The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 6, 2015, 10:56 AM   #76
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando1992 View Post
He got his at a gun show for 279, which after tax was just a hair under 300. Might just be on the lookout next gun show your at, possibly skip the shipping and FFL fee
They go for $300 plus around here still. I can usually find deals with free shipping, or at least shipping under $10, and the transfer fee at the dealer I use is $10, so I can save about $40 buying online. That's good for a couple hundred rounds of range ammo
Old November 6, 2015, 01:01 PM   #77
Brando1992

Well shoot dang, be sure to share those deals when you find them!
Q:Are you using sarcasm? A: Is the Pope Catholic?
Old November 7, 2015, 06:06 PM   #78
Beerster69

I bought a PT111 G2 in August. I love it. I took it out of the box and fired 600 rounds through it of 115 fmj and it never had a problem. 50 of the bullets were the Walmart Aluminum cartridge ones. I cleaned it afterwards because I felt like it has proven itself to me about reliability. It was plenty dirty. I am strongly considering a Sccy cxp2 for CC. I think the PT 111 just doesn't fit as well in my pocket. I was almost ready to buy a Diamondback, but their back and forth between Taurus has me leery.
Old November 8, 2015, 12:29 AM   #79
Brando1992

Today I went to a gun show with some extra money looking for a good deal on a new gun. I went looking specifically for:

canik tp9sa
Ruger 22/45 or browning buckmark
EAA SAR B6P
EAA Witness

I found all of them and finally got to handle and dry fire a few of the guns we talked about on here. I ended up not liking the feel of the grip or trigger on the 3 or 4 EAA's I got to hold, though they were decent prices but, there wasn't much appeal at that point. I absolutely flipped over the trigger on the TP9SA... Honestly I am still surprised I didn't walk out with the display one. but it was just a little more than I wanted to spend. But I did find a great deal on a 22/45 that I just couldn't pass up.

I am sold on the TP9SA and the SD9VE at this point though.The canik is high on my list and the SD9VE will always be my suggestion for someones first gun at this point.

I still wish I had liked the SAR B6P...
Old November 8, 2015, 02:46 AM   #80
leadcounsel

Quote:
I ended up not liking the feel of the grip or trigger on the 3 or 4 EAA's I got to hold,
I'm shocked. I now have probably 5 or 6 of these SAR/EAA pistols. They are remarkably identical in fit, finish, trigger, feel... and I find the triggers on all of them consistently awesome. DA is a consistent pull and break, and SA is fantastic.

Oh well, to each their own.
Old November 8, 2015, 11:58 AM   #81
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Shootability goes to the glock, but not $300 better.
I'm unsure with exactly what Glock's pricing model is, but they seem to be pricing themselves out of their market IMO. While everyone else's polymer guns get cheaper, Glock seems to keep upping the price tag.

One of the online dealers has $360 G19 GEN II right now.
Old November 8, 2015, 03:20 PM   #82
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilliamson062 View Post
I'm unsure with exactly what Glock's pricing model is, but they seem to be pricing themselves out of their market IMO. While everyone else's polymer guns get cheaper, Glock seems to keep upping the price tag.

One of the online dealers has $360 G19 GEN II right now.
Uh huh.

(Post 34)
Old November 9, 2015, 12:50 AM   #83
Brando1992

Lead, when picking it up the grips didn't feel right in my hand and the trigger was crisp, just heavy for single action. Double action was extremely heavy as well. Like I said, I wish I had liked it. I'm sure it shoots great, but even though they are sold for a phenomenal price I would rather add on a little money for a gun I know I will love without any gamble.
Old November 9, 2015, 12:04 PM   #84
Beerster69

I went to Rural King yesterday and compared the grip and feel of the sccy cpx2 (on sale for $199) the Taurus 709 slim (on sale for $219) and the taurus pt111 G2 (like I have). The Sccy and the PT111 are very close in size, and I just didn't like the feel of the grip with it's finger groves. I think the SCCY looks thicker. I don't think it saves much at all in size, and the weight in my hands is negligible. I like the 709 feel and thinness, but it is the same height and length as the PT 111 and holds 7 rds vs 12. I went there to buy a SCCY and walked out with nothing.

I also own a PPKs and it is similar in size to the 709 Slim but is .380 vs 9mm. It also holds 7 rds. I wonder if it is really worth it to bump up to 9mm?

It doesn't do much good to buy a carry gun that you leave at home because you can't hide it.

Rural King was selling Diamondback DB9 for $212 a few months ago. Do guns usually go on sale on Black Friday? I don't buy guns that often or pay attention until recently here in St. Louis.
Old November 9, 2015, 02:38 PM   #85
Brando1992

beerster I would strongly suggest something like the S&W shield as the largest gun to consider for a pocket gun and would suggest something along the lines of the ruger LCP, S&W bodyguard, or Taurus TCP. I had the TCP and it spent more time at the factory for repairs than it did in a holster... so it was sold immediately. In the long run i plan to own a LCP custom or a glock 42(the 43 is a little to large for a pocket gun) and a Shield. Keltec makes quite a few pocket sized guns but you can read about my feelings towards keltec on my original post...
Old November 12, 2015, 09:48 AM   #86
Brando1992

http://www.guns.com/2015/11/10/lawsu...ng-settlement/

The PT111 is included in this lawsuit. So I wont ever recommend it as a viable option for someone. After my experience with my TCP and 2 lawsuits in a year, they are just not a reliable option.
Old March 12, 2017, 08:51 PM   #87
GarandTd

PT111 G2 is not part of the lawsuit

Old thread, but the last post needs clarification IMO. The Taurus PT111 is included in the class action lawsuit. The Taurus PT111 G2 is not.

A friend and I went shopping around the budget pistol market this weekend. He ended up staking his claim on a Canik TP9SA in desert sand for $359+tax. I went with the SAR K2P for $279+tax. We handled just about all the pistols listed in this thread. While price was definately a factor, we made our choices based on comfort and features combined with mostly stellar reviews of both. If concealment was a priority, I would have gotten the PT111 G2. We got them at Rural King. They had the best prices and layaway.
Old March 12, 2017, 11:12 PM   #88
tahunua001

so... I love zombie threads, much better than the zombie movies, tv shows, video games, comic books, novels, textbooks, automobiles, sidewalk art, and targets that grace my life of a daily basis. I especially enjoy the ones that I had original input on. I know this situation was settled a year and a half ago, but let me offer an update on my input.

in 2015 I did not offer the best opinion of Canik based on experience with a single sample from the first generation of Canik TP9. since this thread died, I have had the fortune of purchasing the Canik TP9SF, as well as the Ruger 9E which was also a topic of the OP. The Ruger 9E in my experience was very accurate, and very much an accurate representation of the SR series handguns. I was not bothered by the cheap box that the pistol came with and was not worried about the fact that it only ships with a single magazine because I had several spares thanks to my previous owning of the SR9C. however I would be remiss if I did not point out that it does only ship with one mag, which is a huge PITA and is pretty much a deal breaker for me anymore. the finish is also much cheaper than that of the traditional SR line, but the fit is still solid, the trigger is still great, and the 9E will still fit any holster designed for the SR9(giving it great aftermarket support). The Canik is a night and day difference to my experience with the first gen TP9. the trigger is excellent, one of the best of my striker guns. reliability has been 100%, and accuracy is comparable to any of my other duty sized 9mms. The accessories that comes with it are some of the best freebees that I've received with a handgun. I have actually carried this handgun concealed, and did not need a trenchcoat to do so. I carry appendix and normally wear polo shirts, never had anything beyond minor printing and easily covered by a hoodie or light jacket.
Old March 12, 2017, 11:39 PM   #89
GarandTd

I'm always torn between breathing life back into a zombie thread or just starting a new one on the same topic.

Which is better?

I'm very happy with my choice of the SAR, but I'd be lying if I wasn't a wee bit jealous of all the accessories that came with my friends Canik.
Old March 13, 2017, 09:29 AM   #90
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

380 auto if you want CC gun. If only a range gun than a Beretta 92 type big gun to shoot soft.

No need for an 9mm Luger as CCW.

Just get an 380 acp. And use ONLY FMJ (ball) ammo in the 380 auto.
The 380 acp with FMJ gets you more penetration than an 9x19 with hollow points.

See this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soNdX36P-3E&sns=em

The 380 auto ball ammo penetrated 19.6“
The 9mm Luger hollow point penetrated 17“.

380 auto has the advantage of less recoil in such light guns.
Old March 13, 2017, 10:52 AM   #91
Brando1992

Yey, an old thread with new life! I am always down for that!

Being the original one to post this my views have changed slightly since then!

I for the most part will still be sticking with what I originally said about the Taurus, I'm not trying to be an elitist or snobby about firearms, as I know they work for some people, but I will never recommend them to anyone based on my experience with them. But I did not realize the G2 was not a part of the lawsuit. Thanks for your clarification.

When it comes to Taurus, I would say you need to put at least 500 trouble free rounds through it before trusting it as a carry gun. Personally I feel like any carry gun should have that many trouble free rounds through it before its carried but I know not everyone can afford that especially when we are looking at budget pistols, so I have settled on a minimum of 200 rounds through a gun before carrying if its a reputable brand, unfortunately Taurus is not a reputable brand in my eyes.

So with all that said we can get onto my thoughts on the best budget pistols out now. I can say with 100% confidence the canik is the best budget firearm on the market. It has a phenomenal trigger I have close to $1200 invested in my glock, and I could only dream of its trigger being as good as a $300 caniks!

I do not see anything wrong with the other options out right now, except if they come with 1 mag. That's almost a deal breaker for me. I include the cost of a second mag into the cost at this point because I will not own a gun with only one mag(the reason for this is malfunction clearing, not because I expect to need 30 rounds in a defensive scenario) I have seen tp9sf's for sale for $285 both locally and online, I have recommended that gun to many new shooters and they have not been disappointed at all.

The canik vs sar comes down to hammer vs striker fired for me. I do not care for the holster that comes with the canik and the sar would be about $25 for a second mag so the prices are very comparable without much of an advantage either way. I have a love for CZ's as well as Glocks, so I internally battle the striker vs hammer fired fight every day haha. my glock is my favorite carry gun, but my cz's are my favorite bedside guns. I shoot the cz's better but I love shooting my glock almost the same(the struggle). That comes down to what you prefer. I would take a look into the differences and see which you are most comfortable with.

As for a carry gun, I would suggest a smith and wesson shield. I know its not as much of a budget friendly option but if you look hard enough you can get one for $300 new. I have bought three of them and 2 of them were $300. the other was used and came with all sorts of holsters and upgrades. But I cannot say enough good things about the shield for the price.

If you want me to go deeper into any of this just let me know.

Just know that though I feel like the canik is an amazing gun for the cost, I do not think you made a bad decision. It simply comes down to what you are most comfortable with.
Old March 14, 2017, 10:19 AM   #92
GarandTd

Brando1992 I appreciate you're thoughts. Thank you. I have no regrets about my choice. It is my 1st pistol, but certainly not my last.

My "which is better" comment referee to reviving zombies or starting a new thread.
Old March 14, 2017, 10:35 AM   #93
Brando1992

ah gottcha, guess I just read right through it and didnt give it much thought.
Old March 14, 2017, 10:49 AM   #94
GarandTd

All good and all relevant.
Old March 16, 2017, 06:22 AM   #95
roarshock

Interesting time lapse exposure. New buyers are fortunate today with all the great choices, some quite cheap. Poor Taurus can't seem to live down rumors while laughing all the way to the bank with their innovative designs. Glock in a wheelchair, demented, still rolling along oblivious to the whole idea. Even Sig caught on a little. Plus one for Canik. Tristar C-100 especially is a favorite once I mastered decocking the hammer safely. That took more time than it really should have. Elegant, compact, traditional. Perfect size. Really like the SD9VE as well for even less money and different reasons. Better choice for beginners and non gun people. Safe, reliable, and the trigger wears in just fine after 500 rounds. Excellent choice for under $300. Lots of pressure on the over $500 status quo in general from a several high quality pistols. Good times for the shooting sports!
Old March 16, 2017, 06:24 AM   #96
hemiram

I have several, ahem, "budget" handguns. All of them are good shooters, and they all have good and bad points. Most of the bad points involve heavy triggers. None of them have any accuracy issues, they all shoot where I point them, good or bad.

Canik TP9v2, Perfect for about 250 rounds so far, decent trigger, very accurate. I like it a lot for the "solid" trigger, none of the trigger safety blade stuff. I will say I like hammer fired guns a lot better than striker. Yeah, I'm old.
Taurus PT111 G2. I have two of them. Both have modded sights and I have replaced the recoil spring assembly with the Lakeline LLC one. The trigger is odd, but I shoot it very well for as small as it is. Sig P226 mags work in it.
Taurus PT809 Compact. Seems to shoot well, great grip shape. Only complaint is the mag release is very hard to press from the left side. From the other side, I can do it with my trigger finger easily. It's been discontinured, so finding another smaller 13 round mag is almost impossible. The gun comes with a grip spacer for the included 17 round mag, so it's only a problem if you try to carry it.
SAR K2P. Really heavy D/A trigger. OK S/A though. Very solid and I would say it's every bit the equal to the very similar and much more expensive Witness P compact. I got mine for $250 shipped. Takes CZ 75 mags.
I also have 3 Tanfoglio 9mms that came from Israel, two fullsized TA/90's and a BTA90 compact. All are great shooters, and have a look that most other guns can't come close to:

And I just got a LEO trade in Sig P226. I haven't shot it yet, but it looks very good, and it was under $400, shipped. Night sights are pretty weak, but it's about 15 years old, so it's expected. It will soon get relamped at Trijicon.

Soon I will be buying a TriStar P-100, and probably a P-120 too. I have no fear of any Turkish made guns. I have a SAR K2 45 and it's a great gun. Not the equal of my Sig P220 accuracy wise, but at almost $100 less(The 220 was a LEO trade in), I can't complain, the difference is very slight. If the K2 45 had night sights and a little lighter D/A pull, I would take it over the Sig just for the grip shape alone.
Old March 16, 2017, 09:22 AM   #97
GarandTd

I brought home my K2P last night. I couldn't be happier with it. I put a box of Tulammao through it. Those rounds were garbage. All 50 fired, but about one out of every 6 rounds had a weak report and FTE, forcing me to drop the mag, clear the empty case and check for barrel obstructions. I'm sure it was the ammo and not the gun.
Old March 16, 2017, 09:44 AM   #98
GarandTd

The Tulammao was 115gr steel case/jacket. Remington green box shot fine. I will say I got a good laugh from the QC tag on the pistol. "Quality control is made"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rps20170316_103457_569.jpg (128.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg rps20170316_103514_089.jpg (127.6 KB, 31 views)
Old March 17, 2017, 11:22 AM   #99
Auriemma

Don't forget to look at the EAA Tanfoglio Witness P series... under $300 and is a damn fine gun. I've been running Federal 115gr aluminum cased, Blazer Brass 115gr, and Fiocchi 124gr brass through it. No issues.
Henry Golden Boy 22LR
Old March 17, 2017, 05:36 PM   #100
GarandTd

I ran a box of BlazerBrass 124gr today trouble free (not that I expected any trouble). That's a total of 200 rounds so far. The safety lever is loosening up. At first, it was too stiff to operate with just my thumb. I also received my 19 Rd Mecgar magazine today. It fits great. Maybe even better than the original SAR mag. It really doesn't add too much length to the grip. I haven't run any rounds through that yet.

Tags
budget , cheap , first gun