The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 28, 2012, 08:21 PM   #1
LANDMARK

L.A. SWAT Sig 226 ???help

Hey Folks,

Stopped by my local shop today looking for a sig p226. i came across a sig outfitted with the most intresting attachment i'd ever seen. It has a tactical mount installed ahead of the triggerguard with an integrated checkered muzzle guard.The Muzzleguard is what really gets me. i need to know more about it. This looks like a total go to war gun. I understand it prevents the muzzle from depressing backward and haulting firing of the gun, but thats for up close and personal(maybe door breaching?)Also i dont know if it has a picitinny rail underneath the new rail, which is screwd on BTW profesionally machined looks like.
It was tagged as a LA SWAT gun.... idk about that.
I had never seen one before and felt compelled to own it. So.. i put down 100$ on the gun for them not to sell it , said ill do a little research and come back to pay it off in a week. please LMK if i should get my $$ back or if i stubled onto a jewl.
any imput if anyone has any is appreciated.. I dont know how this will affect the gun at all besides not being able to take off the slide very often / or holster the weapon in certain holsters. ill attach a pic

Old August 28, 2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Mystro

Are you getting a good deal on this gun? It seams like a new P226R would be a lot less of a hassle on take down and give you a integrated factory rail system.
Old August 28, 2012, 08:34 PM   #3
sigarms228

That appears to be a mid 90s German SIG that someone refinished and added that dohicky onto it. I seriously doubt that is a factory SIG P226.

I would be wary about it myself. See if it comes with the original case and what the model number is as you could research the model number.

I searched for P226 LA SWAT and nothing was found other than your post.

Good luck!
Old August 28, 2012, 08:35 PM   #4
LANDMARK

not a bad price. 899. as its to be expected for a sig.
Old August 28, 2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Creeper

Looks to be professionally made and of two separate pieces... as in the front unbolts from the bottom, which bolts to the frame. Correct? If that's true, then you can retain the rail element and leave the front part off.

I'd love to see the front of it more closely. You say it's checkered? I wonder, aside from a device to prevent pushing the slide out of battery, if it is intended to be some sort of bracing surface... as in to be pushed or braced against a wall or post?

It's definitely different... and like sigarms228, I can find nothing on it. I have seen something similar on a combat match 1911... but far less as nicely designed or finished.

C
Old August 28, 2012, 08:51 PM   #6
LANDMARK

Surprisingly the shop knows little about this gun. or at least the gentleman i delt with did not. I took the liberty to look up the Serial # and do some digging, found the gun is from an auction in NH was a collectors.

Last edited by LANDMARK; August 28, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old August 28, 2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Creeper

It appears to be exceptionally well thought out and made, so it's either a one-off idea from a talented craftsman, or a limited production that no one can find on the interweb with the typical search terms we've been using.

Personally, I love the thing just on style points alone.

If you have the coin, buy it... just because you may never ever see another like it. If you can find out who made it and why... then do what ever you want, I guess.

C
Old August 28, 2012, 09:13 PM   #8
LANDMARK

I think its very cool myself. I wasnt sure if anyone has had any past experiance with any type of muzzleguard. Kind of on the fence here. I hope it doesnt ruin the integrity of the gun. I plan on Shooting this gun alot. Dont really want a Safe queen if thats all its good for.
Old August 28, 2012, 09:24 PM   #9
LANDMARK

This is strange , Very...it attaches in 3 tiers of screws, a total of 6. All of which, seem to be in sequence with and underlying picatinny rail system. But, i could be wrong. Might be completly Bare below.not exactly a sig expert.
Old August 28, 2012, 09:48 PM   #10
Creeper

Quote:
it attaches in 3 tiers of screws, a total of 6
That's what I see... it's industrial strength.

C
Old September 1, 2012, 11:04 PM   #11
BrokenBottles

So This is bugging me. I was hoping I'd get lucky and be able to find something similar enough but all I've manged to come away with is that there's no rail under that rail...(For some reason that was very odd to type.)
I'm thinking it may have been added for weight. It doesn't look like the rail was used, to my eyes on my laptop.

This is annoying me. As someone who has seen L.A. County S.W.A.T way too up close and personal, I'd love to own one of the guns they had made for them but I'm slowly leaning towards this not being one of those
Old September 2, 2012, 12:22 AM   #12
Kazaam

Just looks like something that adds a rail to a non-railed P226 to me.
Old September 2, 2012, 07:16 AM   #13
bds32

I agree with kazaam. Someone wanted a light attachment so this was Fabricated. It could also serve the purpose of allowing contact shots without pushing out of battery. Interesting piece.

As far as the lapd swat deal, never heard of them having sigs.
Old September 2, 2012, 10:26 AM   #14
Coach Z

Interesting gun for sure. I'd like to see a few more shots of the muzzle. It looks quite a better then just a shade tree gunsmith. I don't know that it adds to the value of the pistol as far as a collector but its interesting if nothing else.
Old September 2, 2012, 06:09 PM   #15
insomni

Quote:
(maybe door breaching?)
I would never in my life try to breach with a pistol. Maybe SWAT knows something I don't. I'd figure it would allow firing the pistol pressed up against someone without it pushing the slide back out of battery.
Old September 3, 2012, 08:54 AM   #16
ClydeFrog

LAPD SWAT; D Platoon...

To my limited knowledge, the LAPD SWAT unit or D platoon has issued 1911a1 .45acp sidearms for years. The Beretta 92F & M9 were also used by regular LAPD officers but never the SIG P226 or P226R.
SIG Sauers seemed more popular with smaller SoCal police agencies & areas around San Diego.

Clyde
Old September 3, 2012, 10:42 AM   #17
223 shooter

Quote:
I plan on Shooting this gun alot.
As long as you don't plan on CLEANING it a lot. To have to remove the muzzle "guard" or the whole bracket each time for slide removal kind of ruins the ease of take down that I appreciate in SIGs.

Quote:
It seems like a new P226R would be a lot less of a hassle on take down and give you a integrated factory rail system.
Agreed , I have a new SIG with the factory rail , I can live without the muzzle guard myself.
Old September 3, 2012, 12:36 PM   #18
Ridge_Runner_5

Quote:
To my limited knowledge, the LAPD SWAT unit or D platoon has issued 1911a1 .45acp sidearms for years.
Kimber Custom TLE IIs
Old September 3, 2012, 03:19 PM   #19
MonsterB

LAPD issues Kimbers? Wow, that must say something for Kimber. Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised, but I am, and I'm really starting to wonder if Kimber actually makes a decent firearm, regardless of the complaints online.
Old September 3, 2012, 03:41 PM   #20
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterB
I'm really starting to wonder if Kimber actually makes a decent firearm, regardless of the complaints online.
As with any product, the detractors tend to be more vocal than the supporters. Kimber is, arguably, the number one seller of quality 1911 pattern firearms in the US, with perhaps Springfield Armory in the running as well.
No one, not Colt, not Les Baer, not Wilson, not Nighthawk... no one is completely immune to complaints, but as Kimber sells, again arguably, more 1911s than anyone, it stands to reason that you read about their issues more than anyone else too.

If you were a gunner in the 80s and 90s, you'd know that Colt's overall reputation with 1911s was pretty poor... and although they make an excellent gun now, there are plenty of people that still have a bad taste in their mouths... and refuse to look at Colts.

C
Old September 3, 2012, 07:39 PM   #21
proxpilot

all you need is some Digi Camo grips and you are good to go
Old September 4, 2012, 01:24 PM   #22
mach1.3

I have been in the market for a new P226R in 9mm for a while. You can buy a new Sig 226 for <$700 and Sig 226 CPO for less than that if you look online for free shpg, no sales tax(out of state dealers) and no added % for CC use. FFL transfers can be had for $25 routinely in my state. I would be leary of that muzzle add on. Ask your shop owner to take it off---unless you plan on doing alot of door breeching or CQC.
Old September 4, 2012, 02:06 PM   #23
Tactical Jackalope

leave it...looks like bs to me.
Old September 5, 2012, 07:30 AM   #24
RsqVet

Buy the gun not the story, which in this case I am going to call total BS on.

It's an older sig. Refinished recently with the muzzle dohicky added. Sig did not do OD guns when that gun was made, frankly OD as a color for guns did not really hit the market until what? 2006?

All for only what? 900 bucks? My guess is it was a a well used 226 that got what looks like a nice refinish and that piece of crap bolted to it to up the price.

If you have need of a railed gun buy a railed gun not that gun --- look at where the rail ends with that add on thing, you want the rail as close to the trigger guard as possible so you can work the light switch, that gun puts it further away from your finger than a railed gun would.

I do not buy the SWAT story one bit, SWAT shoots a lot of rounds down range, the last thing they need is that stupid thing that they have to mess with every time they need to clean their gun. Not to mention that it will likely fit in few holsters and even fewer duty / retention holsters which is what they will be using in uniform at minimum.

The "tactical standoff" or whatever you want to call that thing on the muzzle of the gun was something that came about somewhere in maybe the late 2000's when more and more guns were coming with rails and the companies had not YET thought to make bayonets to go on the rails yet needed something other than expensive flashlights to sell people who need to attach something to the rails their guns came with. Hence the solution in search of a problem... the tactical standoff. Idea being at muzzle contact range you. maybe, might could maybe possibly push your gun out of battery and not fire. Never mind that a quick adjustment solves this issue. Never mind that no serious user anywhere find need for this... they sold to the same market segment that keeps the pistol bayonet makers grinding out their wares. Many had protuberances as well or whatever to make them "impact weapons" as well, not intended as a breaching standoff. No one breaches with handguns. GG&G made something like this and it would not surprise me if this was one of theirs, fitted to the 226. Must not have sold well as I do not see it in the catalog currently.

Lastly why if it's a SWAT / etc prototype is it not thrashed? Ever see guns that get submitted to test and evaluation? They get... well shot. tested. Dropped. Shot some more. You get the idea

So re-capping, older gun, re-finished with something of dubious value added. Not deal in my book. Frankly I'd get my money back if I were you, and avoid a shop that has to pump such BS to try and sell guns. If you think the tactical standoff idea has merit get a railed gun and clip it on / off the rail then you can go either way as you wish or re-sell the gun to a wider market segment. That 226 is either a 226 with some dumb thing bolted to is, or a 226 with six holes in the dust cover for no good reason..

Tags
la swat , muzzle guard , sig 226