The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 2, 2012, 09:46 AM   #101
thallub

Both bills passed the house committee:

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news...ittee-20120229

Quote:
Springfield, Ill. - Legislation that would require handguns to be registered and place a tax on ammunition was approved by an Illinois House committee Wednesday, despite opposition from gun-rights advocates.
Old March 2, 2012, 10:27 AM   #102
C0untZer0

Yes they passed the committee, and not only that but they were reported favorably to the House.

It's not a surprise though - the Executive Committee is stacked by Mike Madigan - BTW people should be familiar with that name - it appears in Moore v Madigan and Shepard v Madigan - Lisa Madigan is Mike madigan's daughter.

Nepotism is the Chicago way. When Mayor Daley senior was once criticised by the press for nepotism he replied "If I don't take care of my kid, who else is gonna? Doesn't evryone take care of their kids?"

Anyway, Mike Madigan has the executive committee stacked with people like Eddie Acevedo, so it was no surprise it made it out of committee.

One interesting thing is that the Chairman decided not to read the slips. This is within the chairman's power to do so, but they are put into the record, according to the chairman "Reading of the witness statements is waived because it looks like the Springfield phone book".

I'm sure that 99% of those witness slips were oppossed to the legislation and it got the chairman's attention.
Old March 2, 2012, 02:09 PM   #103
C0untZer0

Article and poll on the ammo tax

This poll is on the left side of the screen, just scroll down a bit.

http://www.bnd.com/2012/03/01/208017...-bills-on.html

And feel free to leave comments also
Old March 4, 2012, 03:03 AM   #104
shortwave

Quote:
And fell free to leave a comment also
Wish I could but 'comments section closed'.

I did read and agree with most of the posted comments.

Unfortunately, come election time, many seem to forget the underhanded schemes,tricks and treason's of former/current office holders.

Emanuel going from the White House to Illinois Mayor is proof of above statement. A true shame he could even run as dog catcher and receive enough votes to win.
Too, scary there is enough people that exist to get him elected.
Old March 4, 2012, 10:16 AM   #105
C0untZer0

I know we're not supposed to talk about Zombies

Quote:
Too, scary there is enough people that exist to get him elected.
It's Chicago,

Being dead has never stopped people from voting...
Old March 4, 2012, 11:18 AM   #106
publius

Everyone needs to start writing letters. Not only to your representative/ Senator, but all of them. Write the Supreme court justices too. I don't know about there, but they are elected in MS.
Old March 4, 2012, 03:46 PM   #107
C0untZer0

This weekend there were 5 stabbings in Chicago, (that made the news), and two State Troopers who were burned pulling a drunk out of a burning vehicle that she drove into a tree. The driver was burned also.

Haven't heard about passing a tax on knives / blades to fund trauma centers. Haven't heard about adding a trauma surcharge to vehicle sales to fund trauma centers and I haven't heard of increasing taxes on alcohol to fund trauma centers.
Old March 4, 2012, 04:02 PM   #108
RINGKINGS

Problem solved

If not registering your handgun makes you a Felon, then you are no longer
required to register your handgun based on the 5th amendment that states you
cannot be required to incriminate yourself. PROBLEM SOLVED
Old March 4, 2012, 05:54 PM   #109
spanishjames

Is it a coincidence that the Ammo Tax Bill, as well as the Registration Bill, both made it out of Comittee just a few days before IGOLD? Is it possible the bills could go to the floor for a vote and pass before IGOLD?
Old March 4, 2012, 08:18 PM   #110
C0untZer0

^ these bills don't stand a chance on the general floor, but there is talk about the timing. Some speculate that it is an attempt to get us to NOT talk about HB 148 - The Family Protection Act when we get to Springfield next week.

There is a whole thread at Illinois Carry http://www.illinoiscarry.com/forum/ admonishing people to stay on track with focusing on moving forward with an Illinois carry law.

This debate also pops up in the national media occasionally so it's kind of a vehicle for anti-gunners to get their message out nationally as well.
Old March 4, 2012, 09:41 PM   #111
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINGKINGS
If not registering your handgun makes you a Felon, then you are no longer required to register your handgun based on the 5th amendment that states you cannot be required to incriminate yourself. PROBLEM SOLVED
Sorry, it's not that simple. If not registering your handgun makes you a felon, then registering your handgun would not be self-incriminating, . . . unless you're already a felon. IOW, the 5th Amendment protects felons from registration laws (because registration would be an admission that the felon owns a gun), but us non-felons have to look for some other argument to defeat registration plans.
Old March 7, 2012, 10:55 AM   #112
C0untZer0

This is Florida's fault

Since Rahm is only a mayor, not a legislator, he needed someone to draft his ideas into bills. That someone was Kelly Cassidy, who is from Florida.

Quote:
Originally from Florida, Cassidy said she grew up in a setting where guns were a way of life, and she empathizes with hunters and others who shoot for sport.

“But I’ve spent 15 years in the criminal justice system seeing what guns are doing to my community,” Cassidy said. “I absolutely see no legitimate purpose for handguns. I just don’t.”
http://www.sj-r.com/top-stories/x587...regional-lines

Thanks Florida...

Old March 7, 2012, 11:20 AM   #113
Glenn E. Meyer

What does Florida have to do with?

Nothing.

I'm from NYC and now I am progun.

Thanks, NYC

Let's have some logic here.
Old March 7, 2012, 11:29 AM   #114
ming

Kelly Cassidy is a member of the Illinois House of Representatives in her first term. She has introduced a number of anti-gun bills.
Old March 7, 2012, 02:50 PM   #115
Armorer-at-Law

Pointing out that the person being quoted was "originall from Florida" and that she "grew up in a setting where guns were a way of life" and empathizing with "hunters" and shooting for "sport" was the author's attempt to manufacture credibility and show that the speaker must be a reasonable person (not someone who has lived an urban Chicago life all her days). But we've heard those tired lines too many times...

And it's not Florida's fault.
Old March 7, 2012, 05:17 PM   #116
shortwave

Quote:
And it's not Florida's fault.
...nor all Kelly Cassidy's fault. Illinois gun laws were screwed up long before she arrived. She's just trying to add on to an already existing stack of communistic, anti Constitutional garbage.

Most all states have these kind of people in them. Some are just in the 'public' lime-light more.
Old March 11, 2012, 10:16 PM   #117
C0untZer0

After only 1 day out of committee HB5745 - New Family and Personal Protection Act / Concealed Carry Firearms, has 33 sponsors. For comparison, Representative Cassidy's center piece legislation, HB5167 - Use/Occ Tax Ammunition, enjoys the support of 1 sponsor besides herself after more than a full week.
Old March 12, 2012, 11:04 AM   #118
Spats McGee
Staff

If those bills say what I think they say, C0untZer0, then that sounds promising! Good luck.