The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 17, 2013, 10:03 PM   #1
Okie47

Need a little more help with iwb/owb

I need your opinions for my Glock27. Does Kydex wear noticeably harder on the finish than leather? and is an open ended, exposed muzzle good, bad or indifferent? After all my reading, it dawns on me, some OWB are said to be very concealable plus dual function. I was ready to order a Don Hume H715 but couldn't find it. Just tell me, I'm going in circles..thanks.
Old March 18, 2013, 03:42 AM   #2
oldandslow

okie, 3/18/13

I've used Kydex and leather IWB for a number of years and much prefer the leather. Leather seems gentler on the finish and more comfortable to me. I prefer the open bottomed holsters as they don't collect lint or other foreign bodies at the bottom of the holster. I do prefer holsters that cover the whole barrel and not those that leave the barrel or end of the slide exposed. I've used Don Hume and am happy with their products. I also have the usual drawer full of different holsters by different makers and all are functional. Holsters are like potato chips- you can never have just one. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old March 18, 2013, 07:22 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Need a little more help with iwb/owb

I've worn my Glock 33 in a Crossbreed Supertuck for over 5 years, pretty much every day for most of that time.

The only finish wear is right at the edge of the kydex. There's a thin line on the slide that looks "polished". It's less than 1/8" wide.

Personally, I could care less. It shows that the gun has been doing its job. Almost a mark of honor. It's a "work" gun not a beauty pageant entry.