The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 18, 2014, 02:41 PM   #26
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I like these jeans because they are more comfortable and I prefer the color. Does this look like an improvement over my original pics or should I go back to my old jeans?
Wear what ever you are comfortable with! The facts haven't changed. Other people aren't looking at your pockets!!!
Now if you take a large sausage, and stuff it down.............Never mind!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 18, 2014, 05:43 PM   #27
specs

I almost always wear Wrangler Relaxed Fit jeans and easily carry my Ruger KLCR, or my Ruger LC9. In earlier years I carried a Bersa 380CC, and later a KT PF9, also without problems. Never been asked about my pocket junk, but if I was, I would say "pocket junk", why do you ask? And to follow up it would be MYOB.
Old March 18, 2014, 05:54 PM   #28
veamon

I carry either a Taurus 651 .357, or a Ruger LCP in a Versacarry holster. Probably the most minimal out there, and frees up your pockets.

This is my 380

And here is my Taurus

You might want to try those, they're only about $25 from versacarry.com, and a few dollars cheaper on Amazon.
Old March 18, 2014, 05:57 PM   #29
PawPaw

Quote:
No one looks at your pockets. No. One.
This, +100. In this day and age, very few people even look up. They've got their faces glued to their cell phones AND people have become so used to seeing cell phone cases on belts that even if you go open-carry 99% of folks wouldn't notice.

Last year we were working on the land, and I had to go to Wal-Mart to pick up something. I forgot I was strapped and walked into the store with a 7.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk on my belt. No one said a word. I didn't remember I was carrying until I was in the checkout line, and couldn't believe that no one even seemed to notice.

No one is going to notice that bulge in your pocket. Trust me. Most people are oblivious.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old March 18, 2014, 07:59 PM   #30
gus3836

As Mae West would say " Is that a Gun in your pocket or you just happy to see me" Sorry could not help it with all the looking at my pocket. I have found it very slow to draw from a jeans pocket YMMV. But you need to follow the same directions it takes to get to Carnege Hall Practice practice practice.
Old March 26, 2014, 09:08 PM   #31
MR.G

I have been carrying a gun in my front pocket for years. If someone is staring at the front of your pants it probably is not a gun issue.
Old March 26, 2014, 09:30 PM   #32
JERRYS.

the Mika is a good product for the price, but yeah, you look like you stole the Gideon's bible from motel 6.
Old April 2, 2014, 01:54 PM   #33
Yung.gunr

I pocket carried a Taurus TCP for years and was nervous people would notice. No one EVER does. Even when I take it out or put it in when I get in/out of the car no one notices because it is black and the holster is black so people think its a phone or tablet. Even when I wear loose basketball shorts people don't notice. The holster really breaks up the outline. I went with a rectangular shaped nylon KNJ holster for that reason.

I have gone to a IWB carry with a larger gun though. I never liked having to take the gun out when I got in the car and put it back in my pocket when I got out. Accidents happen with too much handling. But, it is near to impossible to draw from a pocket while seated with a seatbelt on.
Old April 3, 2014, 01:00 PM   #34
Skans

Quote:
But, it is near to impossible to draw from a pocket while seated with a seatbelt on.
Even without a seatbelt, don't bother drawing while seated - I've tried to practice this under pressure - I come up "dead" every time.
Old April 3, 2014, 01:17 PM   #35
JERRYS.

there is a simple fix to pocket carry access. wear an appendix IWB for the same gun. you transition as needed.

of course this doesn't work well for a tucked in shirt so this option will work with ankle carry for the same gun, you transition as needed.

and if youre one of the very few who tuck in their shirt and wear shorts at the same time, I don't know what to tell you.
Old April 4, 2014, 07:36 AM   #36
Skans

Quote:
and if youre one of the very few who tuck in their shirt and wear shorts at the same time, I don't know what to tell you.
Yep - that's me! And, a belt. The solution is cargo shorts - outer pocket with velcro flap works good. But, tucked in shirt and dress slacks - there isn't a perfect solution. But, there are solutions - you just have to work around the fact that you can't draw from a pocked while seated. So, if you are threatened while seated, you need to get unseated, if you pocket carry. The next time you are eating lunch at Wendy's while pocket carrying, think about what you would do if two thugs stormed through one of the doors with guns. If you do this mental exercise, you will see that there are many options to simply sitting there and struggling to get your gun out of your pocket.
Old April 4, 2014, 11:12 AM   #37
bikerbill

It's hard to totally hide a gun-sized object in the front pocket of jeans, but a revolver is harder to hide than a flat auto, which is why my EDC is a Kahr PM9 which fits perfectly in the slash pocket of cargo shorts. If I'm wearing jeans, the PM9 is in a belt or paddle holster, and I find something to cover it with. That said, the next time you're in the market or mall, take a look at the pockets of those you pass (without making it so obvious you get busted for being a pervert). People carry all kinds of junk in pockets, from bulky cellphones to bunches of keys on a ring to the sandwich they forgot to eat three days ago. Identifying what the object is is almost impossible, and aside from you on this mission, nobody is looking at your pocket anyhow. Relax. I've had my plastic for 10 years and after the first month or two, you'll forget you ever worried.
Old April 5, 2014, 08:59 AM   #38
Andy Blozinski

That Thunderwear looks pretty interesting. Kind of like a fanny pack for concealed carry. I've been using a shoulder rig for years because having something hang off your belt creates a host of problems. This kind of takes care of that. The only thing that bugs me is that it is only designed to be worn directly up front.
Old April 5, 2014, 10:50 AM   #39
Khromo

k.

Last edited by Khromo; April 6, 2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old April 5, 2014, 12:30 PM   #40
Skans

Quote:
You should concern yourself with the folks who do care and do look.
Not sure why. I'm not going to worry about whether a cop knows I'm carrying. I'm also not sure its a bad idea if a criminal knows people around him are carrying too.
Old April 5, 2014, 01:05 PM   #41
Khromo

e.

Last edited by Khromo; April 6, 2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old April 5, 2014, 11:23 PM   #42
Cheapshooter

1. I really don't care if a cop knows I am carrying. Even if he doesn't like it, I have the proper permit, and there is nothing he can do about it.
I'll keep it simple, but recently there was a cop that took extreme measures when a person she pulled over on a traffic stop advised her as a courtesy that he had a permit, and was armed. Even though informing a police officer is not required in my state. I won't go in to details, but the bottom line is she is no longer a cop!
2. Maybe a TV drama type professional criminal checks people's pockets for signs of concealed carry, but the common street thug just isn't that smart.
3. The biggest concern of your CCW being detected is by the busy-body, do gooder who might freak out. Especially if they are of the uneducated, anti-gun type. But that's also the ones most likely to never look.
Old April 5, 2014, 11:38 PM   #43
wayneinFL

Khromo, the crazy people you're talking about are going to be disappointed when they find out that the other 20 people they attacked just had keys in their pockets.

And what's your fixation with people's pockets, anyway? Aren't you aware that some people carry on a belt? How is it that you notice guns in everyone's pockets, but can't spot a gun anywhere else?

Quote:
It's hard to totally hide a gun-sized object in the front pocket of jeans, but a revolver is harder to hide than a flat auto...
I disagree. If an auto prints, it looks like a gun. I've seen semi-autos that printed so bad in a pocket, you could almost read the name on the slide. Revolvers usually just look like a big lump.
Old April 6, 2014, 10:34 AM   #44
Khromo

!!

Last edited by Khromo; April 6, 2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old April 6, 2014, 11:31 AM   #45
Cheapshooter

Unless your "good" LEO's, and "clever" criminals have X-Ray vision, in today's world of cell phones, remote start key fobs, and who knows what other devices are carried in pockets, they will be too busy "detecting" everybody in the place as having a concealed weapon to know who really does.
Quote:
What do you think cops think when they see that bulge? Bear in mind, a small majority of cops, especially the older ones, believe there are only two kinds of people in the world: other cops, and criminals.
Kinda, maybe says it all about your comments.

Quote:
Tactical Internet Patriot/Warrior.
Quote:
your amateurishly concealed weapon
Many of them also think that they are the only people that have the right to carry a firearm for self defense!
Like the one I mentioned in an earlier post. I think that was one of her quotes resulting in her no longer being a LEO.
Old April 6, 2014, 11:48 AM   #46
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

I suggest that folks tone it down a bit. Clever quips and implied superiority of your tactical superguru-ness is inappropriate. Get the point.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old April 6, 2014, 02:54 PM   #47
Cheapshooter

Possibly instead of comments about peoples "amateurish" carry method, some advise on how to accomplish deep concealment from a former LEO might be more in line with the subject.
Old April 6, 2014, 07:25 PM   #48
ritepath

For me it's not about the lumps protruding from inside the pocket but that huge cylinder of my 642 if I try and pocket carry it. For jeans I can't even stuff my LCP in my pocket comfortably.

I can tolerate it with cargo pants and cargo shorts. If I'm wearing jeans I'll just clip a little fobus holster on one side and my cellphone on the other. With an untucked shirt it disappears and it's easy to get to.

For my 642 I like my bulldog J frame holster.
Old April 6, 2014, 11:33 PM   #49
wayneinFL

Sorry, didn't mean to antagonize anyone. Looking back at my post, I was trying to make a point, but maybe was a little abrasive.

I'm traveling as usual. I have my car keys, my work keys, two rental car keys and two remotes for a rental in my left pocket, along with a laser distance measure in my left pocket. I have a S&W 642 in my right pocket. I'm going to have a bulge, and honestly the bigger one right now is the one with the keys.

I'm sure a cop on a traffic stop is looking for any bulge and checking it out. I don't think someone is going to try to attack me for a bulge in my pocket. and if they are, there are a lot more bulges to catch their attention. I'm thinking they're more likely to target me for having a laptop or something.
Old April 7, 2014, 02:44 AM   #50
Sabrewolfe

For the OP, as others have stated, you are good to go as far as standing concealment, especially with the new jeans. The main things at this point is making sure you are able to sit comfortably without printing overly and that you can smoothly draw your weapon. Personally, I've never been able to manage pocket carry with jeans (Wrangler cargo pants and Dockers FtW!), but YMMV.

Now, regarding the person who suggested the VersaCarry as a viable carry option, for the love of cute, cuddly corgi puppies, ignore them: they are cleary insane. I will grant that these monstrosities are a marginal improvement over Mexican carry, but that's not really saying much. Their "trigger guard" is woefully inadequate (i.e. worthless) and, more importantly, you have no way to reholster your weapon after a DGU. Which means you either have to keep holding your gun (and risk getting shot by the cops when they show up) or set it on the ground where you no longer have direct control over it. The VersaCarry is easily among the top 5 worst "holsters" in the history of handguns.