The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 7, 2011, 05:54 PM   #1
Rustle in the Bushes

Is $500 too much for a k31?

What do you think?

I'm either gonna buy a $500 one from a store here or a $250 k31 online. The online ones are rated as having very good bores but beat up (normal for k31) stocks. The one in store looks pretty good, beech stock.

What would you guys do? Its literally twice the price, that could be brass money!
Old June 7, 2011, 06:22 PM   #2
NYPD13

Picked up my beech stocked K31 for $180 about three years ago. You can currently pick up one for roughly $200 online or pay a few dollars more for a walnut stock. For $500 it should be all matching with original bayonet and sling or have a scope mounted. I would grab one online, these Swiss rifles weren't beat up that badly to be of any concern.
Old June 7, 2011, 06:23 PM   #3
zfk55

Twice too much unless its a choice rifle from Simpsons. That would probably be worth it. They choose cherries when asked.

Latigo

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old June 7, 2011, 06:23 PM   #4
the rifleer

Do not pay $500. Unless there is something special about it, it is not worth that. I can't see paying more than $300 or so for a k31.
Old June 7, 2011, 06:25 PM   #5
ohen cepel

I like to buy local, and will pay a bit more to do so. However, that is real high unless there is something very special about the rifle.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old June 7, 2011, 09:18 PM   #6
Rustle in the Bushes

"I like to buy local, and will pay a bit more to do so. However, that is real high unless there is something very special about the rifle."

Hahahah I just walked in and asked them about the gun. Theres a leather sling on it, thats it. Stock was in pretty good condition, but wow. This place is !surprise! known to be a bit of a rip off.
Old June 7, 2011, 09:32 PM   #7
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Rip off.

And I wouldn't pay $100 for one from Simpson's, either...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old June 8, 2011, 12:15 AM   #8
leadcounsel

They wholesale for $200-300 in VG condition with no accessories.
Old June 8, 2011, 01:08 AM   #9
Rustle in the Bushes

i wish i could find a great one for 200-300 dollars. The 500 dollar ones do seem to look nicer (stock isnt dinged).

When I order the rifle its going to come to $300 shipped. So i have to decide whether or not its worth $200 more to walk into a store and pick the rifle. hmmm...

Im surprised to see a couple $500 rifles on the EE as well!! is this a trend? Ahh well.....
Old June 8, 2011, 06:33 AM   #10
madcratebuilder

Quote:
When I order the rifle its going to come to $300 shipped. So i have to decide whether or not its worth $200 more to walk into a store and pick the rifle. hmmm..
If the stock is a nice one then buy it. The $250-300 rifles well have a lot of dings on the butt end. They well clean up and refinish pretty nice but if you start with a nice one to begin with it well refinish really nice. I'd offer $400 and see what happens.

I've never paid to much for a gun, just bought them to soon.
Old June 8, 2011, 07:57 AM   #11
jsmaye

Quote:
I've never paid to much for a gun, just bought them to soon.
Or too late...
Old June 8, 2011, 10:06 AM   #12
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I have the walnut stock, very, very few dings along with sharp lands in the rifling, etc. and only paid $200 a couple of years ago. I still think it's a rip-off. Beech stocks are nice and all. But I really think you can find one in nearly nice of shape for much less...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old June 8, 2011, 05:27 PM   #13
zombieslayer

A local vendor at gunshows has some K31's that look BRAND NEW with matching bayo, sling, soldier's tag, muzzle guard, all the goodies and they go for $450 out the door. You can get one for $400 if you go on Sunday instead of saturday. Prices always drop the second day of a gunshow.
Old June 8, 2011, 06:38 PM   #14
zfk55

If they look brand new, beware! There are no un-issued k31s and the factual brand new ones from Haemmerli are an easy $1,200.00 plus.
If there's a matching bayonette it's a refinished k31 for sure.
Check the serial numbers before buying! http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/schmidt_rubin.html

Latigo

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old June 9, 2011, 05:57 PM   #15
zombieslayer

I'm not sure I follow. What's bad about a like-new K31 for around $400? aren't/werent the matching bayonets hard to come by? I've never owned one befor but hold them in very high regard, and would like some more info regarding your warning, as I know very little about these old rifles.
Old June 9, 2011, 06:19 PM   #16
zfk55

Refinishing a k31 to appear new or as un-issued is a common scam. Its done both here and in Europe with even Swiss individuals involved in scamming.
Eager Americans really do appreciate these great rifles and are willing to pay a premium if they believe the rifle to be next to new or un-issued.
Research the serial numbers before you jump into one of these deals. Its easy to do and tells the tale in minutes.

Latigo

Old June 10, 2011, 08:45 AM   #17
madcratebuilder

Here's a nice refinish with a lot of extras.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=234188589

Several other K's on Gunbroker that look like they well go for around $200
Old June 10, 2011, 09:16 AM   #18
zfk55

That muzzle brake and bipod adaptor came from us. The brake is a clamp-on type and there's been no change to the original rifle at all. The extras are worth about $118.00
Nicely refinished.

Latigo

Old June 10, 2011, 10:26 AM   #19
zombieslayer

I'm still not sure how around $400 is a bad deal for a new looking K31 with matching bayo. If these people are scammers, it seems like refinishing the gun and charging $100 is scamming themselves. That GB auction is for $515 minimum bid.
Old June 10, 2011, 08:16 PM   #20
cracked butt

$500 for a refinished k-31 is way too much- refinishing detracts from the value, never adds to it.
With all of the add-ons, it would probably be a decent deal if the rifle was unrefinished and in average condition.
Old June 11, 2011, 10:22 PM   #21
MEATSAW

There are a BUNCH of great looking K31s at Simpsons right now and they are priced well enough. I am having a hard time picking the one I will buy when they open up Tuesday morning. Having so many to choose from is a blessing but I can't make up my mind!
Old June 14, 2011, 08:47 AM   #22
bumnote

$500 is about $100 too high. I bought an arsenal refurbish in January for something like $350 from Simspons. 98% finish ans stocks that are in great shape for a surplus rifle...not just for a K31. Shoots just like they say the do, smooth action, tight groups...extremely well made gun. My experience w/ Simpson's has been very good, the 3 guns I've bought from them actually looked much better in person that they did in online pics.
These days I think $250 is probably about the lowest you'll find them now, I'm sure it possible to find one for less but these rifle do seem to be a little popular these days. I plan on buying another this year...probably from J&G.