The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 5, 2008, 12:38 PM   #1
safety1st

Top 10 Gift Of The Season--- Bedside Shotgun Rack

The BackUp shotgun rack is definitely the most unique and useful gift of the season...

see their press release and website!!

www.the-backup.com

http://www.24-7pressrelease.com/pres...rack-73256.php
Old November 5, 2008, 07:12 PM   #2
Hemicuda

Ok... whay they DON'T tell you about that little 40 buck + S&H wonder is WHAT IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT IT? OR HOW IT WORKS, OR WHERE IT MOUNTS? (besides "on the bedside"...)

Does it somehow automatically position the barrel right up the perps poop-schute? if so, how does it differentiate between a perp and a friend?

it tells me nothing of what it does, how it mounts... so, WTH is it for? why is it so cool and special?

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old November 6, 2008, 12:53 AM   #3
aeonrevolution

It looks like just a crimped piece of metal to rest a shotgun on that bolts onto the bottom of your bed.

Sounds like a miserable idea to me...

When I wake up in the morning I am fumbling all over the place. Last thing I would want is a loaded shotgun where my feet land.
Old November 6, 2008, 03:19 PM   #4
johnbt

"This product is not intended for use in homes with children."

I suppose it might be useful in a round house with no corners to stand the gun in.

John
Old November 6, 2008, 09:32 PM   #5
grize

WOW!! Don't know what the problem is with those guys(read post above) but seem like a nice way to keep a shotgun at the ready, and as for how it works/mounts look at the website and watch the old lady slip it between the mattress and box spring, seem simple enough.

Matt
Old November 6, 2008, 11:40 PM   #6
Ricky B

Safety1st, why don't you disclose your affiliation with the vendor?
Old November 7, 2008, 11:15 PM   #7
johnbt

"Don't know what the problem is with those guys(read post above)"

Problem? I don't see no problem with those guys. They seem like nice honest straightforward folks.

"but seem like a nice way to keep a shotgun at the ready, and as for how it works/mounts look at the website and watch the old lady slip it between the mattress and box spring, seem simple enough."

So does standing one in a corner.

Lord knows I've bought enough gun-junk during the past 50 years, so if it floats your boat have at it.

John
Old November 7, 2008, 11:26 PM   #8
johnbt

Okay, I'm back from googling.

I watched the video ad on YouTube. Loved the comments.

Found this blurb, too.

"The BackUp shotgun rack, which strictly warns against use in homes with children, is the only reasonable means of shotgun access in threatening times.

There is little disputing that The BackUp offers what is missing from home shotgun protection--accessibility.

Okay, if they say so. To each their own.

JT
Old November 18, 2008, 05:39 PM   #9
ajohnpeters

I do not think safety1st is mine

I am John Peters of Home BackUp Protection makers of the backup. I do not think safety1st is mine. If so, I do not know which person it would be.

We are proud of our product.
Old November 18, 2008, 05:49 PM   #10
LouPran

Something like this just seems overly paranoid to me.

Hell , why not make a big body pillow with a pocket for a shotgun ... this way you can hug your gun all night long and feel safe and secure. :barf:
Old November 18, 2008, 05:54 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Lou, the concept is not new. There are tons of bedframe/mattress pistol holsters. I just store my shotgun leaning on the head board 'tween night table and bed... Suits me fine and I am far from paranoid... Prepared yes... paranoid... NOPE!
Brent
Old November 18, 2008, 06:48 PM   #12
LouPran

Didn't mean to insult ... what I'm saying is ... isn't a shotgun in the corner or under the bed or between the head board and night table ... good enough???

A product to keep it within reach while laying in bed so you can shot from the relaxation of the sleeping position ???

THAT to me is paranoia .

You hear the dog bark , a creak of a door , glass breaking ... etc etc ... you get up and get your gun
Old November 18, 2008, 07:03 PM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I think the intention of this device is to hide it well when the bed is made as well as less obvious when you are in bed but I don't know this for sure as it isn't a concern of mine.
Brent
Old November 18, 2008, 09:10 PM   #14
Ricky B

I do not think safety1st is mine

Safety1st has made all of 2 posts on TFL. One was to start this thread and the other was one in which he said: "I have The Home Back-Up shotgun mount and love it.. " That's it. The only thing he has to contribute is touting your product. And conveniently for someone touting a safety product, he has the moniker of safety1st.

Now who comes onto a forum like this one and makes two posts that are exclusively concerned with promoting an obscure product? And in particular, what normal person would start a thread entitled "Top 10 Gift of the Season" touting this product and citing a press release????

Now you come on and say you don't think safety1st is yours? You don't think? Why don't you find out? Assuming of course that you are telling the truth.

A good product does not need devious marketing.
Old November 18, 2008, 09:17 PM   #15
Scattergun Bob

Brent

I have a tray that sets inside my bed frame and holds baby, I like it better than standing next to the bed. Seems like some folks are a little on edge over the overt marketing of this thread. However, the idea makes sense to me.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old November 18, 2008, 09:29 PM   #16
foggy

It would be easy when in bed to just reach down and grab the shotgun. Other than that leaving a shotgun in a corner would be fine. Looks like an ok product to me, simple concept but would do what it is designed for.
Old November 18, 2008, 11:31 PM   #17
Ricky B

overt marketing

I have no objection to overt marketing. It's the covert marketing that I object to. If the maker of the product came onto this forum and said, "Hey, I've got a great product, check it out," I would have no issue. But for someone to come onto the forum, pose as a regular poster, and tout a product when he's actually some kind of shill does put me on edge.
Old November 19, 2008, 12:24 AM   #18
dv0042

"Hell , why not make a big body pillow with a pocket for a shotgun ... this way you can hug your gun all night long and feel safe and secure."

Now that's funny...LMAO

Tags
home backup , shotgun rack , the backup gun rack , the backup shotgun rack