The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 26, 2013, 04:11 PM   #1
red caddy

Stevens mod. 235 12 Ga SXS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm evaluating a Stevens mod 235 (Exposed hammer) 12 Ga. S X S. The barrels appear to be fluid steel, general condition is "good".

When the locking lever is moved to the right, to open, the lever returns to center. The lever must again be mover to the right to close the breech. (cannot be "snapped "shut) I can't feel any detent or stop that would hold the latch open or see any additional lock parts.

Is this proper and correct?

There is heavy wear on the locking wedge The gun is well used and fails the "dollar bill" test for lockup. I was asked to "fix the lever spring" as it can be pushed well over center to the left, lock up is still very loose. I'm not sure it's broken, what say the smart kids?

Thanks, Paul
Old May 27, 2013, 07:37 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

You should not be "snapping it shut" - the damage done to a shotgun from that is akin to snapping a revolver cylinder closed - don't do it.

If it is THAT loose, it is currently NOT safe to shoot and needs to be repaired or retired. Repair costs vary by area, so check with a good gunSMITH - not some Glock parts changer - who knows how to do those repairs
Old May 28, 2013, 10:04 AM   #3
PetahW

The gun is "off face", with a well worn hinge pin and/or bbl hook - what I would term beyond economical repair (IOW, while it "can" be fixed, the repair's worth more than the repaired gun).

IIRC, the 235 hammergun was last made just about the break of the Great Depression (ca.1929), and IDK if Numrich has the lever latch parts, too.