The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 27, 2009, 12:06 AM   #1
ar15man2009

bullet casting equipment

i got a few replies from the other thread but i would still like more info about bullet casting and the specific equipment to use.iu plan on buying it soon and i want to know exactly what i will need to be able to load accurate bullets in medium quantities.a few hours a week maybe a little more when i have time.i dont want a super elaborate set up just the basics.it looks like i need the following will anybody correct me if i need to add or leave out anything:

some type of heat source to melt the lead down
the correct mold
lubricant
a latle to stir and pour if necessary
and the protective wear
and some way to size the bullets afterwards.like the lee sizer die and luber

thanks
Old February 27, 2009, 05:26 AM   #2
Spur0701

You should really spend some time over at http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

For getting ingots from wheel weights (WW) you'll need a heat source (turkey fryer), cast iron pot, long handled spoon, ladle (a professional Rockwell bottom pour one makes life easy but is not required), muffin pan (as an ingot mold), and some gloves and eye protection.

For casting your bullets (I suggest starting with pistol) you'll need a pot (Lee bottom pour pot), molds (Lee are cheapest and work well, .45 or .38 would be good to start with), lube (tumble lube with Johnson Paste Wax (JPW)), a bowl (to lube in), a sizer (if needed, Lees are about $10 per size I think, depending on alloy and mold sizing may not be needed), gloves and eye protection.

Some other random thoughts on lessons I learned, I've only been casting six months or so:

I wouldn't put raw WW in my casting pot, make ingots first, do a 5 gallon bucket at a time, only use clip on WW.

I would stick with pistols first, that way you can get some expirence without having to worry about gas checks, hardening, and sizing as much.

I would research which bullet I wanted based on what I'm going to reload before buying molds, the reviews at Midway are somewhat helpful, look at the best selling molds, with the most stars, read the reviews then double check that info at Cast Boolits.

Lee 6 banger molds are less than $40, and really give you a lot of production capability, especially if you use two of them (I've cast a couple of thousand 230 g RN already) but require some home modifications to make them really "bullet proof" (drilling and taping a couple of holes for set screws and bearing surfaces, instructions are at Cast Boolits).

I would tumble lube only to begin with and wouldn't use Lee Liquid Alox.(too messy).

Cast hot (>800), you get better fill out, plus I think frosted bullets are pretty.......but be patient and let the mold cool before droping the boolits, or better yet, use two molds.....

Anyone else?
Old February 27, 2009, 10:18 AM   #3
CrustyFN

This is what I use to smelt the weights into ingots. I around $100 in this part.
The burner is a Bayou Classic 185,000 BTU and cost around $45 on-line. The Dutch Oven is from Harbor Freight and cost $12. The rectangular molds I made at work from scrap for free and my wife bought me the muffin pans. The tank is off the BBQ and willsmelt close to 1,000 pounds when full. The one gallon can I got from the cafe at work and that's where I put the clips when they get scooped out.

The thermometer is great to have because if you keep the pot around 700 degrees you can throw in everything in and just scoop out the zinc with the clips. The 20" slottet spoon is for scooping clips. The 24" solid spoon is for skimming the dross off the top. The plyers make it easy to put the lid on and off. The ladle is for pouring the ingots. The only other thing you will need is something to flux with. I use old candles but you can also use saw dust and a lot of other stuff.

This is what they look like done. The bars are around 8 pounds and the muffins around 3 pounds.

All you should need to cast after this is a pot, mold and handles. I use a Lee bottom pour pot. They are cheap and work great. I have been using a 10 pound pot and just bought a 20 pound pot. I would recommend the 20 pound pot. I had trouble getting some of the ingots to fit in the 10 pound pot.

Rusty