The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old November 10, 2011, 12:33 PM   #1
south.texas.dead.I

Favorite mould for .357 target

I'm about to add a .357 to my reloading die set and plan on moulding for this as well as my .40 and was curious to see what yalls favorite bullet is for target shooting.

Tapatalk ya
Old November 10, 2011, 02:00 PM   #2
Chaz88

For punching nice holes in paper full wad cutter is best followed closely by semi wad cutter.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 10, 2011, 02:10 PM   #3
zxcvbob

I like Lee's tumble lube DEWC's, but their 158-RF bullet is really nice too. It (the RF) has a flat nose that cuts big clean holes -- but they are not full-caliber holes like a wadcutter.

I don't know if you're looking for light target loads or "magnum" loads, but a DEWC loaded to 1.35" OAL with 7.0 grains of WSF or Herco is a nice almost-fullpower load. I haven't tried 6.5 grains of Unique, but it would be in the same ballpark.
Old November 11, 2011, 08:25 AM   #4
PawPaw

I like the Lee TL358158SWC, which is a tumble lube, .358", 158 grain semi wadcutter. It's been my go-to .357 bullet for about a decade.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old November 11, 2011, 10:37 AM   #5
dahermit

Quote:
I'm about to add a .357 to my reloading die set and plan on moulding for this as well as my .40 and was curious to see what yalls favorite bullet is for target shooting.
If you are going to shoot slow fire, without the need to use speed loaders, wad cutter designs as mentioned are the answer. However, if your anticipated shooting is going to include fast reloads, a round nose bullet will allow faster speed loader manipulation inasmuch as round nose bullets will guide the rounds into the chambers, whereas wad cutters tend to hang-up on the chamber mouths.
Old November 11, 2011, 11:47 AM   #6
zxcvbob

This is a good one for both punching holes in paper and loading quickly from a speed loader. The only thing that keep it from being a *great* bullet is the bevel base. I'm thinking about cutting the bevel out of my mold.

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/6-CAV-358-158-RF.html (that's not a good price, btw)

I wonder how much a custom mold from Lee would cost; take that bullet and give it a flat base and a little deeper lube groove?
Old November 11, 2011, 01:56 PM   #7
Clifford L. Hughes

South. Texas. dead I:

Before I got sick and had to quit shooting I shot the Lyman 358156 for manny years. Its a gas check bullet but I shot it without gas checks. It didn't lead my barrel and it was very accurate. I hope that I got the mold number right its been many years since I have cast a bullet.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old November 11, 2011, 04:27 PM   #8
DWFan

A custom mold of any design you can think of. Design the bullet right on the website.
http://www.mountainmolds.com/
Old November 12, 2011, 02:36 PM   #9
hornetguy

Quote:
This is a good one for both punching holes in paper and loading quickly from a speed loader. The only thing that keep it from being a *great* bullet is the bevel base. I'm thinking about cutting the bevel out of my mold.
That's very easy to do, if you have access to a lathe with a 4-jaw chuck. I did it to a single cavity Lee mold for the .375 Winchester. It worked very well.

I suppose if you had a REALLY steady hand, you could do it with a Dremel. Better have de-caf the morning you try that, though..
Old November 12, 2011, 02:50 PM   #10
zxcvbob

Quote:
I suppose if you had a REALLY steady hand, you could do it with a Dremel. Better have de-caf the morning you try that, though.
How about using a pocket knife?