rabbit with it, and as always, just use the appropriate ammunition, always using the Super Full Choke. Works great.

I'm thinking about hunting Hog and Deer with it, but using Federal 3" Magnum Copper Plated 000 Buckshot, that I already have. I understand that I'm NOT supposed to use Slugs with that Choke, but is it Safe/Useable with the Copper Plated 000 Buck?

Thanks, in Advance, for any input.

Last edited by Christchild; October 25, 2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old October 23, 2009, 11:09 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Safe? It should be if they are lead pellets... But larger pellets do not take tight constriction as well as bird shot sizes so patterning them is a MUST DO task...
Brent
Old October 24, 2009, 12:25 AM   #3
Christchild

They are "pellets", but they're 000 Buck and Copper Plated. I've just never put any of that through a Choke that tight, and was hoping to get some info from Yawl Pro's......

I don't want to take the Choke out, and fire Copper Plated Buckshot over the Threads inside the bore, with the Choke taken out.

But since it's a heavy load of large Buckshot (and again, Copper Plated Buck), I wasn't really sure if that was "acceptable" or recommended........

Thank You, HogDogs. I'll be sure to give it a try, and Pattern it, before hand.
Old October 24, 2009, 12:35 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

My walmart sells Remington brand chokes for very affordable prices...
You may find something looser will be better.
Brent
Old October 24, 2009, 01:03 AM   #5
jimbob86

Buck shot is illegal for deer here, and many consider it unethical, producing many lost animals- placement is everything, and you can't place buckshot.
Old October 24, 2009, 02:40 AM   #6
bswiv

I use a FULL on mine with 000 buck and have very good results. It is good to 40-45 yards for certian as far as the pattern goes. The larger 000 buck also retains energy and penetration well so your limiting factor will be how YOUR gun tosses it.

As stated you need to shoot a few through it.............but I'll bet a little less choke will work better, maybe a standard FULL.
Old October 24, 2009, 04:58 AM   #7
wpcexpert

From my experiments with the turkey choke and buckshot, you'll need to go to a less restrictive choke. I never used copper plated, but it seemed to deform the straight lead pellets. It would create horendous(sp?) pattern. I went with the full choke on my Remington, and got the best pattern with a modified choke with one of my Winchesters.

I don't know if there is a clogging hazzard with the copper plated 000 buck and a turkey choke.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old October 24, 2009, 05:07 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Every shotgun is a law unto itself, but the results I've had with tight chokes and a variety of buck lead me to believe that shotguns that do well with pellets that big in a choke that tight are rare.

Once again, the patterning board is your friend. Start off with an open choke, find the tightest patterning load,then go to the next tightest choke tube. When patterns stop shrinking, try a couple other contenders because sometimes things do not progress in a linear fashion.

Copper plating on pellets helps only if the pellets underneath are hard and round. Plating inferior pellets brings inferior results.

HTH....
Old October 24, 2009, 06:07 AM   #9
dahermit

Quote:
Buck shot is illegal for deer here, and many consider it unethical, producing many lost animals- placement is everything, and you can't place buckshot.
All buckshot is not created equal. I have had great success with the 12 or so deer I have killed with the 41 pellets of number 4 buckshot contained in 12 gauge 3" loads. I have never lost a deer that I shot at with it. Double ought and triple ought just do not have enough pellets to do the job.
Old October 24, 2009, 06:12 AM   #10
dahermit

Quote:
Copper plating on pellets helps only if the pellets underneath are hard and round. Plating inferior pellets brings inferior results.
Buckshot are swaged from pure (soft) lead, not made from the same alloy (antimony, lead, arsenic), of lead as hard, "chilled" shot. Buckshot will always be soft, no matter if it is coated with copper or not.
Old October 24, 2009, 04:57 PM   #11
sourdough44

I would not shoot 000 buckshot through a tight 'turkey choke'. A few rounds may not matter, after a while it may. I also think your pattern would be better in the IM to Mod range of choke. I doubt many choke makers would suggest 000 buck in that choke.
Old October 24, 2009, 06:32 PM   #12
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Dahermit, Lawrence buck contains 3% antimony, IIRC. While most buck is pure lead, some few makers do alloy the pellets for better performance.

Hevishot's makers did some 00 a while back. BP carried it and may still have some. THAT would make some tight patterns. I'd probably wimp out and use an IC choke there, though.
Old October 25, 2009, 09:57 PM   #13
Christchild

Thank You All for Your Input!

Once things get turned around and I get back to work, I think I'm going to put forth the extra cash and get a PatterMaster LongRange. They're $90, but reading everything I've seen so far, along with the fact I've already got a SuperFull, I think it'll be worth the few extra bucks.

Thank You All, Again.
Old November 18, 2009, 09:19 PM   #14
Christchild

Bump. Update.

After some research, and after I managed to sell an item I've been having, I've decided on a Briley X2 Improved Modified Choke for my 870...$35 plus shipping, $39 total from MidwayUSA. Not Bad.

I did alot of reading (which I guess I should've done before) on Chokes and Shot Size, and the IM choke seems to be a good "middle ground" for my kind of ShotGun Hunting. I hunt squirrels and rabbits when I can, and deer and hogs have been on my mind to be hunted with a SG, as well.

Thank You, Bro's/Pro's for Your shared knowledge!!!
Old November 19, 2009, 04:54 AM   #15
CajunBass

That's pretty much been my experience over the years. I've used 000 in a full choked Remington 1100 with good results, but they were plain lead. The copper plated shot seems to like a more open choke.

My go to buckshot gun/load is a 12 ga with modified choke shooting 3", Number 1 buck. I've never used it on hogs, I would probably go with 000 for them, but Number 1 will put a deer down.

Quote:
Then don't use it where you are.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; November 19, 2009 at 05:07 AM.
Old November 19, 2009, 08:30 AM   #16
roy reali

Quick Question

Quote:
I'll hunt Turkey, Duck, Squirrel and Rabbit with it,
Will you be hunting these at the same time or separatly?
Old November 19, 2009, 10:41 AM   #17
zippy13

Go for it... the Briley is a good choice.
Old November 19, 2009, 10:57 AM   #18
SeekHer

Great Choice

Briley are excellent--choke tubes, barrel inserts, bore reducers...

IM is a great choke and most of my guns love it...It is good for buck, bird or slug and mine have always grouped best with LM or IM chokes for slugs except for two guns that like F better and one that cares for M best of all...

Many states and provinces will only allow slugs for game shooting or in other words buckshot is not allowed...So your original choice of using buck through the Super Turkey might not have been legal!

You'll find that buck through a full choke will give you donut patterns so test your spread on paper with different loads/makers etc...

When the human race dies out, it will be because it was brainwashed to be so totally, completely, utterly safe that it no longer dared to keep on living
Old November 19, 2009, 11:17 AM   #19
Christchild

Quote:
Will you be hunting these at the same time or separatly?
Seperately, of course. Use the same 870, just tailor the loads, You know?

Squirrel season, Low Brass Target Loads, #7 1/2 shot. They're cheap and very effective. Either Federal "Field & Target" #7 1/2 shot, 1200 FPS, 100 shells for $23 (used to be $15), or Winchester "Sporting Clays Super Sport" #7 1/2 shot, 1300 FPS, $7.50 per 25. I've popped quite a few Squirrel with 'em.

Rabbit, same thing, low brass but #6 shot. As long as the right Shot Size and Velocity is there, and at LEAST 1 oz. of shot (I prefer 1 1/8 oz. to 1 1/4 oz. of shot), it's all the same.

Ducks, #5 or #6 shot, and fast. Same thing for Turkey.

Come Deer season, if I'm in an area where it's SG only, I've got several boxes of the Federal 3" 000 Copper Plated Buck. Same with Hogs, I wouldn't use anything but the heaviest loads of 000 available. I'd prefer to do it this way (000 Buck) because those heavy pellets penetrate, and when I can't use my .270 Win., a "beast" of a ShotShell load is the most ethical, in my mind.

Last edited by Christchild; November 19, 2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old November 19, 2009, 11:44 AM   #20
sean gaines

Hello gentlemen, this is my first post and I want to say thanks for the kind words in regards to Briley. They do sell fantastic chokes as well as other parts. If any of you guys need some chokes PM me for a 10% discount
Thanks
Sean
Old November 19, 2009, 12:59 PM   #21
Christchild

My digital camera was stolen in the first burglary (August 2008), but IF I can get a little more use of a friends camera, I'll pattern the Federal Copper Plated 000 Buck (hopefully this weekend, once IM Choke arrives), and post pics here, with all data.

Thanks again!!!
Old November 19, 2009, 01:13 PM   #22
SJoseph

have you looked at what it would have cost to get a replacement barrel instead?

It seems like that might do what you want to do, and I can't imagine it's much different than changing a choke (of course, I've never changed a choke, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about).
Old November 19, 2009, 01:27 PM   #23
Christchild

Quote:
have you looked at what it would have cost to get a replacement barrel instead?
Yes, Sir! I've seen NEW Replacement Barrels for an 870 run from $150 to over $300, Remington brand.

Chokes (new) will cost You anywhere from $15 to over $100, and the most any Hunter will ever need will cost anywhere from $15 to $50. Plus Chokes are small and can be carried 6 at a time (or more) in a small case, where barrels aren't quite so portable and "Pack-Worthy" since they're alot bigger/longer/heavier.

Chokes are definitely the way to go, in most cases. The awesome versatility of a ShotGun!

I believe that most chokes on most brands of ShotGuns are pretty much the same. They Thread In at the muzzle, and CAN be tightened with a wrench. There's even a Choke Tube Wrench just for it.