The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 3, 2002, 06:34 AM   #1
Point Blank

Savage 110 Base Too Short For Scope??

I have a Savage 110 "package deal" (long action) that came with a 3x9x32 scope mounted on it. Wanting a slightly better scope i went out and bought some Burris Zee rings and an older but new Redfield Pardner 4x12x44 scope. Using the factory bases (2 peice)i set my rings on, then lowered my scope on to the rings,only to find that my scope will not sit down into the rings. I tried a Simmons .44 Mag that i have lying around only to get the same results!! The front bell?? is not bottoming on the barrel as i have high rings, its like i need an additional 1/4"-3/8" longer base so the scope will sit down. The base that came with rifle is Weaver style. I have already bought Weaver style rings. Is there any way i can buy a different front or rear base so this setup will work?? Hopefully i havent totally confused you Thanks for any help!!!!
Old March 3, 2002, 07:00 AM   #2
yankytrash

I did a quick Google search for high+weaver+rings, and found that there are, indeed, Weaver rings described as "High", "Medium", and "Extra High".

Not sure which you have, nor which you'll need, but they seem to be widely available.

Good luck in your search.
Old March 3, 2002, 08:38 AM   #3
Point Blank

I will go to Google and look up Savage+base,etc. as the rings are the correct height,my front bell isnt touching the barrel,but the factory Savage 2 peice base will not allow the rings to move another 3/8's longer where my scope will sit down in the rings...thx for trying though.
Old March 15, 2002, 07:51 PM   #4
Nuts and Bolts

Would weaver extention rings do what you want, or am I misunderstanding your problem? see attached picture
Attached Images
File Type: bmp scoperings.bmp (23.3 KB, 132 views)
Old March 15, 2002, 11:43 PM   #5
Zorro

I had to go to a one piece mount on mine to get the scope far enough back to fit the eye relief after I installed a Decelerator recoil pad.

Ah Tinkering is half the fun!
Old March 15, 2002, 11:59 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The bases are too far apart? They interfere with the front and back of the scope, outside the tube part?

Some Weaver bases are longer, with the cross-groove offset from being between the screw holes. If the curve of the bottom of such a base doesn't fit your Savage, or if the mount is too high, judicious grinding is the fix.

Art