The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 1, 2007, 05:40 PM   #1
Yellowfin

Trying on holsters?

I'm about to start shopping for a nice holster for daily carry. Do many (or any) stores let you try them on so you can see if they fit well for you and avoid printing, snagging, and being uncomfortable? I'm a pretty skinny guy so something fitting me right is imperative. Most likely going for a shoulder holster so I don't have to keep my shirt untucked all the time, much rather would wear a vest or jacket instead. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Old November 1, 2007, 10:28 PM   #2
sholling

Thought 1: You didn't give us any idea what you want to carry or how much you're willing to spend.

Thought 2: Almost everyone has a drawer or box full of disappointments. The holsters that just didn't work or were uncomfortable. Plan on building your own collection.

Thought 3: All the best holsters cost a small fortune and take forever to get. Milt Sparks for example has a 6 month lead time.

Thought 4: What happens if it gets hot and you want to take your coat off?

Those are my thoughts.
Old November 3, 2007, 10:01 PM   #3
parrothead2581

Well, to answer your question, yes. The shops I frequent have no problem letting people try them on, and have even encouraged it. If they don't allow it, go somewhere else.
Old November 4, 2007, 12:50 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

If you are just beginning to carry my first suggestion is to buy a good gun belt. A thick good belt will help support your gun. The second thing is good leather holster. In my opinion, IWB is the most concealable type of carry. When I first started, I went IWB almost exclusively. My mode of choice now is OWB but I feel it is slightly more obvious to the observer.

If your shop doesn't allow you to try it out prior, shop else where. Keep in mind though, a few minutes in the shop does compare to carrying it daily for a week. That's when you'll really know if that holster works for you.
Old November 4, 2007, 01:53 PM   #5
tony pasley

Before anything else get you a box about 36"x36"x18" for all the holsters that felt good in the store but just didn't make it. The leather that starts to sag. The Nylon of all types, plastic of all types. Then the belt, now your ready to start to find your holsterS, You will find your basic carry holster, but then it just doesn't work for ever mode of dress. Happy hunting, and expect to spend some money you will get what you pay for.
Old November 4, 2007, 04:31 PM   #6
gvf

I have enough holsters for 10 guns - i have 4 however.

But i got many on ebay, so the cost of experimenting wasn't ridiculous. That said, if I knew of a store that let me try them first I would have gone there. Gander Mtn did for some, but some are sealed also, or ones I wanted to try they didn't have. Check ebay before you buy a brand new one unless you're sure in advance.
Old November 4, 2007, 06:06 PM   #7
Yellowfin

Ah, to be more specific I am going to be carrying an Astra A-75, which is a single stack small Sig look-alike, 3 1/2 inch barrel. Closest dimensions I've found is the Sig 239. It's getting colder here now, and I guess I probably will want an IWB and shoulder. I can wear thin jackets and vests which I wouldn't forseeably need to take off while inside; I don't get hot easily.