The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 11, 2008, 11:57 PM   #1
doh_312

Special Choke Needed

Do I need any type of special choke in my shotgun to shoot steel shot out of it? I'm going after some geese this weekend, first time, and I just want to make sure I have everything correct. I imagine a full choke would be ideal, but do I need anything special for the steel shot?
Old December 12, 2008, 12:13 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

for an example... on the mossberg "accu-choke" line up they state plainly which are suited for steel which are not. I gather from those on here that are familiar with choke selection ( I AM NOT) that it will either say on the choke or paper work safe for steel shot. I think it is just that a full for lead may be too tight for steel IIRC...
Brent
Old December 12, 2008, 12:18 AM   #3
zippy13

Brent's right; but, some screw-in chokes aren't happy with steel shot. What gun do you have, and what does the owners manual say about steel shot. There's a very good chance an "all shot" goose/duck choke is available for your gun? Check out Brileys
Old December 12, 2008, 12:26 AM   #4
doh_312

It's a Remy 870 12g and a 20g for the wife. I was on the forum here when that thought popped into my head. Hadn't even checked the manual yet, figured I'd just throw the post up since I was already here. Thanks for the info guys. I'll go dig up the manual.
Old December 12, 2008, 08:39 AM   #5
true_pair

Typically you would get a tighter pattern out of steel shot from that same choke tube as compared to lead. So if you shoot steel out of full choke tube it would be like shooting lead out of extra full. Carlson makes tubes that are designed for lead or steel shot. I shot trap with my Mossberg 590 with factory tubes in it. The club only allowed steel shot and I never had any issues with the gun

BEN FRANKLIN
Old December 12, 2008, 10:47 AM   #6
rem870hunter

if its screw in type (rem choke) choke. looser than full is fine. full only if the choke reads STEEL OR LEAD,LEAD OR STEEL.

remington says that full,extra full approved for steel shot are marked as such. they do make a hevi shot choke too. aftermarket made tubes should be fine too. just be sure thay are approved for steel if its tighter than modified.