The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 31, 2012, 06:20 PM   #1
spacecoast

Cost of .44 special ammo

Ammo Engine shows .44 special going for close to $1 a round. What is the cheapest you've been able to find on the shelf?

I have always thought that 75% savings was the best I could do (.380ACP) but having just loaded up 100 rounds of .44 special for about $7.00 a box with range brass, purchased bullets, primers and powder I think I'm doing even better than that with this wonderful but apparently hard to find round. I have seen .44 mag at Wal_Mart for about $28 a box lately, but have never seen any .44 special.
Old December 31, 2012, 06:25 PM   #2
PawPaw

Yeah, I don't see much .44 Special locally either, but I make mine at home for about $7.00 a box of 50. I do have to buy brass occasionally, but I shoot that caliber in single action revolvers, so I don't lose much of it.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old December 31, 2012, 06:41 PM   #3
DFrame

I haven't fired a 44 special factory cartridge in many years.
I don't bother to calculate how much they cost. I just load'em by the hundreds (thousands) and shoot them.
Old January 1, 2013, 12:26 AM   #4
gwalchmai

I've never purchased any factory .44 SPL, but the last I saw was a few months ago at Adventure Outdoors in Marietta, GA. They had three or four brands/loads and all were about $45/50. I can reload them for 12-15 cents per round.
Old January 1, 2013, 12:37 AM   #5
drail

I think we are about to see reloading go from a "hobby" to a "requirement" if you like to shoot.
Old January 1, 2013, 08:59 AM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

The local gun store is not know for low prices on their ammo at all.

Price of a box of .44 Special is $38 for the cheapest box of I think PMC (May be Fiocchci) They are cheap range ammo. Winchester Super X were $49.99 for 20.

Acadamy had some on the shelf I forget what the exact price was. It was around $1 a round or a little over that. Price is around what .45 Colt was.

For the best savings casting your own bullets will give you the most bangs for the buck. It cut the price of my .41 Rem Mag from $1.50 or more a shot (factory) to less than 8 cents. Berry's Plated were running around $45 per 250 (I have 3 boxes of them still put away.) Remington JSP were around $30 per 100 (Have about 150 still put away as well.) I run jacketed, and plated with AA#9, as well as some of the cast lead. For the most part I use Trail Boss.
Old January 1, 2013, 11:56 AM   #7
rclark

I've never picked up any factory .44Spec rounds either. I go straight to Starline and order up 1000 or so pieces of brass. In fact I just got another 500 .44Spec and 500 .45 Colt just last month. Then your set. Order up some cast bullets from Penn, or Rimrock and good to go. I figure $20 a 100 when all said and done.

Never have seen it on the shelf (although I never look very hard either).
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.