The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 21, 2006, 04:52 PM   #26
ZeroJunk

It's just like a resizing die.If it is setting your shoulder back you need to back off of it.Same as setting your resizing die for the correct headspace for the rifle you are using.You might try resizing through your normal process,then use that case to set your trim die.Should be able to feel when the shoulder hits the end of the die and set it there.
Old August 21, 2006, 07:49 PM   #27
BigJakeJ1s

Quote:
The Lee works great if you only need to trim back to standard specs., but when I got a RCBS X-Die, I needed to trim back further than the Lee allows, so I bought the hand crank 1500 Redding. It takes a few minutes to adjust when changing calibers, but after that it is quick and easy.
Couldn't you grind/polish a little off the length of the Lee pilot/gauge to work at the length needed by the X die?

Or Can the X die be adjusted to use the standard trim-to length?

Andy
Old August 23, 2006, 11:15 PM   #28
Bogie

The Lee is great bang for buck if you need one set length forever.

For accuracy and concentricity, nothing beats the Wilson.

I have yet to see someone shooting competitive benchrest using one of the Giraud thingies. I've seen Lee and Wilson, and an occasional RCBS-type...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old August 24, 2006, 03:56 PM   #29
castnblast

Bogie, this is a question to your previous reply, and I've wondered, but never asked...why would one need a different case length? I have a lee and love it, but I've heard of some other shooters using different case lengths and was curious. I'm not referring to COL.