The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 5, 2013, 11:55 AM   #26
RBid

California compliant and unlikely to be banned, with a single UPC. Still +2/+3 over a 1911. It seems like that mag capacity may have been an intentional number.

Given how flat SR series pistols stay during rapid fire, and the current state of the trigger, I expect this to deliver fantastic ease of accuracy, and to be a very controllable .45 platform.

Dollar for dollar, probably one of the best values on the .45 market, if they can avoid any hiccups in the first runs.
Old January 5, 2013, 12:07 PM   #27
jmortimer

^ yes, yes, and yes
Old January 5, 2013, 11:14 PM   #28
Sevens

If I were a betting man and I had someone that would take the bet, I would lay down green cash money that Ruger never makes (nor even comes CLOSE to making) an SR10mm.

I will say, however, that I'd be happy to lose my bet money if Ruger would do it. I'm a 10mm aficionado and I'd LOVE to see Ruger giving a nod to the cartridge.

I know precious little about the SR series of pistols. I have shot the SR9 full size once and it was fine, but nothing I remember of much significance. I look forward to the next SR centerfire I get the chance to shoot a bit and get to know better.

Since day one, handguns have been visceral experiences for me. I own a couple ugly guns (because they serve a role for me) but I've always been drawn to attractive handguns. I've never found polymer handguns to be any manner of attractive, in any well, really. But since the first release, I have always though the SR series is perhaps the best looking of all the tupperware on the market.

Doesn't mean much, really, just how I see it. I think they look pretty darn attractive for what is (in my opinion) a horribly ugly genre of handguns.

Forget a 10mm being related in any way to an SR40. If they actually built a 10 in the SR series, they'd do it properly--by drilling a smaller hole in a .45 cal barrel and use the .45 cal frame size and slide.
Old January 5, 2013, 11:19 PM   #29
Calhoun123

I wonder what bugs the SR 45 will have. It always takes Ruger a few years AFTER RELEASE to the public, before they get things working correctly.
Old January 5, 2013, 11:43 PM   #30
tahunua001

Quote:
I wonder what bugs the SR 45 will have. It always takes Ruger a few years AFTER RELEASE to the public, before they get things working correctly.
incorrect. the SR9 had issues that culminated with a recall less than 6 months into production, the replacement trigger served as a serviceable fix until the SR40 and SR9C were released with an updated trigger and neither those nor the SR40C have suffered any recurring issues at all.

I have never read a bad review of the SR1911 or single thread reporting problems with them.

the SR22 had issues but within 6 months all recurring problems were fixed.

I would really like to know just what other models they released that suffered YEARS worth of recurring problems before ruger fixed them?

Last edited by tahunua001; January 5, 2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old January 6, 2013, 01:12 AM   #31
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoun123 View Post
If I recall correctly, Glock took quite a long time to admit the Gen 4 9mm pistols were jamming machines, and even then they called it an "upgrade", not a repair.
Old January 6, 2013, 01:17 AM   #32
jmortimer

"It always takes Ruger a few years AFTER RELEASE to the public, before they get things working correctly."

Wow ??? Where do they get this stuff????
Old January 6, 2013, 10:16 AM   #33
carguychris

Quote:
California compliant and unlikely to be banned, with a single UPC. Still +2/+3 over a 1911. It seems like that mag capacity may have been an intentional number.
Restrictive American states notwithstanding, the 10rd capacity and a barrel longer than 4.14" mean that Canadians get to play too.

I don't think it's a coincidence that all of the newer full-size Ruger models have barrels over 4.14". I believe that they're designing their pistols with the Canadian commercial market specifically in mind.
Old January 6, 2013, 01:03 PM   #34
Pico

SR 45

The SR platform is so robust, 10 mm and .357 Sig would be easily do-able. I can't wait to check the .45 out.
The SR line is the best buy in it's price range, best trigger, and softest shooter. My opinion only of course.

Pico
Old January 6, 2013, 01:07 PM   #35
tahunua001

to be fair I kindof prefer the trigger and recoil management of the PX4, same price pretty much, however SR definitely feels better in my hand, and has a much easier to use safety switch. I would say it's the best striker fired gun in it's price range though and the SR40 could easily be converted to 357 sig with just a change of barrel.
Old January 6, 2013, 01:16 PM   #36
jimbob86

Quote:
as to the claims of a "Glock wanna be"
If they wanted to make a Glockish gun, they's have modeled the grip after a scrap piece of 2x4.

I like my brother's sr9c .... this would be worth the asking price ($425, IIRC).
Old January 6, 2013, 02:11 PM   #37
carguychris

Quote:
The SR platform is so robust, 10 mm and .357 Sig would be easily do-able.
.357Sig, yes, but 10mm Auto, not so much.

The absence of an "SR357" probably has more to do with perceived lack of market demand than anything else. The round continues to garner LE contracts, but based on talking to the management at a few LGS's, civilian interest in the round seems to be dropping.

OTOH several older .45ACP auto pistol designs adapted to 10mm have a reputation for beating themselves to death with extended use of full-power 10mm ammo (e.g. Colt Delta Elite, S&W 1000-series). The G20 was designed around the 10mm cartridge and doesn't have this reputation; the G21 is adapted from the G20, not the reverse.

I don't think it's reasonable to assume that the SR45 could be adapted into an "SR10" until it hits the market and some expert 'smiths have a chance to analyze it.

Last edited by carguychris; January 6, 2013 at 10:03 PM. Reason: minor reword...
Old January 6, 2013, 02:14 PM   #38
Red Dog

Only concern about the SR45 is when can I get one? 2013,2014,2015.....
Old January 6, 2013, 02:26 PM   #39
tahunua001

the SR1911 was more a problem of a company releasing it's first 1911 and hoping that since it was never really advertized that they could keep up with demand but the demand for 100% american made 1911s is pretty high and Ruger just got bumrushed. polymer framed 45s are not nearly as popular and customers have several different models to choose from with very different ergonomics, triggers, and ammo capacities meaning that the SR45 will only be drawing a portion of the crowd that the SR1911 had.
Old January 6, 2013, 02:40 PM   #40
jimbob86

Ruger is the only major manufacturer with any kind of sense what is wanted in the marketplace.

I am not a Ruger fanboy, but every gun on my list to buy, save two are made by Ruger..... and one is a .50BMG rifle.

By the time I have the scratch saved up for that, they'll probably have one of those, too.
Old January 6, 2013, 04:21 PM   #41
Single Six

The only thing that bugs me is that Ruger has now dropped the P series almost completely, save for the P-95. This is presumably in deference to the SR series. I personally have a strong preference for the P-90 and P345 over the SR guns. I guess now I'll have to go try to find another P345 to keep as a spare before they're all gone.

Last edited by Single Six; January 6, 2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old January 6, 2013, 08:39 PM   #42
Sevens

Quote:
Ruger is the only major manufacturer with any kind of sense what is wanted in the marketplace.
I hate to argue with you, especially with the name I'm about to flip...but Taurus must be mentioned. The Judge and all of it's iteration are almost entirely worthless for anything outside of simple "public want" and Taurus has made a KILLING on them because they knew people wanted them.

They don't keep everything they try around forever, but Taurus isn't afraid to try wacky products and they seem to WANT to deliver anything they think the public is willing to buy.

I know what you mean though, just doesn't seem fair to not give Taurus a mention. .40 and .380 chambered revolvers? Who does that but a risk-taker, trying to deliver stuff the public wants?
Old January 6, 2013, 09:01 PM   #43
wyodesertrat

Do we know when this comes out? I would live one to compliment my sr40

Sent from my electronic trigger device using Tapatalk
Old January 6, 2013, 09:11 PM   #44
jimbob86

Quote:
The Judge and all of it's iteration are almost entirely worthless for anything outside of simple "public want" and Taurus has made a KILLING on them because they knew people wanted them.
Taurus created that "public want" with a disingenuous (but well funded and aggressive) marketing campaign including that blatantly misleading vid of the lady accosted in a parking garage laying waste to a bunch of overripe watermellons...... leading the general public to believe that the Judge was just the thing for personal defense and concealled carry......

They do understand the gullibility of the "low information gun buyer" perfectly, however.
Old January 6, 2013, 11:02 PM   #45
Sevens

Hey, I don't care for the thing either, but they *DO* make stuff people want to buy.

Pump .22 when nobody even thought of making one in the last handful of decades?
Ridiculous Mare's Leg thing?
Revolving carbine?
Old January 7, 2013, 07:37 AM   #46
jimbob86

Quote:
Ridiculous thing?
Mare's Leg=Poor Man's SBR.....
Old January 9, 2013, 01:50 AM   #47
Justice06RR

Looks exactly like the SR9/40, and its sexy.