The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 19, 2009, 04:38 PM   #1
myhres

Juvenile record question

I just learned recently after moving back to Washington that i had a fine from a juvenile offense i commited 12 years ago. It was a felony theft 2 charge, well i paid the fine and called a lawyer about getting it sealed off my record. I went all this time thinking juvenile records were sealed when you became 21, my ignorance. The lawyer mentioned that getting it sealed would not restore my firearm rights, which confused me as i have legally purchased firearms going through all the neccesary backgroud checks and it has never been a problem. Even though i have purchased firearms in AZ is it gonna be a problem only now that i moved to WA?
Old March 20, 2009, 07:21 PM   #2
myhres

Just wanted to add that the maximum sentance i could of recieved was 1 year.
Old March 23, 2009, 12:41 AM   #3
myhres

Wow! I thought somebody would have some insight on this for me, i have bought guns thought ffl dealers including walmart and others and nothing has ever come up to stop me from buying a firearm. Should i even be worried?
Old March 23, 2009, 08:58 AM   #4
USASA

I know it's frustrating to ask for input on a forum and get no responses.

But, your situation is one that really needs to be addressed by a competent attorney...if you can find one.

I wish I had an answer for you other than that. Good luck...
Old March 23, 2009, 09:08 AM   #5
MrNiceGuy

The best advise is to speak to an attorney.
I've found that the governments own incompetence means nothing.
If in fact you arent supposed to have a firearm, then the governments repeated oversights and mistakes wont mean a thing, you'll still be at fault in the eyes of the law and you'll be open to possible charges.

It's sad to think that a childhood mistake for which you have paid could cost you rights for a lifetime, but thus is our no common sense system. Whereas if you had not gotten caught for a few years and waited for the statute of limitations to run out, you could go public and become famous for your crimes with no negative side effects.

Last edited by MrNiceGuy; March 23, 2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old March 23, 2009, 06:42 PM   #6
myhres

I am in the process of talking with a attorney, and also found out the max sentence was only 60 days that i could have recieved and that is under the adult sentacing guidelines and this was a juvenile matter so i am sure the max was under that.
Old March 23, 2009, 06:46 PM   #7
cracked91

If the max sentence you could have recieved was 60 days than it was not an actual felony. A felony is a crime punishable by a minimum of one year in prison. Laws are hard to understand sometimes, I would talk to a lawyer
Old March 23, 2009, 07:20 PM   #8
shortwave

myhres, don`t despair about lack of response and don`t take it personnally. People here just reluctant(thankfully) to give legal advise on topic,thats all. Glad you`re talking to atty. Goodluck!
Old March 23, 2009, 07:42 PM   #9
publius

Definitely talk to another lawyer. I f you have cleared the nics check before I don't think you were convicted of a felony. I think a felony is over 1 year in jail.