The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 6, 2001, 11:27 AM   #1
Brian Williams

short slug loads

I saw some short slugs loads at a local shop they were about 1.5 inches long. how do the function in a pump or auto loader. are they too short to run the action, do they have a tendency to stove pipe?????

would they work for hd? are they for hunting...
Old November 6, 2001, 01:09 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

Aguila Minishells.

Dillon says they function flawlessly in Winchester 1300 series guns. Mossies n Remington may need minor modification.

They won't normally cycle an auto. Some pumps are ok with em and a lot aren't. Practically have to try em to see how they feed in your gun. I have a Higgens that feeds em just fine. Holds eight in the stock tube. My gun gets small pie plate hole in car door at 50yds with all eight rapid fire. Recoil mild but performance seems good.

Sam
Old November 6, 2001, 03:57 PM   #3
PreserveFreedom

Quote:
would they work for hd? are they for hunting...
They were designed with law enforcement in mind so I would say home defense is a practical application once you achieve reliable feeding. They also make buckshot that has #1 buck and #4 buck mixed, as well as some 1½" game loads.

Old November 7, 2001, 09:48 AM   #4
Jager1

A novel idea that fails in practice in most instances.

I purchased a box to try in my home defense 870's. I hoped they could reduce recoil in order for my female companion to wield it better.

They would not feed reliably (as advertised - so who is complaining?). Also, they were difficult to extract. Accuracy was acceptable, but nothing to write home about.

I considered using one in the chamber followed by more traditional rounds after feed reliability was determined to be extremely poor. The extraction problem had me give up that idea quickly.
Old November 8, 2001, 02:16 AM   #5
DML

There is a pump shotgun made just for these 1 1.2" shells. Unfortunately, it's made in Turkey and looks like Mossberg with a genetic problem. The quality on the ones I saw wasn't very good. I guess it would go bang though.

I tried the shells is a Mossberg 500USA (590) and a Remington 870. They worked most of the time in the Mossberg, but not at all in the 870. The Remington shell lifter drops away before the short shell is chambered.

I also had extraction problems with the slug load. The bird shot shells worked OK.
Old November 11, 2001, 12:55 AM   #6
Gopher

They work fine in my Ithaca 37 DSPS. Good groups and almost no recoil. I havent tried the 7 1/2 birdshot rounds but they should work well also.
Old November 12, 2001, 07:41 PM   #7
CWL

They wouldn't work in my Rem 870 Marine Mag. either.