The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 17, 2013, 10:31 AM   #26
K_Mac

Stipper clips?

I am told these are part of the ...er...uniform at some adult establishments.
Old January 17, 2013, 11:19 AM   #27
rellik74

magazine clip, to cut out the center fold paste it on the wall, lol
Old January 17, 2013, 11:25 AM   #28
wogpotter

Its the dingus that lets you clip 2 "bannana magazines" together.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 17, 2013, 11:29 AM   #29
gunloony

Doesn't the M-1 (Garand) use a magazine clip?

I tend toward Mark Twain's view of using language correctly: "The difference between the right word and almost the right word is like the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." I think people who use terms incorrectly should be tactfully informed of the error and the correct usage. To a large extent whoever is allowed to define the words used in the debate wins the debate.
Old January 17, 2013, 12:40 PM   #30
KMAX

Quote:
Stripper clips, that is. I suppose they could be called magazine clips.
I believe the Garand and some other battle rifles used an en bloc clip that was inserted into the magazine loaded full of ammo and were ejected when the lasr round was fired. This seems like the most likely thing that could be called a magaxine clip. Or maybe something like a spring clip that held a magazine together, though I have never seen anything like this.

While arguing semantics might make us look more extreme, it might also make some people realize that they don't know much about firearms and take some of the ignorant arguement out of them. A guy at work was talking about his three "assault weapons" (ARs). I asked if they were full auto. No. I asked how many people he had assaulted with them. None. How many times he had defended himself with them. None. What makes them assault weapons? They have pistol grips, collapsible stocks, and 30 round clips. I asked what is a clip. It is what you put the bullets in. This guy is one of us. I just turned back to my keyboard and monitor contraption and went back to work. Some people can't be helped.

The problem of these ignorant people is that they are the ones making policy and law for all of us.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old January 17, 2013, 12:52 PM   #31
SPEMack618

I look at the magazine/clip issue as the same as the assualt weapons debate.

The devil is the details.

One of my Fraternity Brothers was very adamant about an assualt weapons ban until I showed him a picture of my Mini-14 and the new 'tactical" Mini-14 and said that they were the same rifle but one would be illegal, the other wouldn't.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:43 PM   #32
BlueTrain

It's what some manufacturers call them to distinguish them from tube magazines, which probably some of you have heard of but probably never seen.

English is a funny language, even for us foreigners. You know, the way flammable and inflammable mean the same thing, just like ravel and unravel. It really mystifies me how people get so confused about clips. But the topper is the way Colt just had to go and call their newfangled pistol a .45 automatic when everyone in their right mind knows you still have to pull the trigger.

It's probably even funnier in French but of course no such confusion exists in German.
Buy War Bonds.
Old January 17, 2013, 03:04 PM   #33
SPEMack618

Is it bad that I love getting funny looks when I refer to my M-1991A1 as a Government Model .45 Automatic just to segway into a lecture on the difference between an automatic pistol, revovlers, and machine pistols?
Old January 17, 2013, 05:22 PM   #34
SC4006

Quote:
Doesn't the M-1 (Garand) use a magazine clip
The M1 Garand uses an En Bloc clip, the clip gets inserted into the garand's magazine which is where the follower is located that pushes the rounds into feeding position. Similar concept as a stripper clip, it holds the rounds in place to be inserted into the magazine, except with the garand of course the clip goes in with the rounds.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old January 17, 2013, 06:45 PM   #35
hardworker

Quote:
Is it bad that I love getting funny looks when I refer to my M-1991A1 as a Government Model .45 Automatic just to segway into a lecture on the difference between an automatic pistol, revovlers, and machine pistols?
Don't know, but how do you feel when a know-it-all lures you into a trap so he can explain something you don't really care about? Something that ultimately makes no difference? That's how anti's view us, and it's not a wholly inaccurate view.
Old January 17, 2013, 06:58 PM   #36
SPEMack618

Well, I don't do it to be a know-it-all, I do it to educate.

Similar to how I go on epic rants concerning the legality of true, honest to your make assualt rifles.
Old January 17, 2013, 10:17 PM   #37
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLee
I know many of the anti-gun groups are knowledgeable, but they are using the general public’s lack of knowledge against us.

That is why it is important for us to educate people without sounding too condescending.
Exactly.

And we need to find a way, as tactfully as possible, to also convey to the unknowledgeable that they ARE being deliberately, intentionally disinformed and misled. And I use the word "disinformed" intentionally. "Misinformation" can be accidental, as in passed from one unknowledgeable person to another. When someone knows what's correct but intentionally propagates incorrect information -- that's "disinformation."

In other words, we need to be careful how we tell them but the masses are being lied to. The reason we have to be gentle is that, while people generally don't like being fooled, they also don't like being TOLD that they've been fooled.
Old January 21, 2013, 03:10 PM   #38
alan

might be a bit of metal or plastic that attaches a box magazine to web gear or your belt. you could always pose that question to media types, depending on the amount of ignorant blather one is willing to absorb or be exposed to.

Ditto for assault weapon/assault rifle", though there are some surprising exceptions to be found, if one looks
Old January 21, 2013, 06:49 PM   #39
Rainbow Demon

Only feed device I can think of offhand that would fit the term "magazine clip" is the feed device used on some early crank operated rapid fire guns.
It was basically a gravity feed clip constructed somewhat like a stripper clip only without any spring.
It fed directly into the feedway the cartridges picked up by the bolt with no box magazine in between.

I believe these were the basis for the later stripper clips used in charging a box magazine.
Old January 21, 2013, 07:47 PM   #40
Goet

Old January 23, 2013, 07:54 AM   #41
BlueTrain

Personally, I think you're making too much of these trivial distinctions. It is as if you're trying to define something out of existance. So, here's another thing to ponder at 2:00 AM tomorrow morning.

Is a revolver a pistol?
Buy War Bonds.
Old January 23, 2013, 02:42 PM   #42
K_Mac

Quote:
Is a revolver a pistol?
Absolutely, by any traditional definition. Some get all worked up over the distinction between semiautos and revolvers; in my world they are both pistols.
Old January 23, 2013, 03:51 PM   #43
Willie D

I actually think "magazine clip" is an attempt by the media to use the correct term, "magazine", and not confuse all the people who know the item as a "clip".

I've read/heard several news pieces admit or clarify that they had been using incorrect firearms definitions and that they were trying to use factually correct ones.

Maybe they're listening?

Last edited by Willie D; January 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old January 23, 2013, 10:29 PM   #44
alan

Stripper Clips are devices used for quickly loading/reloading the internal magazines of some bolt action rifles, assuming that there were "charger slots" machined into the rear bridge/rear ring of the rifles receiver. Example of such rifles is several models of Mauser bolt action service rifles, the U.S. Springfield, the U.S. Rifle Model 1917, Model 70 Winchesters, Remington 40X Rangmaster among others. The U.S. Rifle M-14, a semi-automatic rifle that operated with a removable box magazine also had "charger slots" for reloading the box magazine while on the rifle. Stripper Clips held 5 rounds, in most cases.

Last edited by alan; January 23, 2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old January 23, 2013, 11:26 PM   #45
couillon

Merriam Webster

2 clip noun
Definition of CLIP
1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm
3: a piece of jewelry held in position by a clip

Old January 23, 2013, 11:42 PM   #46
ScottRiqui

Quote:
Absolutely, by any traditional definition. Some get all worked up over the distinction between semiautos and revolvers; in my world they are both pistols.
Absolutely. The whole "pistol means semi-automatic" thing is a fairly recent development in firearm nomenclature. Most people will see the light if you point out that we call these "pistols", and always have:

Plus, I think if you can find the patent application for the first revolver, it's described as a "pistol" as well.
Old January 24, 2013, 02:07 AM   #47
Theohazard

Quote:
Merriam Webster

2 clip noun
Definition of CLIP
1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm
3: a piece of jewelry held in position by a clip
Dictionaries merely reflect the usage of the language, whether or not it is technically correct.

The word "fortuitous" originally only meant "happening by chance". Winning the lottery could be fortuitous, and getting killed by a bus with bad brakes could be fortuitous also. But "fortuitous" sounds similar to "fortunate", and pretty soon people incorrectly used "fortuitous" to mean "lucky". And it was used incorrectly often enough that now "lucky" is one of the definitions of "fortuitous".

The word "clip" has been used by ignorant people to mean "magazine" often enough that it's an accepted dictionary definition. That doesn't make it technically correct.
Old January 24, 2013, 07:33 AM   #48
BlueTrain

I remain unconvinced there is a technical difference between a clip and a removeable magazine, especially since some manufacturers make no such distinction. You may think there is a technical difference but since everyone understands what you mean, there's no practical difference. True, there are some magazines that are not clips but the magazine from a .45 automatic can easily be called a clip with no harm to anyone and unless you are especially thick headed, you know what it is. And by the way, it is both proper and permissible to call it an automatic pistol, as in Automatic Colt Pistol.

Verstehen Sie?
Buy War Bonds.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:17 AM   #49
Theohazard

I don't always know what someone means when they say "clip". At the shop where I work, if someone asks for a clip for an SKS, sometimes they actually mean a stripper clip and sometimes they mean a magazine for the Tapco converted versions. If someone asks for a clip for an AR-15, sometimes they actually mean "stripper clip", considering military 5.56 ammo comes that way. And we usually carry a few revolvers chambered in .45 ACP, so sometimes when people ask for a clip for a .45 they want a moon clip for a revolver.

There is a technical difference. That is not debatable. Whether the technically incorrect term "clip" should be accepted by the gun world to mean "magazine" is a different issue.

I say, "No". The biggest problem we have right now in the gun world is our country's complete and total ignorance on firearms. We have a majority of people who have been convinced that an "assault weapon" actually exists, that it's more deadly than other rifles, and that it's a danger to society and it needs to be banned. It's always amazing to me the look on people's faces when I tell them that assault rifles are already all but banned, "assault weapons" are just rifles with scary-looking features, and ALL rifles only account for 2.8% of ALL firearm deaths.

That's the problem in our county: our gun laws are made and supported by people who know absolutely nothing about firearms. Educating people on the difference between a "clip" and a "magazine" is the first step to combat that ignorance.
Old January 24, 2013, 12:52 PM   #50
BlueTrain

No, your problem is that you can't convince anyone that an AR-15 is an innocent and not particularly deadly sporting weapon.
Buy War Bonds.