The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 9, 2012, 08:54 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Die Boxes...

what do you guys use to put your dies in ???

I like the original boxes, they fit nice on my shelf ( I reload over 75 different calibers ) & I like to keep them organized by caliber, but I have some calibers that I've added a file trim die, & or a Lee factory crimp die, where the 5 dies don't fit into the standard box... several of my calibers also have extended shell holders, for the file trim dies, & I like to keep a shell holder with each die set, rather than having to figure out which number I need from a master set...

... I also have 5-6 custom sets of dies that never came with a box, & a couple sets that are in the cylinder style plastic container...

Ideally I'd like to find a couple plastic boxes that are similar to the length & width of a standard die box, but thicker to allow the extra parts

so what do you guys use to keep your dies organized??? anyone know where to get a plastic box that would fit my needs???
Old May 9, 2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

may have answered my own question... butt

started looking for plastic boxes about that size, & those "Glad" plastic storage boxes, come in sandwich size & deeper in the same length & width... that may be OK for me...

anyway... what do you guys do ???
Old May 9, 2012, 09:19 AM   #3
moxie

I don't think that very many of us relaod the number of calibers that you do; nor, do we have so many specialty dies. Amazing! Therefore we don't have the organizational problem you do. You are rare if not unique.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old May 9, 2012, 10:41 AM   #4
spclPatrolGroup

Some die boxes dont like the hornady lock and load bushings I have installed on my dies, or like you said, the addition of a seperate factory crimp die. I have done what was suggested, cheap plastic sandwich box labled with a sharpie, they stack nicely together and they are big enough for me to put a small bag of sillica in there as well to keep them from from rusting.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Kayser

I built this:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461320

I'm really glad I did. It helps considerably.
Old May 9, 2012, 12:42 PM   #6
griz

Most I keep in the boxes they came in but I got an MTM die box for the commonly used dies. Then I got a progressive so now I keep the commonly used dies in their die plates.
Old May 9, 2012, 08:09 PM   #7
dickttx

I like these. You can keep just about anything you need relating to a caliber all together. You would need a whole wall for the shelves though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010154.jpg (136.0 KB, 86 views)
Old May 10, 2012, 06:52 PM   #8
Ca Lunker

Die storage

After reading this post it got me to thinking how to better store my dies. I use the Lock-n-load bushings so it makes if difficult to store in the original containers. And if I added a Lee FCD to a die set I needed a way to keep the dies together. Tonight I modified coffee can to use a storeage container.

Old May 10, 2012, 08:29 PM   #9
dickttx

Your shellholder will sit in the top of your powder drop/expander die also.
Your die instructions, load data (printed from the internet), etc will also fit around the sides of the coffee can. They are semi-air tight and pretty dust proof. Black markers will also write on them.
Old May 10, 2012, 08:41 PM   #10
Uncle Buck

I use those clear, or semi clear, pencil cases the kids use to take to school. I can put a few dies, the parts for them and the shell holders in them.

Although I load for no-where near the number of calibers you do, I do have several dies for certain calibers. If I find them cheap, I will buy them. That way if I ever have a stuck case, I can put another die in and keep reloading and deal with the case later. Parts are another thing I can store in the boxes.
Old May 10, 2012, 08:41 PM   #11
Edward429451

RCBS and Dillon both sell empty die boxes for a few bucks. I like to keep a shellholder with each set, and anything else that is caliber specific like FCDs, M dies, and even sizing dies.
Old May 11, 2012, 09:22 PM   #12
Romeo 33 Delta

I use Plano #345046 Utility storage boxes (8-1/4" X 4-1/4" X 1-3/8").

I often trim away the first two or three seperators (Dremel tool, followed by a VERY sharp wood chisle to clean up what's left ) then I can store some dies lengthwise when they are otherwise too long.

They stack great and when I go to reload a caliber, I just grab the box ... everything's there, dies, shellholders, case length gauge, dummy cartridges.

I can't seem to post a picture because it keeps telling me that I'm exceeding the file limits whenever I try to pull one out of my files and post it.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:25 AM   #13
Marco Califo

Hornady Die Box Large

Hornady Die Box Large $5 at Midway when not on sale.
They hold 4 dies plus shell holder.
I bought one for each caliber to replace Lee's round OEM boxes which really [suct-ion]. RCBS (dies and gadgets like the collet puller) come in good boxes.
The great thing about the Hornady boxes is you can fit everything you need for a caliber, plus small parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 154430.jpg (38.0 KB, 65 views)
Old May 13, 2012, 06:23 PM   #14
bgdv1

RCBS grey boxes for carbide pistol and green boxes for rifle. i use my label maker to label what caliber and 2-3 die. ive aquired a few random sets of dies from my father in law that had no boxes. placed an order thru midway usa and took care of that.
Old May 20, 2012, 06:44 PM   #15
Romeo 33 Delta

I think I finally got this picture posting figured out ...

#1 ... Here's the Plano #3450 6 compartment plastic storage box I use.

#2 ... I use a Dremel tool to cut away 3 of the dividers and finish up with a VERY sharp wood chisel to clean up the "ribs" that are left.

#3 ... You can see that there is ample room for all you dies and shellholders, dummy cartridges, sample bullets, and other items.

#4 ... And they really stack nicely! When I need to load for a caliber, I just grab the appropriate box and everything I need is right there ... just add the brass, bullets, primers and powder!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 205.jpg (235.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 206.jpg (240.8 KB, 59 views)
Old May 20, 2012, 06:50 PM   #16
Romeo 33 Delta

Can't post the last 2 pics because even with my camera set at 640 x 480 it's over the limit (didn't work at 1024 x 768 either). Is there some other setting I should use? How about 2048 x 1536?
Old May 20, 2012, 08:04 PM   #17
Marco Califo

Try Cropping

You can open the image using Paint (Start, All Programs, Accessories, Paint).

You use the "crop" feature to include only the most needed part of the image. The rest is trimmed out. Then Save. Important!: Remeber to Save AS .jpg format!

I did look at your photos, I still prefer the Hornady boxes as the "rails" are fit to standard die specs.
Old May 20, 2012, 09:45 PM   #18
Romeo 33 Delta

Thanks, Marco ... I'll play with it. The camera's a nice, little Nikon Coolpix ... just can't make it work here at TFL.
Old May 21, 2012, 06:35 AM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

I have a small sliding drawer parts cabinet that I got from Home Depot. Has more than enough drawers for my dies.

I keep the shell holders in the drawer with the dies and spare parts for the priming system on my press in another.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 27, 2012, 08:40 AM   #20
tkglazie

I keep the 3-4 dies for each caliber in their own turret. Turrets are $9. It is a great luxury to put a turret away after a loading session and and bring it back out later and pick up where I left off. I dont even have to take them out of the turret when it is time for cleaning.
Old May 27, 2012, 02:06 PM   #21
Marco Califo

Turrets are great

Turrets are great but Lyman's cost more.

I like the die boxes because I have become fond of using my Lee hand press while sitting on my couch. The Hornady boxes also hold the dies in their Lee Quick Lock bushings. I keep all that plus a powder measure, RCBS hand primer, bullets, primers, tools, etc. in a tool box I can take to the range or even work on graveyard shifts.
Old May 27, 2012, 02:54 PM   #22
tkglazie

Thats a good point Marco. I load mostly handgun cartridges, start to finish in one sitting, but I have a Lee handpress on my wishlist for loading my .32 Special rifle rounds. I might have to try your setup for that caliber. It would be nice to prep brass and relax on the La-z-boy at the same time. Anything that makes it easier to "get loading", whenever, wherever you want to is a good thing.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:35 AM   #23
hooligan1

I leave mine in the appropriately labeled boxes they came in.
Old May 30, 2012, 03:31 PM   #24
F. Guffey

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=B004E3Q2R4

I have 5 cabinets that are like and or similar to the one listed in the link. One drawer holds 16 RCBS dies supported with wedges with room on one end for Herters and RCBS fiber boxes, extra dies are stacked on edge and or two high.

F. Guffey
Old May 30, 2012, 04:54 PM   #25
carprivershooter

Each set of dies are set up in their own turret and stored the origanal case. I have several that came in a flat case. I let the turret rest on a ring I borrowed from my wifes canning supplies. All dies are stored in a cabnet. All dies are Lee. I like the fact I can take the turret out of the press and put it away and when I reload that caliber I just add the powder measure and I am ready to rock and roll, No adjustments other than check the first few rounds and check powder wieght every 5 rounds.