The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 21, 2011, 09:59 AM   #1
plumbercrack

Home based FFL in Las Vegas

Does anybody have any info on Las Vegas's laws for obtaining a home based FFL? I actually live in unincorporated Clark County, outside city limits, with a Las Vegas address and have got mixed answers
Old October 21, 2011, 10:04 AM   #2
Don P

If the county will allow you to have, run a business in your home then there will not be a problem from the ATF. Here where I am the county said no to foot traffic and to deliveries and shipments from the home. Best to check with the county zoning office as to what they do and do not allow. The ATF WILL CHECK to see if its legal for you to have a business at home and you can count on that.

After rereading your post you MUST HAVE a physical address NO PO BOX'S
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 25, 2011, 09:31 PM   #3
AlanS

I live in Las Vegas and have looked into this a bit. As Don P said you need to check about zoning, the county may not allow a home-based firearms business where you are located, in which case you will need to get a variance or zoning change. The ATF does require (I believe) that there be an actual business, with regular hours (the definition of 'regular' is up to debate) posted. This will likely mean that you will need a state business license, tax ID, and county business license. That should be everything you need regarding state and county regulations, but remember that the ATF has their own regulations and WILL check on your "business space" before granting the FFL.

Hope that helps,
Alan
Old October 26, 2011, 06:35 AM   #4
Don P

As Alans stated all is true except the regular business hours. Friend in PA has a FFL 01 and is a gunsmith working out of his home and occasionally will sell or order firearms for customers. No problem not having regular business hours. Again as Alan stated all the permits, licenses, tax goodies have to be in order. It all boils down to what the county you live in will allow you to do out of your home as far as a business is concerned.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 26, 2011, 04:13 PM   #5
AlanS

Don P, the hours thing is surprising. Last time I looked into it the ATF clearly stated that you had to have business hours listed. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean you have to keep those hours, as any business can technically change its hours for whatever reason. Anyway thanks for the info.