The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 1, 2014, 01:39 AM   #1
TennJed

Picture request. Taurus 454 snubnose

Does anyone have a Taurus 454 Casull 2.25" ? If so how do you like it. How long have you had it and roughly how many rounds has it seen

And the main reason I started this thread. Do you have any pics of it next to a "traditional" snubby? I am curious as to how much bigger it is compared to a average 38 or 357 snub.

Really any comparison pics would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old February 2, 2014, 02:23 AM   #2
jason_iowa

I don't mind Taurus revolvers. I have a couple and have gotten them for friends and family and have had very few issues. However if I were going to get a 454 snub I would go with the Ruger Alaskan. I don't know what the price difference is but I would pay it. I would guess its going to be at least 50% heavier then the 357 snub and they are much more bulky. The Ruger is anyway. I have never seen the Taurus version.
Old February 2, 2014, 03:48 AM   #3
Pond, James Pond

I own neither but I found these images through google. The first is from our very own TFL and a thread started in 2011. If you scroll down, you'll first see a 454 Alaskan, then there is a picture of a .44Mag Alaskan next to an SP101.

The 454 appears to be bigger than the .44 version which in turn is quite a bit bigger than the SP101 which in turn is a fairly beefy gun by snub standards.

Finally I have found an image in post #6 of a Rugerforum thread showing an Alaskan alongside an LCR. Again you can see the Alaskan is significanly bigger. I imagine the Taurus would be a similar size although something tells me it is a 5 shot, not an Alaskan 6 shot, so a bit slimmer perhaps?

For what it is worth, I too would probably go for the Ruger over the Taurus, but that is down to you, so if you want the Taurus, good luck to you!!
Old February 2, 2014, 12:58 PM   #4
TennJed

Thanks pond. The Alaskan would be may first choice if I get one and can find it. I have several Ruger revolvers. They are hard to find. The Taurus is pretty easy to find
Old February 2, 2014, 04:40 PM   #5
Roughedge

Someone had a 454 on a forum a while back but I dont remember where. I just got a 44mag Alaskan and it weighs around 2 1/2 pounds empty. It feels good in my hand but I havent shot it yet.
Old February 2, 2014, 06:14 PM   #6
badge851

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Old February 3, 2014, 08:38 AM   #7
feets

How's this for a pic?

Sorry. I'm feeling a bit opinionated today.

A Taurus is a gun you get because:
A) you don't care
B) you don't plan on keeping it
C) you're simply not serious
D) you can't afford a real gun
C)
Old February 3, 2014, 10:14 AM   #8
aarmel732

^ obvious troll is obvious
Old February 3, 2014, 11:10 AM   #9
towboat-er

Maybe so. But that is a cool old trash can. They don't build em like that anymore.
Old February 3, 2014, 11:38 AM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

The Raging frame is pretty big & heavy, with double lock up, as seen in the picture above... though it's not as heavy as my Alaskan ( my Raging is a Hornet, that I used for a custom build... frame is big enough to hold an 8 shot 22 Hornet cylinder... so I'd assume it is a 6 shot 454 ) my Alaskan is a 6 shot 454 ( I think they had some 5 shot cylinders, as I think I remember hearing about some cylinder issue on early models, before Ruger switched to new steel )
Old February 5, 2014, 04:28 AM   #11
Venom1956

give it a really good inspection before taking it home any QC issues with that caliber will be... memorable.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 5, 2014, 05:55 AM   #12
Leejack

Are the moderators going to allow that trash can post?

If so, I respectfully request reevaluating the forum rules.
Old February 6, 2014, 10:48 AM   #13
tulsamal

If you are going to get an Alaskan… I really think you are better off with a .480 compared to a .454. The smaller diameter and higher pressure round really needs a longer barrel. The .480 is happy in my Alaskan. Now that Ruger is making them again… pick one up!

Gregg
Old February 6, 2014, 10:52 AM   #14
Magnum Wheel Man

a .480 Alaskan is one of the few guns on my "buy this year" list...
Old February 6, 2014, 10:59 AM   #15
tulsamal

The .480 Ruger really is a great gun. Serious handful of stainless steel. Big hole. I can actually put the tip of my left pinkie into the front of the barrel. Intimidating. Talk about putting in a big enough hole to let the blood out!

People that come visit me always want to shoot it. And they usually flinch like crazy on the first shot. Even the experienced ones. But then they look surprised because the recoil isn't bad at all. The visitors then fire off the rest of the cylinder, turn around… and demand more!

Mine is from the first run and I had to search for it. I really should buy another one for a spare because my gun collection wouldn't be the same without it. Heck, I would carry it on my belt under a heavy coat in the winter or in my truck, except for one thing. Since it is "larger than .45 caliber," it is illegal to carry in Oklahoma! Don't know what ill informed politician put that line into the CCW law but there it is!

Gregg
Old February 6, 2014, 11:30 AM   #16
Magnum Wheel Man

I have a 454 Alaskan, & agree the muzzle blast is more intimidating that the actual recoil out of a heavy snubby like the Alaskan... add to that the porting found on the Tauri snubbie, & that thing would be a concussion monster...

it would be nice if Ruger chambered the Alaskan to fit the longer Linebaugh cartridge for use when you wanted, but the 480 to me is like the 44 special... a much more useable cartridge for daily use & enjoyment than the Linebaugh magnum
Old February 8, 2014, 10:33 AM   #17
great scot

For what it's worth

The main character in The Purge uses a Taurus 454 snubby. That might help give you some sense of the guns dimensions. Hope this helps.
Old February 8, 2014, 10:40 AM   #18
great scot

Picture from The Purge

Fyi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (44.5 KB, 22 views)
Old February 8, 2014, 08:50 PM   #19
oldcabin

The trash can looks like the one hickok45 has on his range. Hah...